Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting devices to wireless modem in another room

Options
  • 16-02-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have my UPC wireless modem in the front room, I have recently moved a number of devices such as my Wii, Western Digital media player, blu ray player and receiver into the back room. Rather than get individual wireless dongles for my devices, I want to connect them using their wired network ports (RJ45) to a device which will then connect to the wireless modem in the front room.

I have a couple of old BT wireless modems which have the network ports in the back but how would I get the BT modem to talk to the UPC modem?

Any advice is really appreciated!

Thanks,

Branners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Your best bet would be to buy an eight port switch.

I don't know if the old BT modems will work as a simple switch or not you could try.

Make sure DHCP is turned of on the BT modems. Connect one of the Lan ports to a Lan port on your UPC router connect a device to another of the BT Lan ports and see if it works.

If it does you can chain the old BT modems to give you additional ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

FSL wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to buy an eight port switch.

I don't know if the old BT modems will work as a simple switch or not you could try.

Make sure DHCP is turned of on the BT modems. Connect one of the Lan ports to a Lan port on your UPC router connect a device to another of the BT Lan ports and see if it works.

If it does you can chain the old BT modems to give you additional ports.

Thanks for the reply, but I can't run a cable between the modems. I want to connect them wirelessly, a wireless bridge as such!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Forgot about this thread until I found this on Komplett:

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/access_points/20023209/netgear_range_extender_wn2000rpt/details.aspx

I think it is exactly what I am looking for, has anyone else used one before I buy?

Thanks,

Branners

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think most cheaper modem/routers have a repeater function it's something you'd find in higher end pro gear.

branners69 link is about as cheap a solution you can find.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think most cheaper modem/routers have a repeater function it's something you'd find in higher end pro gear.

branners69 link is about as cheap a solution you can find.

Homeplug may be an option.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339170886&sr=8-1

I think you can get faster ones now. Better connection than wireless would be I think.

One of these and a cheap switch should do what you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement