Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Anyone else distinctly underwhelmed with AC3? I got it for ps3 on launch day, played a few hours and didnt bother with it since. I dont like the setting, the story or the characters. I'm not gonna bother finishing it and I've just watched the endings on youtube. Assassins Creed should have died with Ezio.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    Yea i think its the worst one to date, i completed it though i actually liked the ending the part not related to connor the setting and history period did nothing but bore me. But i traded it in straight away if they go the ac2 route with this and release several connor sequels i dont see myself buying them. :(

I haven't finished the game yet, only on sequence 7 (21 hours played) but I strongly disagree. So far I think it is an excellent game. If it continues on the way it is I think it will be my favourite of the series, even better than Brotherhood.

I think if you only played a few hours of the game you haven't given it a chance to open up. The opening is coming in for a lot of criticism but I thought it was well done. It lets you get comfortable with the character of Haytham and you learn about the setting. Plus you get some really good story in the opening too.
    Other great things include the naval sections, something I thought before playing the game I would hate. They are much better additions than the tower defence sections from Revelations.

I happen to really like the setting. It is something new, I've never played a game set during this time in history. The frontier section is amazing. It looks great, the animals are great and building up the homestead has more depth to it than simply buying banks and landmarks from the past games.

Perhaps my biggest complaint so far is about Connor. After playing so many games with Ezio, Connor's personality seems lacking in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I haven't finished the game yet, only on sequence 7 (21 hours played) but I strongly disagree. So far I think it is an excellent game. If it continues on the way it is I think it will be my favourite of the series, even better than Brotherhood.

I think if you only played a few hours of the game you haven't given it a chance to open up. The opening is coming in for a lot of criticism but I thought it was well done. It lets you get comfortable with the character of Haytham and you learn about the setting. Plus you get some really good story in the opening too.
    Other great things include the naval sections, something I thought before playing the game I would hate. They are much better additions than the tower defence sections from Revelations.

I happen to really like the setting. It is something new, I've never played a game set during this time in history. The frontier section is amazing. It looks great, the animals are great and building up the homestead has more depth to it than simply buying banks and landmarks from the past games.

Perhaps my biggest complaint so far is about Connor. After playing so many games with Ezio, Connor's personality seems lacking in comparison.

I didn't like the opening either but said I'd give it time. The last thing I remember doing is The Boston Tea Party mission after that I switched the ps3 and didn't look at it since. With the Ezio games I could sit for marathon sessions doing all the side missions and stuff. AC3 just hasn't drawn me in like the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I dont like the setting, the story or the characters.

Why did you buy it? This stuff wasn't exactly secret, particularly the setting.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Why did you buy it? This stuff wasn't exactly secret, particularly the setting.

Because I'm a fan of the assassins creed series and I didn't know I wasn't gonna like it before I bought it did I?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Agree with this. His interactions with Achilles are good but other than that he's very dull. Also, what's the deal with the voice acting in the homestead? It's awful. But in nearly every other part of the game, it's very good. Haytham and Lee especially.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Also, what's the deal with the voice acting in the homestead? It's awful. But in nearly every other part of the game, it's very good. Haytham and Lee especially.

Very true. I met the couple who run the Inn last night and their voice acting in particular was dreadful. I can't believe they left it as it is.

Because I'm a fan of the assassins creed series and I didn't know I wasn't gonna like it before I bought it did I?

Don't get me wrong, id understand if you disliked the gameplay, the game features or something. They aren't everyones cup of tea. But you can pretty much tell the setting and characters from the trailer alone. It just seems an odd reason to slate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

MagicSean wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, id understand if you disliked the gameplay, the game features or something. They aren't everyones cup of tea. But you can pretty much tell the setting and characters from the trailer alone. It just seems an odd reason to slate it.

You can't get an accurate impression of how a game's setting is going to feel from a trailer. I'm not that far into the game, but it's already different from what I expected. I'm not even sure I can put my finger on it, it just doesn't feel right.

As someone else posted earlier, this game just hasn't drawn me in at all. I feel no urge to play it again, and it's been over a week since I've looked at it.

And for some reason, the mechanics of the game feel more awkward in this game than before. Sprinting through the streets just doesn't feel as fluid or as fun as it did with Ezio...

I dunno, I hope it'll get better if I ever get past this 10 hour tutorial, but as of now I'm really disappointed with the game, which is something I never thought I'd say about an AC game, having loved all 4 of the previous games.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You can't get an accurate impression of how a game's setting is going to feel from a trailer. I'm not that far into the game, but it's already different from what I expected. I'm not even sure I can put my finger on it, it just doesn't feel right.

As someone else posted earlier, this game just hasn't drawn me in at all. I feel no urge to play it again, and it's been over a week since I've looked at it.

And for some reason, the mechanics of the game feel more awkward in this game than before. Sprinting through the streets just doesn't feel as fluid or as fun as it did with Ezio...

I dunno, I hope it'll get better if I ever get past this 10 hour tutorial, but as of now I'm really disappointed with the game, which is something I never thought I'd say about an AC game, having loved all 4 of the previous games.

Well i suppose I'll know for myself when I get it next week. Maybe it will be completely different to what I expect.

this x1000000. this sums up my feelings perfectly. i just wish I could articulate them better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

In this game vs the 4 previous games I would say I went to the roof tops only when I had too when getting around no real reason game just didn't amke you want to I guess.... well that and the randomness of when the enemy would decide you were worth chasing ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll say again, i thought this was one of the better games. There were a lot of complaints about the previous games and every one starting to feel the same, so they changed it up and created a more open world, with less buildings. The world is very different to the previous games, and while i know very little of the setting i still loved it. It felt like a new game to me. Being honest, it felt like 3 games in 1, with the hunting being a completely different game to story missions and the naval missions being worthy enough to have a game based purely on it.

If it has any real downfall (i'm not talking about the glitches/bugs), it's that they tried to put too much into the game, and some of it didn't reach the level they intended, ie: that single canon mission and that single mission where you're in charge of 3 infantry units.

I don't think AC will ever please everyone. People got cosy with Ezio because of the 3 games he was in. Altair was a great character because, well, he is the original Assassin we play, and Connor just wasn't written very well (but maybe that is exactly how Native American people were?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ah now to be fair i did loved all the homestead missions and the naval missions, i felt the frontier could have been more focused on with the gameplay as the cities were the most dull of the entire series and seemed to have an ungodly amount of roof top guards which meant i spent most of the time on the ground.

I think the reason why myself and others may not have enjoyed it could just be maybe like me they found this time period of american history insanely dull and boring compared the previous game. And the tea party with the massive silent cheering crowd how under whelming was that.

The parts i liked the most were actually playing as Desmond believe it or not :eek:

but things like the outfits not changing in cut scene's were just unforgivable. just broke any immersion i had in the game at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

So i bet Assassin creed 3 today and overall i enjoyed it but its still suffers from revelations problems but it was better but only just.

What i liked was the environment. It was incredibly detailed and i enjoyed the character haythem very much. I loved some of the set pieces in the game where you see the full blown out war with the blue coats vs the red coats.
    I also thought the ship battles were some of the most epic battles of any game i played in an assassin creed game, it was so epic watching your crew loading cannons and cheering when ya got a critical hit against an enemy.

Now my complaints

The first 7 hours of the game were boring , it was tedious and there were a couple of times i was wanted to quit playing all together.
    My other complaint was going from ezio to connor , connor felt dead inside and i grew to dislike him more and more. He was a complete knob with no emotion and was acting like an ass the whole way through and as a character i felt he never grew.

I feel the franchise aswell as grown stale and its still basically the same game as the previous ac games , the franchise needs a new makeover not in terms of its presentation or graphics , they got that nailed down but the gameplay is still what i played back in 2009 with ac2 and needs new exciting combat system which still sucks and new mission types , not just follow guy for 10 minutes , easedrop and stealth kill him.

Remove the sync system also , but that a minor complaint.

My last thing i found was negative was the ending.It felt like it was abit rushed.

Overall i give ac3 a 7/10

It was fun half way through and im glad i played it but this was still a setback from assassin creed 2 and brotherhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished it. I started off loving it but my enjoyment of the game gradually waned while playing it. It's a decent game, just not as great as I thought it would have been at the start.

I enjoyed Connor's ending
    Killing Lee, who was a great character and brilliantly voiced, was a good payoff for him
    but Desmond's ending
    was a pile of shíte in my opinion. Why did they make it seem like you were going to have a choice at the end only to take it away? Seems dumb to me, that whole storyline seems like they just threw it together as they went along. Even though they sequel bait at the end with Juno's ''Now it's time I played mine'' line, I'm not really interested in future games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Of couse its setting it up for another game. But in what way will desmond be around will they do a game with Subject 16 will it be someone else with the animus

Could be Desmond's father. He's obviously related to Connor, if they're continuing along that storyline.

Re: The game. Meh, AC has been steadly moving away from assassinations for some reason, there was what, 4 major assassinations in 12 sequences. The rest were quicktime events.

I had read that when you unlock New York you have to actually walk or ride to the location. You can't fast travel there. Well I unlocked New York last night and turned the game off straight away. When I went back to play it I was placed in New York.

Did I miss interesting side-missions along the way? Now if I try to walk to New York I just get transported there by fast travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I finished it last night and have to say despite some of its flaws I did really enjoy it, loved the setting and the world was really detailed, had a lot of fun in the frontier just wandering around, hunting and hanging red coats from trees. Wasn't really a fan of Conner, compared to Eizo he was dull and some of his lines were fairly lame, especially when he was talking to the settlers on the homestead. That ending was some load of ****, was hoping this game would resolve everything, but look like there could be a couple more games to go. Wouldn't be surprised if we see another assassins creed next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Just finsished the storyline. Absolute complete and utter anticlimactic. Very disappointing as I really love this series. Last 15/20 minutes are a complete scripted yawnfest.

Looking back over it, this lacked an awful lot of what made previous installations great. Yes it had the fabulous world and setting, but it gave much fewer reasons to depart from the story line and explore/interact with it. And before I finished the story I had climbed every viewpoint except some of the frontier ones, liberated all of New York & Boston, liberated half of the forts, finished the frontiersmen off...

Maybe its just me - I didn't connect with this installment at all. I also felt pretty much entirely invincible throughout in all combat scenarios - just spam X and then the correct choice if B or A subject to opponent. No real challenge at any stage.

Ah well. On to CODBLOPS 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Haven't played this for 10 days but the more posts I read the more I realise nearly the main problem with this game aside from an unacceptable amount of bugs is the missions themselves. They are so uninspired and felt like they were all made over a rushed 3 month period. The Boston teaparty one was a damp squib for such a historical event and that Paul Revere one on horseback was one of the laziest pieces of game design I have come across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think i must play games differently to everyone else, or i just don't care that some elements are scripted, or that certain levels are not very well laid out. I do critique games, but not as much as some people i guess.

But, i reckon they're going to have to change up the formula majorly now, or go further back in time to tell a different (albeit related) story from an era without firearms. They were grand in 3, as the reload issue made it easier to manage in a melee style game.

I'd love one set in Japan, they have the wild already sorted, just put a Japanese tint and some blossom flowers, and Samurai, and i'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

One of the rumours before the American thing was Victorian London. I still rather like that idea.

I'd like to see a female character as the main one. Maybe throw in some oriental influence. I'm not saying make the character a ninja or samurai but it would be nice to see some of that culture brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finished the game a few days ago.

Regarding the game itself and bugs aside, I thought it was excellent. Probably the most enjoyment I got out of an AC game to date.

But the story, my God is the story a load of ****e. The past is always fine because it's realistic to an extent but the present tense story is just rubbish imo and they leave it on another cliff hanger as if it matters as the next game will be 10% progress in the present world anyway like the other games. Its been fed to us at a ridiculously slow rate.

That's 5 games and we still don't know what will happen in the present. Not only that but it makes the fight between the Assassins and templars seem irrelevant.

And this is why I seriously worry for a movie. If they are doing a movie I would cut out every single thing from the present. Don't go near the animus or Minerva etc. Just make a movie in the past.

Still, just to conclude, I really did love the setting, graphics, effects. It's a great looking game and I found myself distracted in it several times. The multiplayer is also pretty good even though I'd imagine I'll trade it in before it loses any more value.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Everyone's already finished the game and I'm only getting it tomorrow. But hey - better later than not at all.
    I've been to a games' convention and had a chance to play a demo - wow, the sea battle looked amazing! Can't wait to start playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

im getting it friday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Worst.
    Ending.
    Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm on sequence 7 and started skipping cutscenes. Lost all interest in connors story. Im mad to carry on desmonds bit, does that come naturally or do I have to exit the animus to start it?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I'm on sequence 7 and started skipping cutscenes. Lost all interest in connors story. Im mad to carry on desmonds bit, does that come naturally or do I have to exit the animus to start it?

I will just happen naturally. But if you do exit the animus and really explore the area you will trigger some cutscenes that are interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Desmond stuff happens after every two sequences. Alas, it only gets worse as the game progresses - the first Desmond mission is easily the best, and even that's only OK.

Advertisement