Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jaggy wrote: »
    Yeah that mission was very cool, I find the free running is very fluid in the game and this was a good example of it.

Ha, that homestead mission isn't that hard! How many times have you tried it now? :D

Free running in the Frontier is definitely a highlight of the game.

Running in the city... not so much. :pac:

Up to about 20 attempts now. Each lasting anywhere between 5-10 minutes of trying to do it. I just physically can't do it. It's a stupid mission anyway, why wouldn't Connor just deck them instead of struggling to pull them apart. :rolleyes: :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Up to about 20 attempts now. Each lasting anywhere between 5-10 minutes of trying to do it. I just physically can't do it. It's a stupid mission anyway, why wouldn't Connor just deck them instead of struggling to pull them apart. :rolleyes: :mad: :(

That's what I mean by it being a good example, it's one of the few. In previous games you could pretty much scale an entire city by rooftop / zipline / parachute combinations and never touch street level.

I always liked attempting a jump over a distance that you couldn't be sure he'd manage! If you missed the intended target there was a good chance you could grab/hook something on the way down. That kinda stuff just isn't there in AC3 unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Just keep the L and R circles between the green bars and the middle of the line and slowly back the green bits away from the middle. The green bars cant go past the L or R buttons so as long as you dont move them past the green bar it wont get closer to the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just a few more feathers (about 3 in the Frontier), some Homestead stuff and then the Sea and PegLeg missions before I go back to the main story. I am enjoying the game overall, but it's just no AC2 (Brotherhood or Revelations either) in terms of characters of spectacle, though the naval missions are spectacular looking sometimes, especially the storms and giant waves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

AC2 is one of my favourite games and I enjoyed Brotherhood and Revelations too. I'm struggling with AC3 though...

There are a lot of glitches. I don't think the game was ready to be released and the day one patch is evidence of this. Even after that, I still have cut scenes where mouths don't move, animals get caught against rocks or run in loops when trying to flee. I've also got stuck in a couple of blue screens. It just ruins the immersion.

Simplified controls have taken a lot of skill and fun out of the game. It used to be a challenge to scale buildings. Now it's just press R1 to start climbing and that's all there is to it really. You don't even need to pay attention. So far, there aren't that many environmental puzzles in AC3 and they were part of what made the earlier games brilliant. Climbing trees is cool but there's no real challenge.

I'm still on the fence about the combat. Yeah, the animations are better than ever before but it is dumbed down. No medicine, your armour can't break (not that it happened that much in earlier games anyway bit at least it could). Wait around to counter and occasionally break defence or use a tool. Looks cool but you feel less cool doing it. I'm only finishing sequence 6 so hopefully I'll get more used to it.

I'm getting used to the menus now but they're not intuitive, especially the homestead book.

Quick time events. Really not sure about these. Taking down a cougar or whatever using them is cool but once you've got them down it's too easy.

Don't like that there's no more target lock on.

Animus database. What is with all the ****E jokes. I loved reading the historical info. in the database in all of the other games. In this one it is just annoying. There is no need for "witty" remarks.

Some side missions completely lack interaction. A white screen flashes and that's it. You get no instruction, just an update. Again, not very immersive and no real sense of reward.

On the good side, the frontier looks incredible and the tree climbing animations are beautiful if a little repetitive.

Naval missions seem cool so far but I thought you'd just be able to take the ship for a spin. No, can't do that. Mission only.

I like buildind the homestead and the forts are cool. The game really rewards you if you spend the time to plan out a mission rather than just run in the front gate and it's really satisfying completing a mission undetected. Full synchronisation can also be challening which is a good thing imo. Hunting is a nice addition too.

I know a lot of people didn't like the earlier sequences but I enjoyed them, thought it was a well put together story but still a little too long.

So all in all, I'm definitely going to keep playing and hopefully it'll keep getting better. I'm really enjoying it. Just feels like it could have been better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I just started playing this at the weekend after blazing through the AC II series over the Christmas. To be honest I was getting a bit sick of Ezios story at that stage.

I'm enjoying AC III though, it looks great and so far I'm putting down any complications to getting used to the new controls. The running can be hit and miss. It can be a bit annoying when your just running down a street and Conner decides he would like to jump on the nearest fence and then jump on every little obstacle he can find instead of just using the ground.

But over all enjoying the story and gameplay.
    sin0city wrote: »
    Animus database. What is with all the ****E jokes.
    That struct me as well, don't like the condescending nonsense in every bit of trivia.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ScumLord wrote: »
    That struct me as well, don't like the condescending nonsense in every bit of trivia.

The database was written by Shawn, so it's written in his humour and what he would say if he was actually saying it out loud to somebody.

Penn wrote: »
    The database was written by Shawn, so it's written in his humour and what he would say if he was actually saying it out loud to somebody.

Haven't read the database yet, but Shaun has made me laugh so many times in the game so far.

When you're climbing the tower as Desmond:
    Rebecca: "Don't worry, everything will be fine."
    Shaun: "Or maybe you should worry, I'm pretty sure she was high when she did those calculations.

Yeah, he's alright generally but it's just distracting when you're trying to read, it's interesting stuff. Comes across as biased too although that's probably on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Yeah, he's alright generally but it's just distracting when you're trying to read, it's interesting stuff. Comes across as biased too although that's probably on purpose.

It was the same in AC2, or Brotherhood maybe, i thought. I remember there being some attempts at humour in them previously. It doesnt bother me tho, its obviously supposed to have been written by Shawn, hence the bias towards Brits and the humour.

Anyway, im actually really enjoying this. Thought id hate it given all the poor impressions from people, but so far im loving it warts and all (and theres a fair few warts).
    Wouldve preferred if they kept Haytham as the main character, he was cool as ****. Connor is a bit dull, but he looks cool at least. Love the new assassin outfit he has. And i guess its a change of pace after 3 games with a wisecracking ladies man.

I love the setting which really helps. I know people complain Boston sucks compared to Italy, but i always had a soft spot for tales of Tall Ships and Redcoats as a kid so im totally immersed in this world. Just wandereing around Boston is cool, so much atmosphere, and the frontier is great, especially in the snow :D
    Also this game deserves credit for the best 'wading through deep snow' animation ever.

• Advertisement

It was the same in AC2, or Brotherhood maybe, i thought. I remember there being some attempts at humour in them previously. It doesnt bother me tho, its obviously supposed to have been written by Shawn, hence the bias towards Brits and the humour.

Anyway, im actually really enjoying this. Thought id hate it given all the poor impressions from people, but so far im loving it warts and all (and theres a fair few warts).
    Wouldve preferred if they kept Haytham as the main character, he was cool as ****. Connor is a bit dull, but he looks cool at least. Love the new assassin outfit he has. And i guess its a change of pace after 3 games with a wisecracking ladies man.

I love the setting which really helps. I know people complain Boston sucks compared to Italy, but i always had a soft spot for tales of Tall Ships and Redcoats as a kid so im totally immersed in this world. Just wandereing around Boston is cool, so much atmosphere, and the frontier is great, especially in the snow :D
    Also this game deserves credit for the best 'wading through deep snow' animation ever.

Yeah, he's always written them but it's like he got carried away in this one.
    His input overshadows the entries for me. Must be the stress of saving the world and all that.

I'm still on the fence about Connor but it's hard to follow Ezio anyway. Has to be one of the best protagonists in any game and it's cool how the end of Ezio's story in Embers (worth a watch for anyone that liked Ezio) links in with Achilles and the rope darts.

Agree about the setting and the atmosphere too. When it all comes together it's epic and easy to lose yourself in. With more time and testing it could have been a masterpiece.

I'm enjoying AC III though, it looks great and so far I'm putting down any complications to getting used to the new controls. The running can be hit and miss. It can be a bit annoying when your just running down a street and Conner decides he would like to jump on the nearest fence and then jump on every little obstacle he can find instead of just using the ground.

You may know this already but you can hold X (not sure what it is on XBox) while running and he'll vault over fences and smaller stuff rather than jumping up onto them.

Just keep the L and R circles between the green bars and the middle of the line and slowly back the green bits away from the middle. The green bars cant go past the L or R buttons so as long as you dont move them past the green bar it wont get closer to the middle.

I DID IT!!!!

I just moved the sticks right into the centre at the start, then slowly inched them out one by one. Took a good ten minutes to do it, but at least I had the reward of Twin Holsters and Land Convoy Upgrades to keep me happy. :)

On the sailing, I'm not enjoying it as much as others. I'm in Seq. 9
    where you're chasing Ben Church with Haytham
    and I dunno, the camera irritates me. I hate have to look over the entire ship to try and see where the bow is. :\

Although I've just purchased the rudder upgrade (only figured out how to upgrade the ship last night :o) so hopefully that'll help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

It's a small thing.....but I miss Jesper Kyd's music.

I DID IT!!!!

Nice one! :D

(not worth the hassle at all, is it? :pac:)

Nice one! :D

(not worth the hassle at all, is it? :pac:)

I've gotta say... in terms of cutscenes and dialogue after the mission, no it was in no way worth it. :pac:

But in terms of reward, in that it allowed me to unlock the high quality lumber, and also unlocked a whole pile of other Homestead missions that means I basically have the Homstead fully upgraded now....

No, still not worth the misery. :pac:

Penn wrote: »
    It doesn't suit factual text though. The Shawn character is ok but who'd write fact like that? I doubt an educated English man would write like that. I agree with sin0city his banter ruins the reading. I read just about every little one of those fact card things, I love em and he's ruining them. The swine.
    You may know this already but you can hold X (not sure what it is on XBox) while running and he'll vault over fences and smaller stuff rather than jumping up onto them.
    I keep forgetting about that but it's not even that he's getting caught out on obstacles he goes out of his way to find them. If I'm running alongside a fence (parallel) he'll want to jump on the fence and run along that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Iv just started playing this recently and have only now gotten my assassins outfit. Does the game start picking up now? It's been a tough slog up till now. Does any of the homestead upgrading really mean anything or can I kinda ignore all that side mission stuff?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Iv just started playing this recently and have only now gotten my assassins outfit. Does the game start picking up now? It's been a tough slog up till now. Does any of the homestead upgrading really mean anything or can I kinda ignore all that side mission stuff?

I'm only on sequesnce 6 myself so correct me if I'm wrong but basically the homestead allows you to make items to sell and upgrades for Connor. To make these things you need artisans which you can get by doing homestead missions. You need resources that you or your assasins can collect or you can buy in the homestead book. You also need recipes that you unlock as you go through the game and by opening chests.

Playing a bit last night and enjoying the combat more now. This has probably been pointed out already but for anyone else new to the game, after starting a killstreak you can press tool instead of attack and Connor will kill one guard and shoot another instead of just killing one - takes ammo and you can't do it if you need to reload. Also seems to work with the rope dart and you can then continue your streak.

You can counter with triangle too and it seems like Connor will kill the enemy with most any tool but I've only tried bow and snares so far. Looks cool.

• Advertisement

Twin Holsters with the French Coat Pistol.

FUN! :D:D

Being able to get four shots off in the middle of a gunfight is really handy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

I DID IT!!!!

Although I've just purchased the rudder upgrade (only figured out how to upgrade the ship last night :o) so hopefully that'll help.

Just throwing this out there; don't upgrade your ships ram until you've gotten 100% on all the naval missions. One of the missions is a pain to 100% if you have the upgraded ram.

Just throwing this out there; don't upgrade your ships ram until you've gotten 100% on all the naval missions. One of the missions is a pain to 100% if you have the upgraded ram.

Dang. Purchased everything but the Iron Hull last night. :(

Oh well, I doubt I would have done them anyway. Naval stuff is becoming my least favourite part of the game. I just don't have the skill to pilot the boat, operate the sails, the broadside cannons, the swivel guns, avoiding rocks and getting in position to shoot.

I know there are at least two compulsory naval missions left
    the one where you're chasing Church which I'm on now, and the battle of ChessPeake or something
    so hopefully once that's done I'll never set foot on that ship again. :P

There is a special spot in hell reserved for the guy that came up with the Almanac page collectible.

Would've loved to have been in that meeting:

"Hey guys, you know the way we had loads of stuff in the other games that rewarded players for figuring out how to climb the higher buildings? And you know how we don't have high buildings in this game? Well, how about we give them loads of stuff to collect... but get the collectibles to RUN AWAY from the player? And then right, we'll make it so that they disappear if the player doesn't get them fast enough right? And then make it so that they have to walk away from the spawn point so that they can't instantly retry? That oughta artificially boost the longevity of the game right?"

There is a special spot in hell reserved for the guy that came up with the Almanac page collectible.

Would've loved to have been in that meeting:

"Hey guys, you know the way we had loads of stuff in the other games that rewarded players for figuring out how to climb the higher buildings? And you know how we don't have high buildings in this game? Well, how about we give them loads of stuff to collect... but get the collectibles to RUN AWAY from the player? And then right, we'll make it so that they disappear if the player doesn't get them fast enough right? And then make it so that they have to walk away from the spawn point so that they can't instantly retry? That oughta artificially boost the longevity of the game right?"

Yeah they're pretty annoying.

They don't start moving away until you're actually very close to them. Most of them are on or above buildings. I found the best way to get them was to find one on the map and go towards it at ground level. Survey the area and find the best route towards it without getting too close to trigger it. Then if you've a clean run at it, just gun it and you can usually get it within a second of it taking off.

This should work for most of them, a few others will take you on a wild goose chase across rooftops and branches and you just have to keep up, best I can recommend really!

They don't start moving away until you're actually very close to them. Most of them are on or above buildings. I found the best way to get them was to find one on the map and go towards it at ground level. Survey the area and find the best route towards it without getting too close to trigger it. Then if you've a clean run at it, just gun it and you can usually get it within a second of it taking off.

This should work for most of them, a few others will take you on a wild goose chase across rooftops and branches and you just have to keep up, best I can recommend really!

Yeah, first few were annoying but once you get a few it becomes easier. I find it's a lot easier if you approach them from higher up.

Does feel a bit like quantity over quality with some of the collectibles/side missions.

This game, this game. When it's good it's so good but last night I was doing the Hunting Society mission - spoilers ahead if you haven't done any of them yet.

It's the Man Eater one. Got to the cave where the bear is and spent 20 minutes or more trying to figure out how to lure him out. Threw bait, moved the redcoat all over the place. Nothing happening. Eventually resorted to the net only to find it's another glitch and there were supposed to be 2 redcoats. I reloaded and he was there. Thanks for that Ubisoft.

And does anyone else sometimes get music like you're in an Inn when you bring up your weapons?

They don't start moving away until you're actually very close to them.
    Just after the page starts moving I go to the map and select/highlight it/waypoint whatever you call it. It makes it easier to see it in game because you've got the arrow telling you where it is.

Is there any where to practice fighting and combat? I went into the animus expecting there to be a virtual combat training thing but couldn't find one.

Just after the page starts moving I go to the map and select/highlight it/waypoint whatever you call it. It makes it easier to see it in game because you've got the arrow telling you where it is.

Is there any where to practice fighting and combat? I went into the animus expecting there to be a virtual combat training thing but couldn't find one.

Isn't there an Animus Training centre or something? Press Start and go left?

Have never used it but it's definitely there.

• Advertisement

Isn't there an Animus Training centre or something? Press Start and go left?

Have never used it but it's definitely there.
    It says training but all I see is the manual when I go in there.

Advertisement