Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

catching my dog

• 16-02-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey guys, I just got back from walking my dog, he is a grand lad, friendly as you'd like and the best lad to bring walking, he never goes to far but does explore a fair bit. Anyway at the end of the walk, it is an absolute nightmare trying to catch him, I just spent an hour in the wicklow mountains chasing him, then I gave up because he usually jumps into the car once you open the door, that never happened, so I chased him some more, lay on the ground because he usually comes over to me when I am on the ground, that didn't work, so I eventually gave up, sat in my car with the back doors open and EVENTUALLY he jumped in, but my head is pure annoyed, I love walking and love bringing the pup with me, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to try and catch him at the end of the walk?

I don't know if he thinks it is playing which is fine, he is a dog but an hour to catch him! It is getting very annoying, and I usually surprise him about 10 minutes before the end of the walk and grab him before he is alert to me trying to grab him. but this doesn't always work, and then he is "On the run" ... haha!

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

Hey have you tired using treats? The idea is when you let him off his leash let him go a little bit away from you, then call him back and give him a treat repeat this a number of times and he should return to you as he wont know weather its time to go home or he getting another treat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

With our golden retriever we'd start the engine of the jeep and rev the engine a few times

Himself would hear it and get worried we would drive away without him so he would sprint over to the vehicle

Maybe try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

normally when I turn and start walking off the little **** comes running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I'm sorry - but this is exactly when mine never get off the leash when out.

I have come across quite a few threads - "lost dog in Wicklow/somewhere else"...

If your dog is not 100% consistent on recall then in all honesty you need to re-examine letting them off the leash. Mine are maybe 60% - alot less with distractions - working on it - but have reconciled that our walks are walks on lead unless in an enclosed space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Had this problem a few years ago. It really does your head in, doesn't it! :(
    I got round it by teaching the dog to sit. Started off on the lead, command sit, then reward.
    Then moved on to a long rope attached to collar, if it didn't sit when commanded, stand on rope, command again until he sat, attach lead, then rewarded. Kept this up for a month until he sat everytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

get yourself a 20m field leash... it still gives the dog the freedom to roam while he is still under your control

An hour waiting for your dog to decide the walk is over is totally not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Or look at doing a specific class in Recall Training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

You're dog has found the best game EVER:D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Get a recall going at home first and then start doing it with more distractions.

I have a dog that will only recall when my backs turned:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Instead of chasing him, try running in the opposite direction. Its a game once you start chasing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

spydercats was on the money, your dog associates you calling him over with the end of walkie time. you need to break that association. call him over give him a treat or a rub, dont leash him, keep doing this so he learns that when you call him over it doesnt always mean fun time is over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

gigawatt wrote: »
    spydercats was on the money, your dog associates you calling him over with the end of walkie time. you need to break that association. call him over give him a treat or a rub, dont leash him, keep doing this so he learns that when you call him over it doesnt always mean fun time is over

This worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

One of my dogs came to me at 1 year old, and his previous owner used to chase him to catch him..... for a year!!!! So when I got him his world was about to change! One of the first times I took him to the beach all went well until it was time to get in the car, he stopped about 30ft from the car and waited for the game to begin. I called him twice, he didn't come so I called my other 2 dogs, they got in the car, I got in the car and left the back door open. He stood waiting, I sat in the car reading, for 40 mins! He eventually realised the game wasn't going to happen and got in the car under his own steam. The end of a walk was never as hard again. I kept him on a training line for ages, frequently calling him back and rewarding him, if he came fast he got a jackpot reward. When I finally let him off I'd call him back regularily and put him back on lead for 10 seconds, 1 minute, 30 seconds, 5 mins, anything random but always let him off again. If he galloped to me he got a jackpot.

The others have given you good advice, it does get better but it's frustrating enough to make you pull your hair out, or if you're me, shout "That's it, you're not coming home, you can beg me all you want but we're through!", people overhearing frequently thought I was breaking off a relationship :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Keep it on a lead, lambing season is almost here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

bobbaggio wrote: »
    lay on the ground because he usually comes over to me when I am on the ground, that didn't work, so I eventually gave up, sat in my car with the back doors open and EVENTUALLY he jumped in

That's funny!! Lying on the ground in Wicklow in Feb! Fair play to you.

You're obviously a caring owner if you drive to the mountains to exercise the dog and lie on the ground in an effort to recall! I'd take the holier than thou comments with a pinch of salt, but most of the advice is good. Treats if your dog is food orientated, or a favourate squeaky toy if he/she is toy obsessed. Lots of praise and rewards every time he/she returns to you. Practice at home. I had the flightiest dog ever, a very very chase and hunt orientated gun dog and I had him returning every time I called. Took ages of practising and training at home, but it was all enjoyable and worked out well in the end. A really long lead can be handy, even a light rope. (chandlery shops have good long light ropes) Toomanydogs seems to have the trick.

Advertisement