Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A link between Earthquakes and Tropical Cyclones

Options
  • 16-02-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently the movement of land and soil caused by strong tropical cyclones can have a role in causing earthquakes in the affected areas some time afterwards. So says this one university study mentioned in the video.

Anyone buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not me,there are plenty of fault lines in other parts of the world and land mases near thoes faults have have land slides from heavy rain from huracanes and such and dont have earthquakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Too much coincidence IMO, these parts of the world suffer somewhat predictable weather and plate movements.

I think the overall concept could have validity, just this one doesn't and I'd guess, if we went back far enough with records we'd see the usual earthquakes happening at their regular intervals even during climate change periods.

If, after a particularly massive and spectacularly wet hurricane passed over a geologically stable area and moved mountains of soil and washed away half the landmass and that was followed by an earthquake, then I'd suspect this theory could be a primary causality.

Advertisement