Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Query

• 16-02-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking into getting insurance for our 8 month old Airedale Terrier. The thing is he was hit by a car approx 3 months ago and I'm wondering how this would affect future claims.

Thankfully he 'only' sustained 2 collapsed lungs from the accident, no broken bones or any other injuries. He was soon back to normal after a period of rest.

I assume when signing up to the insurance we would have to declare the accident but I'm worried they could not pay out on claims citing that any problems are as a result of the accident. Small print etc.

I realise it depends on what the potential problem would be, I just fear wasting money on the insurance by getting any claim rejected if ever needed(hopefully not).

Any opinions whether I'm being overly paranoid or have genuine concerns.

Thanks
    Bull

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm looking into getting insurance for our 8 month old Airedale Terrier. The thing is he was hit by a car approx 3 months ago and I'm wondering how this would affect future claims.

Thankfully he 'only' sustained 2 collapsed lungs from the accident, no broken bones or any other injuries. He was soon back to normal after a period of rest.

I assume when signing up to the insurance we would have to declare the accident but I'm worried they could not pay out on claims citing that any problems are as a result of the accident. Small print etc.

I realise it depends on what the potential problem would be, I just fear wasting money on the insurance by getting any claim rejected if ever needed(hopefully not).

Any opinions whether I'm being overly paranoid or have genuine concerns.

Thanks
    Bull

Hi Bull, I would definately insure your dog, but just be aware that if you need to claim anything lung related in the future (even if it is unrelated to the accident) the insurance company may try and wriggle out of paying! Just make sure the vet is very specific in their notes and you shouldn't have a problem I don't feel insurance is a waste of money as it gives me piece of mind! I have 3 rescue dogs one has never claimed on insurance, one claimed €4000 last year alone and the other one €3700 last year! So for me it is a life saver! I know Allianz let you may be direct debit and they dont charge you extra! I do think overall they are getting stricter about paying out now, I saw on my renewal that Allianz say your pet should be vaccinated against kennel cough (which I had never seen before), and they have lowered the age for cross breed dogs with increased excess of 35%. Whichever company you decide to go with make sure any illnesses are covered for life!

Advertisement