Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I tell college I'm depressed?

Options
  • 16-02-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

I'm a mature student. In my first semester in college my attendance was very good, even with the fact that I worked on the weekends, etc. I passed my first semester, and had a six week break over xmas.

During this time I became very withdrawn and very down, it got to the stage where I wasn't leaving the house. When college started back I could go in the first week, but since then I've found it very difficult. I really don't want to be skipping lectures, but I can't help it. I feel physically sick when I try to leave the house.

I've an appt with the college counsellor on Monday so that's a start, and I'm back in college, but as for the lack of attendance, I have no idea what to do, I don't want my lecturers to think I am lazy! I'm terrified of telling anyone what's going on because I don't know if they'll believe me or not or think I'm making it up! I'm afraid I'm going to fail the semester because it's week 4 already!

what should I say to my Coordinator, I've no idea how to explain it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Sorry to hear that you're feeling like this. Maybe you could email the coordinator and explain or write a letter. Of course it would be better to go and explain in person but definitely make contact and tell them that you are starting to attend the counselor and hope to get back on track asap.

Try to get some exercise also, it is shown to have very positive effects with depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I had to have this conversation with my college two years ago. Is there a student advisory service? They would ideally be the first point of call as they can give you all your options about repeating/deferring etc (although I'm sure it won't come to that!). Also have a chat with your course co-ordinator and the head of your department to let them know what's going on. You may be surprised how supportive they are, that has been my experience anyway! They will have had students going through similar situations in front of them many times, so don't be nervous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You might be suprised how many people go through times like this in their lives. Best to not dwell too much on the future or failure it just feeds into the problem. Best to try to just look at the present and what you need to do at the moment/next few minutes only for a bit and by all means ask for help where you can too. If you do look to the future see yourself having overcome any problems. :)If you believe in it also ask for help from the supreme being i.e pray. Many feel that this also helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I would start with an email to your co-ordinator about your absence explaining that you have missed some due to health reasons. You do not necessarily have to go into the details initially. If you don't explain your absence they may assume laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

py2006 wrote: »
    I would start with an email to your co-ordinator about your absence explaining that you have missed some due to health reasons. You do not necessarily have to go into the details initially. If you don't explain your absence they may assume laziness.
    I did that on Monday, still waiting for a response.. Afraid he thinks I'm taking the piss..?
    I don't know what to do next.. Im terrified of getting balked in front of a whole class and bursting into tears! The reason for all this is a miscarriage I had about two months before I started college.. I haven't told anyone about it, and I left all my friends behind when I moved here so I feel very isolated here.

• Advertisement

I did that on Monday, still waiting for a response.. Afraid he thinks I'm taking the piss..?
    I don't know what to do next.. Im terrified of getting balked in front of a whole class and bursting into tears! The reason for all this is a miscarriage I had about two months before I started college.. I haven't told anyone about it, and I left all my friends behind when I moved here so I feel very isolated here.

Very sorry to hear that.

A lecturer will not "balk" you in front of a class. They are not school teachers and are dealing with adults. If you are a mature student they will have the sensitivity to deal with you on the same level as themselves. I would not worry about it. They tend to assume/presume laziness among the 18/19yr olds because that is generally the case. They are fully aware that more mature adults have other commitments such as family/jobs/health.

Honestly, don't let it worry you. Now that you have emailed they are aware of your reasons. I can guarantee you they will think more of you for letting them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

py2006 wrote: »

Very sorry to hear that.

A lecturer will not "balk" you in front of a class. They are not school teachers and are dealing with adults. If you are a mature student they will have the sensitivity to deal with you on the same level as themselves. I would not worry about it. They tend to assume/presume laziness among the 18/19yr olds because that is generally the case. They are fully aware that more mature adults have other commitments such as family/jobs/health.

Honestly, don't let it worry you. Now that you have emailed they are aware of your reasons. I can guarantee you they will think more of you for letting them know.

I still have not received a response, maybe he's off on hols or something. I mailed the ULSU welfare officer and she's going to talk to my lecturers for me, and I have a meeting with her on monday!

I still have not received a response, maybe he's off on hols or something. I mailed the ULSU welfare officer and she's going to talk to my lecturers for me, and I have a meeting with her on monday!

Well that is good. Your lecturer may not check their emails till Monday morning. In any case, they will hear from the welfare officer as well. Nothing to worry.

Advertisement