Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install new OS

Options
  • 16-02-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

hi,

I recently built a new computer and accidently installed a 32 bit windows 7 OS instead of 64 bit.

I have the cd for the new os I want to install but computer won't run it. I have tried loading from cd on startup as well but still no luck. I don't mind losing what I have stored on the computer as it ain't much!

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

ricko187 wrote: »
    I have the cd for the new os I want to install but computer won't run it. I have tried loading from cd on startup as well but still no luck.
    What happens?

Did you go into the Bios and set it to boot from Disk Drive?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Change "Boot Order" in the bios to CD/DVD ROM first. Also look for a "Boot Devices" menu (usually F11 or F12 at post) where you can pick the cd/dvd drive to boot off

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ricko187

I tried that and it doesn't recognise the cd and boots up normally, could it be the cd that is not working ?

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I tried that and it doesn't recognise the cd and boots up normally, could it be the cd that is not working ?

Thanks for your help
    Is the CD burnt or an original? If its burnt it may not have been burnt correctly, re burn the iso using something like imgburn to burn it (extracting the iso and burning folders wont work, as your excluding the boot sectors of the disc).
    If its an original disc/working burnt disc (test it boots in another machine) the DVD drive could be at fault

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

hi,

I recently built a new computer and accidently installed a 32 bit windows 7 OS instead of 64 bit.

I have the cd for the new os I want to install but computer won't run it. I have tried loading from cd on startup as well but still no luck. I don't mind losing what I have stored on the computer as it ain't much!

Thanks for the help

If it booted fine from the 32bit dvd then you know the x64 bit disc is bollixed.
    Burn it again, maybe at the slowest speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

If it booted fine from the 32bit dvd then you know the x64 bit disc is bollixed.
    Burn it again, maybe at the slowest speeds.
    ditto.

i gave up booting OS installers from CD/DVD long ago thoug, you're much better off using a USB key imho. much quicker to install the OS (esp. with SSD's) and more convenient as well as easier to update.

Advertisement