Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Stooped wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks it's too big?

Nope, seems to be the major criticism of the game from most professional sites.

I'm just at the end of sequence 2. This game has the longest ****ing prologue I've ever come across! I wouldn't mind if it wasn't so obvious from even the back of the box that
    the guy I'm playing as is clearly not the main character
    , let alone any marketing material I've come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I didn't like the first AC as the gameplay was dull. I have fun playing AC2 but every game since has been boring as anything that was added had no substance so I just feel like it's the same game re-released every year.

I had hoped the new setting might change that but I'm now thinking it's just one of those games that has suffered as a result of yearly releases. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Seems to be a lot of people unhappy with the game :-/

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Finished the game. It's late, probably best I sleep on it before commenting properly. Very briefly I'll just say this. I know a few people here or elsewhere have noted the flaws throughout the series, even myself... at least in regards to AC1 albeit a far less extent than others. But I've thoroughly enjoyed the series. Loved every minute of ACIII.

Going to get stuck into the multiplayer over the weekend which I'm very much looking forward too :)

Actually, just reading back on the last page or two, I'm surprised with the criticism. But again I'll comment on that later probably.

Also, I got both the Join or Die and Freedom edition on release day. The former being from HMV in Tallaght for my brother and I didn't get a steel case despite being in there first thing in the morning. While it's not my game, can't help but be a tad miffed off at that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

did this merit the hype of a midweek midnight release at my local ?! hardly of GTA or COD calibur, they'd have bn lucky to flog 10 copies if they even fulfilled it lol

will pick it up over the weekend likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

did this merit the hype of a midweek midnight release at my local ?
    Wasn't at a midnight launch, so can't comment, but it was apparently the most pre-ordered game in Ubisoft 's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

did this merit the hype of a midweek midnight release at my local ?! hardly of GTA or COD calibur, they'd have bn lucky to flog 10 copies if they even fulfilled it lol

CoD caliber? I presume you're talking about the marketing and not the game.

Personally I'll be waiting for the pc release before playing it. I've read the reviews and seen the gameplay and I'm looking forward to sinking some hours into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Midnight launches are decided on the amount of pre-orders are placed on a game, so more than likely they sold more than 10 copies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

MagicSean wrote: »

CoD caliber? I presume you're talking about the marketing and not the game.

Personally I'll be waiting for the pc release before playing it. I've read the reviews and seen the gameplay and I'm looking forward to sinking some hours into it.

that calibre of hype!

gonna just get the it off psn i reckon; free up the drive game looks long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

First few hours are a slog. Cannot get to grips with the combat, why did they change it?
    Reminds me of Fable 3 in that it was not what I was expecting and i'm not buying into the setting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

OmegaRed wrote: »
    I'm a huge AC fan and I was very disappointed in the game. I have been reading all these reviews and they are all giving it 7 or 8 out of 10 when it should be getting 4's and 5's. The truth is, this is a step back in the AC series and for a company that was working on it for so long and with so many people, it falls very short of a AAA game that millions of people will buy. I really hope Ubisoft and the Dev team take note of the feedback so many fans are giving. I hope that all of the positive feedback does not cloud the truth of what people have said about this game being great and the best AC game yet. The truth is its is far from a great game, its not even a good game and I hope real AC fans see that.... For christ sake there is even spelling mistakes in some of the text....

Care to give examples of why its so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Im so disappointed ive to work on a saturday, today will drag waiting to get home. :(

Game is awesome. Slower pace than any of the others, but as ive said to some of sceptic friends who are reluctant to buy it, "Just because its different, doesnt mean its bad."

Ive also noticed some of the stealth missions are much more difficult than before. Even though I sucked at them in some previous games! Sneak into places without being seen or killing anyone? pfft, nah. Kill everyone!!

I'm not particularly good with these reviews of sorts, so bear with me as I probably jump from features and aspects like there's no tomorrow. It'll probably come across as one big fanboi transcript I'm sure :D But I'm not fussed about that.

The environment is beautiful, beyond stunning. Everywhere is to be fair, from the Frontier to Homestead to the cities (which I had my doubts about originally) to the naval side missions. The lighting effects are fantastic, and definitely makes the game more vibrant and breathtaking. The details in hair and facial features is unreal in most characters, Achilles and Charles Lee really shine in this aspect. Blood is also well done, in my opinion, the splattering and such upon clothing and all that is very well done. Lot of the time it would've been simply easier to fast travel for time sake but why bother? I think I fast traveled 4 times in total and that was to get back to the Frontier, say from other side of the Boston or New York because I often, far too often got sidetracked be it with side missions, hunting or just randomly exploring. This happened a lot admittedly :) Yesterday for example when I started playing around lunch time, off and on the PS3, between the first mission I did and the next one there was about 6-8 hours of doing my own thing, not the main story! Oh and before, I forget, the seasonal and general weather was something to behold too, especially in the countryside.

Environmental/setting wise, the only thing that was lacking was the tunnel system. It was poorly done.. Two missions aside where you had to use, I used it once and it while I wasn't in there long, it was a mess and one I wasn't bothered about using ever again (unless there is something to collect down there I suppose).

As for combat.. wow :D I knew they'd improve on previous games but it's near on if not perfect. I honestly have nothing major to complain about. But overall, the fluidity, pace and dare I say elegance, ah sure I will. Transitions were flawless with Haytham, Conor and Desmond. The dual kills in particular were awesome :pac:

Combat at sea, the naval missions while I was fairly confident they'd make it work, there was a lingering doubt I must admit about it's inclusion. Every naval mission I loved. Ubisoft knocked it out of the park with this one and then some! Special mention for the music that accompanies the battles. I love all the music in the AC games anyway. Downloaded the soundtracks, etc and still listen to them from time to time. Sometimes in full which is near 3 hour stretches like in Revelations. I'll have to get the music to this game too.

Character wise, I enjoyed the Haytham part. I know many who didn't, and while I think it dragged on a bit longer than I liked, it's only a small annoyance and anyway, the more time invested into the game for myself, the better.

Connor isn't as charasmastic as Ezio or mysterious as Altair, sure, but as someone who tries to look at it from the characters's point of view and fully immerse themselves into it all. I liked him nonetheless when others didn't or were indifferent to him. Anyone excepting someone like Ezio namely was kidding themselves considering the character's background! Sorry, it's something that has miffed me reading it online or from friends alike. Continue to be astounded by such silliness. Anyway, I digress.

Desmond's is one over the span of the series and needs to be looked at it that way, not just this game. Considering the fact there wasn't many who liked him after the first game including myself, I've enjoyed his development. His missions in particular were great fun in this game, namely
    Manhattan and Brazil
    Rome (Abstergo)
    could have been a bit better looking back on it, it was a tad underwhelming due to being invincible and the conclusions of two characters. One being fairly obvious if you played the previous games. Before I forget, I wasn't expecting a huge 1 vs 1 fight with
    Vidic
    namely, but I dunno, that part felt a bit flat considering everything that had gone on.
    Cross
    likewise to a lesser extent, a much lesser extent. One mission too far for him IMHO.

Two characters I particularly enjoyed were Achilles and Charles Lee. Can't say enough good things about them two, the cutscenes as I kind of eluded to it above with their facial movements being one aspect were sensational. Kudos to the voice actors especially.

Before commenting on the story, I've got to say I didn't find any point in the trading and crafting was something I barely touched whatsoever. I only found you could craft pouches for ammo which would have been damn handy but I got by nonetheless with ease. Since I finished the story, I'll look into it now properly of course.

I've commented on the tunnel system being near pointless so I won't mention that in full again, but once again, two missions aside and you shouldn't ever have to use it again... nor would you want to.

Recruiting assassins? Meh. I had Stephane only till sequence 11 and I never ranked him. Admittedly I had forgotten about that part of the deal and the three or four times I called for him, he always ended up injured.

Worst thing of all? That stupid orphan laughing :mad: He should have been the villain for the laugh alone :pac:

I still don't want to give too much away for another few days as people are nowhere near finishing it. But very briefly I'll say this much, while I liked the ending. I was kinda surprised you weren't given a choice at the end which I so thought was coming when
    Minerva
    appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Only on sequence 3, fairly boring so far, sync goals can f#uck right off. A goal appeared during a mission in red which meant the first I knew about it was after I failed it. I personally think synch goals are the worst addition to the series.

Lots of glitches and bugs. Don't like the combat, feels slow and floaty, doesnt feel like I'm connecting with the enemy. The free running is very smooth. I kind of just want to get on with it and finish this 'tutorial/prologue'

About washingtons journal, I cut open the pages with the bookmark, talks about connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I've been enjoying it so far, but like some people said it begins very slow. I like they way they built it up
    playing as connors father and playing as young connor,
    but those sections definitely could of been a bit shorter.
    I liked the the twist with the father actually being a Templar
    . I think it was a good set up for the story. There's so much to do besides the main story, I enjoying just wandering around the frontier at the moment. My main problem with game is the controls, there's just not enough buttons on the controller for them to work properly with some buttons doing multiple things. I still haven't got the hang of the combat, sometimes I manage to chain 3 kills together and I have no idea how I do it, I don't know if its random or if I pressed something by accident. Also I hate the lock picking its like playing twister with your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Just had to turn it off in frustration. There's a mission where you have to command forces. It's not clear at all how you're meant to do it. Id say 40% of the missions are poorly thought out. The developers mission philosophy seems to be, let them learn how to do it on the job. Most of the big set pieces feel great for the first few minutes until you get to finicky bit that makes you have to do the mission 2/3 times. Happens all the time. They don't seem to get that big cinematic set pieces really aren't the place to be introducing new, hard to grasp gameplay mechanics..that kind of pulls you out of the awesome set piece...

A few more frustrations. Horse riding is terrible...why didn't they just play red dead for like 5 minutes...

Combat is so hit and miss, it's clear they changed it to be more like Arkham City..but instead of being free flowing it ends up being awkward and mixes in some of the best animations I've ever seen.

Aiming with the left bumper is so dumb especially if your firing a weapon...you have to hold Y and (right hand) and aim with the right stick (right hand!) would have made so much more sense to hold the left button and automatically go into aiming mode with whatever weapon you have equipped. Instead it's finger gymnastics.

The best thing in the game is the forest parkour. Connor is brilliant at the start and now he's just angry at everyone for no real reason.

Brotherhood is the best the series has ever been.Ezio at his best, Combat was great, story was great and all the mechanics the added were awesome....

I honestly don't know if I can finish it :( The naval stuff is still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I got the Join or Die edition delivered yesterday but I've only played 10 mins. With a young baby in the house I can't sit down and get stuck into it. I'd only get to play a few minutes at a time. Not the best way to enjoy an AC game.

I'm playing a bit of the new NFS game as that is more pick up and play for a minute then put down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Maybe mentioned already but near the start did anyone go back and talk to Benjamin Franklin :confused:

Last time I did he gave me 8 points as to why
    mature women
    were so awesome :D

Played a little more of sequence 3 tonight and 1 thing that is really starting to grind my gears is that for the most part in order to get 100% sync you need to do all the objectives in one run, fine if you know what they are at the outset and don't fail them as they pop up on screen for the 1st time, but usually the 1st you hear of them is when you are dangerously close to failing them and usually do.

Am I correct in assuming that this pattern will continue? Of restarting every mission for 100% sync because the game is set to screw you at every turn because of poor design in this aspect? in that because the optional objectives sometimes only appear so close to the fact you blink and miss them you end up having to restart?

Edit: To qualify "poor design" there, to fail something because i suck or don't have necessary skills power ups etc is cool , but to fail something because the game doesn't tell you what the rules are in time is poor design imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just watching the end credits roll now. Love this game. Absolutely love it. And I didn't even do half of it. As said above, I didn't recruit or use any assassins. Barely traded or crafted anything. Didn't Liberate anywhere unless I happened to be passing by. Barely hunted. Didn't collect peg leg trinkets, feathers or almanac pages.

All that I didn't do, and the game still took me about 17 or 18 hours. Incredible.

Love the new combat. I really liked Connor, and think he's a fine replacement for Ezio. Most of the characters were brilliant.

The Desmond bits were brilliant, and I only wish we had more of them. The end credits go on forever because they're still rolling as I type this on my phone even though they'd been on for a few minutes before I started typing. Story opens a whole range of possibilities for future games though I hope future games answers some of the questions this ending threw up.

Naval battles were surprisingly good.

Loved this game. Absolutely loved it. Few flaws here and there (they still haven't managed to make NPCs walk at a pace which is the same as either your normal walking and fast walking though). But overall, worthy of the name Assassin's Creed 3

• Advertisement

Also, the variety in the missions is something which was seriously lacking in the previous two games, and the game gave the best antagonists since AC2 (I always thought Cesare Borgia was a bit too OTT as a villain). The antagonists in this game were more subtle, and more sinister with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK have to admit the story developmnt at the end of sequence 3 kind of made the sluggishly paced opening worth struggling through.
    Wish the marketing material had of been a bit cheekier to create a twist ala Raiden in MGS2 though. Great achievement title though

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rpeters

if you think your bugs are bad listen up. I just found a bug on the mission after bunker hill where they tell you to go to new york, and then when you try fast travelling there from the ship captain/harbourmaster it doesn't do anything, you press fast travel and nothing happens. (this is the ps3 version), so basically my single player experience just ended and I'm only 1/3 of the way done. no new york, no rest of game, all i have now is multiplayer.
    Thanks ubisoft last game I EVER buy from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

OK have to admit the story developmnt at the end of sequence 3 kind of made the sluggishly paced opening worth struggling through.
    Wish the marketing material had of been a bit cheekier to create a twist ala Raiden in MGS2 though. Great achievement title though

That would have been excellent.

rpeters wrote: »
    if you think your bugs are bad listen up. I just found a bug on the mission after bunker hill where they tell you to go to new york, and then when you try fast travelling there from the ship captain/harbourmaster it doesn't do anything, you press fast travel and nothing happens. (this is the ps3 version), so basically my single player experience just ended and I'm only 1/3 of the way done. no new york, no rest of game, all i have now is multiplayer.
    Thanks ubisoft last game I EVER buy from you.

You can't fast travel to it because you haven't been there yet. You have to walk to it from the Frontier. Same happened me. I saw New York on the Harbourmaster map but it wouldn't let me travel to it. But it's not a bug. You just have to open New York first by walking to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

That would have been excellent , but instead we got the longest, most boring prologue in a game ever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm 16 hours into the game and only started Sequence 7. I can understand some peoples gripes about certain aspects, but I think the pros far outweigh the cons. This game is huge. Not overly sized, but huge in that there is so much to do. Im loving building up the Homestead, hunting in the Frontier:
    Sasquatch anyone?
    , meeting all the NPCs, finding new areas, random conversations, new kill scenes, there's just so much!

A question though: is anyone else having trouble scanning residents in the Homestead for the Encyclopedia of the Common Man? I keep getting invalid clue for the majority of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

A question though: is anyone else having trouble scanning residents in the Homestead for the Encyclopedia of the Common Man? I keep getting invalid clue for the majority of them.

Only ones I'm having a bit of bother with are the inn keepers, because they rarely leave their inn :/

Simply, you just have to record each person doing a different activity. I'm not too sure about Norris though as everytime I try to scan him, he keeps coming up as invalid, same for the priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Just finished it I enjoyed it

Now see I played AC 1 and looked at the stories of 2 ,rev,bro on youtube and thats probly why I enjoyed it alot more than alot of people on here because it felt more fresh to me
    Overall after this game im still not mad into AC games not into all thoses small side missions in the open world games so i just had fun and enjoyed the story

I love uncharted but i just would not want a new one every year maybe thats why views are abit mixed on here

The 1st 3 hours are boring as fu×k though but it does payoff towards the end of the game

The ending itself WTF!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

trying to stretch this out as long as possible so concentrating on side missions as opposed to the main missions atm.

One thing though. I have no convoy.

I lost it early on by not defending it from attack and now I just don't have one. Is it possible to rebuild it? I'm assuming I have to get some high level homestead members to do this?

Seems silly if you lose it once it's gone for good...

Advertisement