Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I actually really like this game. It's been a while since I've seen a game split gamers like this so it's a bit surprising. A lot of stuff has been discussed, just chipping in with a few aspects I like.

What was particularly good was the epilogue (as Connor). You witness two events that were brutally poignant in my view. The first
    where Connor returned to his birthplace to find it empty and a man sitting at the fire telling him the natives have moved west to escape the frontier and their impending doom.
    The second was when Connor was at New York on evacuation day and looks
    to see black people being sold into slavery. There's a subtle shake of his head; he worked in tandem with the Americans for freedom and democracy but instead he sees his work come for nothing. America erupts in a Civil War some years later and the long history of wars, oppression, economic crises, and various plunges falls in credibility, that America isn't what Conner and the Assassins set out for.

I thought the series heralded in some nice new features. The combat system is much more fluid and I love it. You can string together several violent kills with the touch of a couple of buttons. The hunting system is simple and well received. I particularly enjoyed the naval missions and completed a lot of them quickly, they're addictive and engrossing.

Ubisoft's 'telling' of history was much better than I can recall in the previous games. Although it's counter-factual (as in didn't happen) it's an interesting spin on things to see Connor as a vital tool in the Patriots' advance. How they wove the story of revenge and the Revolutionary War was deftly done. The story does go stale at times but overall I enjoyed reliving a vital piece of world history.

Some parts were annoying though. Mission design at times was atrocious. Two in particular stand out: the section where you've to race against the clock and kill the messengers was head-wrecking. Horses at the best of times in the game struggle over rocks and the level was littered with them. It was tight, cluttered and dark - nothing looked constructive and it was a drag. The Charles Lee chase was annoying too, I kept dropping to lower levels or overrunning. Seems there was detail in there for detail's sake. The fast travel function is welcome but flawed - I fast travel to the frontier from the homestead but it leaves me at the homestead and I've to turn and run back into the frontier. It's a small issue but tormenting considering you've to spend a collective age in the 'white room' to get somewhere that should have been provided by the press of a button.

Value is pretty enormous for this. I finished it yesterday and I'm still tipping away at side missions and tasks. I do feel the series is getting drawn out just a little. Is there much to go on from here without an overhauling/fresh approach?
    Desmond's ending needs resolving so it's guaranteed to be another and they may 'trilogise' Connor's story like Ezio's campaign - but Connor's quest has come full circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Where exactly is the encyclopedia of man in the mansion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

MagicSean wrote: »

You have to look at the residence of the homestead doing stuff. If you use eagle vision they'll be in gold. Zoom in on them and the encyclopedia will be updated.

Eg; Lance will be shaving wood, inspecting lumber or mending a fence so use LT or RT and move the cursor over him untill it updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You have to look at the residence of the homestead doing stuff. If you use eagle vision they'll be in gold. Zoom in on them and the encyclopedia will be updated.

Eg; Lance will be shaving wood, inspecting lumber or mending a fence so use LT or RT and move the cursor over him untill it updates.

i mean where is the actual encyclopedia? I scan someone doing something and it says i already have it scanned even though I've never seen them do it before. It tells me to look at the encyclopedia in the mansion to see what I've scanned so far but I can't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

i mean where is the actual encyclopedia? I scan someone doing something and it says i already have it scanned even though I've never seen them do it before. It tells me to look at the encyclopedia in the mansion to see what I've scanned so far but I can't find it.

On your map there are sections for collectables like the courrier missions and stuff. There's a section that will tell you who and how many times out of three you have scanned people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

It's in a bookcase in one of the bedrooms upstairs in the mansion, I think the one on the right as you come up the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

I'd like it if the next modern part of the next AC game was set in Brazil. I thought it was a cool place in AC III and I'd like to see more of it. Although my guess is that maybe Gamespot did mistranslate the lad being interviewed, but still, I man can dream.

I'm at the mission where you chase after the British lads on the horses in Sequence 10 or 11 I think and I'm getting so fecking thick. It keeps on glitching with their random invisible obstacles. It's said really. I had such high expectations for this game. I thought it would've been the best Assassin's Creed game ever, I thought it'd be the Game of the year. But Everything has just been shattered. I was a diehard AC fan. Yes. Was. But now I don't even think I'll get the next one that comes out. And if the ending's what everyone says it is. Well then I'm done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Stooped wrote: »
    I'd like it if the next modern part of the next AC game was set in Brazil. I thought it was a cool place in AC III and I'd like to see more of it. Although my guess is that maybe Gamespot did mistranslate the lad being interviewed, but still, I man can dream.

I think they've made a right mess of it.

Connor put the amulet in Achilles grave back in the 1700's. Desmond found it in the grave in 2012 so what exactly can take place between then and now that would have any relevance to the storyline? If you want to play a game that captures Brazil, play Max Payne 3. AC is all about those historic events so I expect them to either go to Revolutionary France, 1800's London or one of the world wars. Unless of course Desmond is the main character and they set it in the modern day which would be crap really...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yousef wrote: »
    I think they've made a right mess of it.
    Connor put the amulet in Achilles grave back in the 1700's. Desmond found it in the grave in 2012 so what exactly can take place between then and now that would have any relevance to the storyline? If you want to play a game that captures Brazil, play Max Payne 3. AC is all about those historic events so I expect them to either go to Revolutionary France, 1800's London or one of the world wars. Unless of course Desmond is the main character and they set it in the modern day which would be crap really..

Good lord use spoiler tags FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

I was looking to pick up a copy of this on Xbox 360 today. I was wondering where the cheapest place to buy it was? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

The ending is absolutely awful. To play 5 games only to have an ending that just leads into another series of games is a joke tbh. There was no emotion to it. No intensity to it. Altair and Ezio both got great endings. But the moment we've been waiting for 6 years, the moment that we were being lead to in five games is just a thrown together cut scene that does nothing but lead us onto another series.

Assasins Creed could have been a great trilogy. Money killed it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

The ending is absolutely awful. To play 5 games only to have an ending that just leads into another series of games is a joke tbh. There was no emotion to it. No intensity to it. Altair and Ezio both got great endings. But the moment we've been waiting for 6 years, the moment that we were being lead to in five games is just a thrown together cut scene that does nothing but lead us onto another series.

Assasins Creed could have been a great trilogy. Money killed it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I'm loving this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

well i know i'm well behind you cool kids per usual :rolleyes:

i just got my ps3 console about 8 months ago. not a huge gamer but absolutely stuck into the assassin creed series. have them all now. got ac3 for xmas and picked up brotherhood the other day for e15 second hand - the only one i was missing.

started ac3 this morning. love the idea of a theme of the american revelotion - my favourite period in history and one which i have studied so hopefully will be brillo pads. i skimmed through the thread and saw others mentioning about a jack the ripper theme in victorian london - that would be ace!

anyway i only started this morning. have the HD cable plugged in and it looks fab. i'm still only on the boat - haven't reached america yet but bet it will be deadly.

i'm a bit selective about what i like in a game and the ac is right down my street. i got oblivion a few months back because love that sort of game too but turned it off after a while because thought gameplay very clunky and crap visuals but started skyrim about a month ago and find it fantastic and love it so must go back to oblivion for a second shot. i love the games with roaming and interaction and side missions even though they get a bit overwhelming at times. :confused:

so looking forward to banging away at ac3. gonna take it handy though. i wouldn't be one to play for 12 or 13 hours straight. also i feel so sad when i finish everything when the credits come up :(

so heres to ac3. i'm only still on the bleeding boat but its gonna be fab :D

I've finally gotten around to completing Assassin's Creed III and my reaction is kinda mediocre. I enjoyed the storyline but the gameplay was close to woeful. Ubisoft didn't bother to change Connor's clothes in cutscenes, and when you fast travelled, for example, from Boston to the Frontier and then it left you just outside the place and you had to turn around and run towards it.

The game had its fair amount of glitches too, like jumping up and suddenly your 600 metres into the air. Some of the missions were especially tough as well. In my case, the one where you chase after your man on the horse in Sequence 9 or 10. I was met by invisible walls and dead ends.

Now, the part where there was the most controversy. The ending:

I didn't really see why most people were bitching about the ending.
    Sure Desmond died and all but were people not clear enough on why he had to die? Idk I was fine with it. But the ending took fecking ages to finish anyway. Having to follow Juno everywhere was annoying and time consuming.

I liked the modern missions a lot. And I think in this case I bonded with Desmond more than any other game in the series. The modern freerunning was more fluid than Connor's I think.
    Ubisoft could've made another game featuring just Desmond imo if he didn't get finished.

I also thought that the long beginning with Haytham was effective. It made us bond with him
    before we discovered he was an asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

I remember thinking it when the I first saw the setting, and unfortunately it was true (for me).

Terrible idea for a setting. None of the grandeur or sheer epicness of the first 4. The fighting and free running were definitely well polished, but what's the point when Boston and New York were boring? The frontier was a nice change, and worked surprisingly well.

But I think my main gripe is how bored I felt in the world. Maybe if I was American I might think 'WOW! I'M IN THE ****ING BOSTON TEA PARTY', but I just doesn't ring with me, and has none of the excitement of running around Venice rooftops at night, seeing the Hagia Sophia or climbing the cathedral at Acre.

Nice try Ubisoft (honestly. While you may be milking the franchise, there are clear developments through 1, 2 and 3), but please, next time ask yourself: 'Why was AC2 the best we've ever done?'.

EDIT: It DID have the best HOLY **** moment I've experienced in the game series however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ive played a good 10-15 hours of this game and honestly dont feel that bothered with finishing it. Ive found it so far to be buggy and frustrating to play through as well as mind numbingly boring.

Im genuinely disappointed because this was a game i had really looked forward since i saw the first trailer for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I remember thinking it when the I first saw the setting, and unfortunately it was true (for me).

Terrible idea for a setting. None of the grandeur or sheer epicness of the first 4. The fighting and free running were definitely well polished, but what's the point when Boston and New York were boring? The frontier was a nice change, and worked surprisingly well.

But I think my main gripe is how bored I felt in the world. Maybe if I was American I might think 'WOW! I'M IN THE ****ING BOSTON TEA PARTY', but I just doesn't ring with me, and has none of the excitement of running around Venice rooftops at night, seeing the Hagia Sophia or climbing the cathedral at Acre.

Nice try Ubisoft (honestly. While you may be milking the franchise, there are clear developments through 1, 2 and 3), but please, next time ask yourself: 'Why was AC2 the best we've ever done?'.

EDIT: It DID have the best HOLY **** moment I've experienced in the game series however.

I think the American setting was a bad choice and it seems like it was picked to pander to the american audience. I also personally hate american history from around the time of their independence. Its pretty dull and to have the game based around it is pretty boring as well.

I think setting it in Europe during the Napoleonic wars would have been a much better setting. Perhaps having the Templars siding with Napoleons forces or something like that would have been interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

In my case, the one where you chase after your man on the horse in Sequence 9 or 10.

Agreed. That and chasing the messengers on the horse were some of the worst game-level design I've ever come across.

Re: glitches, I didn't see many. When I was chasing Lee a powder keg exploding blew me across the map completely unrealistically. Some of the Davinport canopy was glitchy but other than that it ran fairly well.

• Advertisement

I've just started playing as Connor and I think its epic!

The scenery is stunning. Going to spent ages doing all the side missions and make the story last as long as possible.

Finally got past Haytham's section. Already it's starting to feel like AC again, but this game is really trying my patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Am finding it difficult to get into this game. Haytham's accent is just throwing me off it. It would be a stretch to say I am actively disliking the game but not by much.

Found muting it and using the subtitles is just about working, but all of these cut scenes are annoying. I tend not to skip in case there is a plot point but to be honest I really miss the other AC games right now.

Also the native americans seem to prattle on for ages in saying a simple sentence.

English is so snappy and quick!

apache wrote: »
    Also the native americans seem to prattle on for ages in saying a simple sentence.

While I assume it's translated properly, it annoyed me a bit when a really long sentence only had subtitles for about three seconds, and then a really short sentence had subtitles for nearly ten seconds... but I suppose that's just their language.

I've just done the Desmond mission in Manhattan climbing up the tower. I REALLY wish there were more Desmond sequences. The platforming is so much fun IMO. I'd give anything for a modern AC game at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

apache wrote: »

Ho:w!

Ugh... I just did the Boston Tea Party mission.
    Ridiculous mission. Could have been so much better. You walk into the tavern. Cutscene. You're at the docks. Kill a few guards. Cutscene. Mindlessly slaughter wave after wave of guards. Cutscene. Mission Complete.

What a waste. I can't believe that wasn't a stealth mission where you'd to get Red Coat uniforms and sneak onto the ship, dump the tea and escape. Real shame, and is really summing up this game for me so far. Could be so much better.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ugh... I just did the Boston Tea Party mission.
    Ridiculous mission. Could have been so much better. You walk into the tavern. Cutscene. You're at the docks. Kill a few guards. Cutscene. Mindlessly slaughter wave after wave of guards. Cutscene. Mission Complete.

What a waste. I can't believe that wasn't a stealth mission where you'd to get Red Coat uniforms and sneak onto the ship, dump the tea and escape. Real shame, and is really summing up this game for me so far. Could be so much better.

But if they did the last part then that wouldn't be historically accurate. When they dumped the tea they were dressed as Native Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

But if they did the last part then that wouldn't be historically accurate. When they dumped the tea they were dressed as Native Americans.

Are you saying Assassin's Creed is historically accurate?

Anyway, I don't think historical accuracy should be allowed interfere with good game design.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but it would have been fun. Even if you kept the ending piece, having a MASSIVE brawl with about 40 soldiers on the docks and on the boats, then just cutting to a cutscene where the guards are no longer bothered about what you're doing felt cheap and half-assed to me.

Advertisement