Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Wow! that looks really good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Looks interesting all right. It will be cool to see how the more open world environment works.

I can't be the only one thinking that the player characters outfit looks very out of place though?

Also, the quiver in the first screen looks fairly native american to me. That combined with the tomahawk definitely makes a good case for the main character to be a Native American. If so it will be cool in terms of where his allegiance/interests lie

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ok, you play as connor, a half english, half native american, in boston and new york. Ubi say not all english characrers will b evil booooo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I can't be the only one thinking that the player characters outfit looks very out of place though?

this. He's an assassin wearing different clothes to everyone else, doesn't really lend itself well to going unnoticed does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ok, you play as connor, a half english, half native american, in boston and new york. Ubi say not all english characrers will b evil booooo
    link? Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Sounds class.

The refined free running and changing seasons has me excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I liked what I read in that link. Sounds different to what has come before. The only think that I'm worried about is the lack of verticality in the environments. They mention that you will likely be running around rooftops closer to the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thank **** they're taking an entirely new angle. This series is in danger of overfamiliarity. A full sequel jolt is what it needs to shake off the ill will of yearly updates.

American Revolution? A novel, underused setting. Sign me up for the tea party.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Assassins Creed Redemption. Nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm quite excited by this. It's certainly a big change, but so was the leap from AC to AC2. If the Renaissance was the rise of Europe, the Revolution was the start of America's rise; it's fitting that they've chosen pivotal moments in history to explore.

And if Jason Isaacs taught us anything in The Patroits, it's that the English were pure evil in the Revolution! Maybe Ubisoft will cast him as the villain in AC3?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Ridley

Thank **** they're taking an entirely new angle. This series is in danger of overfamiliarity. A full sequel jolt is what it needs to shake off the ill will of yearly updates.

American Revolution? A novel, underused setting. Sign me up for the tea party.

Second. I think Revelations at the very least was coasting (you're in trouble when you're cancelling DS games to put the content in the 'main' series) and as much as I liked Brotherhood I saw it as AC2.5. Good to see there's still something a grand plan. Though it'll be interesting to see if they have anything in mind after Desmond's story is tied up.
    XswPc.jpg

The Templar conspiracy runs deeper than we ever imagined. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, I couldn't send a link a while ago from my phone. Connor the Indian haha. I really like this new direction the series is taking. Revelations just proved how stale it was getting. Climbing trees and mountains sounds a bit strange but glas they are trying something new. Ol Georgie Washington has the apple, wonder if he's a templar or assassin?

I really like the assassin symbol in the tomahawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, Altair and Ezio are cool names that lend themselves to being a bad-ass assassin. Now we're Connor the assassin, doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

From the link above:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...lish-are-evil/
    New hero called Connor/Ratohnhake:ton (pronounced Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo). He has an English father and Native American mother.

More details about the protagonist/scenarios: You will experience Conner's childhood on the American frontier as he is raised by the Mohawk. The Mohawk eventually clash with white colonists who burn their village down, causing Connor to dedicate his life to confront tyranny and injustice.

A new traversal approach that has players leaping and climbing trees and mountain cliffs.

Uses a new version of the Anvil engine that can "depict thousands of troops engaged in bloody battle" along with highly detailed face close
    ups. They later imply that if they used version numbers, they would be like going from Anvil 1.0 -> Anvil 2.0 or something of that nature.

Judging by the images, the faces really are quite good.

Combat is focused on putting you on the offensive and based on speed/momentum.

The main character has thousands of new and unique animations (no carry over from other titles) to support the new combat system.

Character details:

George Washington: Interacting with Washington is one of the core relationships of the game.

Benjamin Franklin: He's not a convenient inventor a la Da Vinci.

Charles Lee: His role is a mystery.

The game is set between the years 1753 - 1783 and is centered around the cities of Boston and New York.

"It's not just going to a historical building now; it's going to a historical event."

Event examples: "You will see the great fire of New York. You will visit Valley Forge as a location that is currently occupied by Washington's forces. You will visit these places in the moment that they were important, and hopefully, experience the reason why we know where they are today. That's the goal."

Connor is in the heart of major battles, and they can now have a couple thousand guys on screen, whereas before it was capped at about 100.

The overall story is still centered around the Assassins versus the Templars and Connor's journey.

Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the Assassins and Templars viewpoints exist in a gray morality as the Templars really believe they're saving the world.

The French and Native Americans will also feature in the game, as was probably really obvious.

The modern day stuff relates to that location in New York at the end of Revelations.

There will be all sorts of wilderness in the game referred to as the Frontier.

The map of the Frontier is 1.5 times bigger than the entire map of Brotherhood.

The Frontier is not empty like in Assassin's Creed 1, but features a third of the game's missions and gameplay content.

You can hunt animals for resources, and how you kill them effects your reward. A one hit kill on a bear gets you a much more valuable pelt than stabbing it eight times.

The wilderness traversal plays a big part in the gameplay in the Frontier, allowing you to use trees, cliffs, ledges, and more to set up kills and combat.

Connor does have a hidden blade.

The world changes as time passes, so a field where a battle happened in one year may just be a series of empty encampments a few months later.

The entire world will change with seasons, so the cities and the wilderness will all exist in both Summer and Winter settings.

In the winter, soldiers will move slowly and stumble about in the snow, and lakes and rivers will freeze over allowing you new terrain to work with. This gives Connor an extra advantage since he can still use the trees and wilderness pretty effectively during this time of year.

There are all sorts of clubs and groups who want you to join and give you quests. These are separate from the mission system. These clubs will contact you based on what you do in the game. For example, hunting a lot will get you an invitation to the hunting society.

There will be a goods based economy, a new property system, and more Desmond stuff.

There's going to be some new puzzle thing like the first person Tetris.

There's a new Animus database known as Animus 3.0.

They're not unveiling anything about the multiplayer yet.

There will be more platforming levels.

Full synchronization returns, but with major tweaks. Missions have checkpoints, You also get significant rewards for doing these tasks instead of a 100%. "Imagine a leveling system in an RPG, except there's a finite amount of XP to find. The more in-sync you get, the more you fill your sync bar. Within each mission, each activity you complete has a value". You can replay everything to increase your score.

They imply there is something resembling the Brotherhood system of picking up fellow assassins.

Aligned groups are gone, but something new is replacing them in regards to factions. They don't say what.

There's a new notoriety system that is more hidden and doesn't penalize you for exploring risky areas.

The game has fast travel because the game has more traveling.

Don't expect more tower defense.

You can upgrade Connor's gear and costume as the game goes on in an attempt to make it feel more authentic.

The cities have a lot more subtle detail now in terms of ambient things that happen.

You can now leap over wagons or slide under obstacles, including navigating over and around moving objects. The free running stuff also has you jumping through windows to trees and then on top of church roofs. Basically, expect the free running stuff, but more fluid and presumably generally closer to the ground.

Connor enters battle with two weapons. The game uses the same controls in and out of battle.

The tomahawk and knife are a "constant presence" in battle. They also let you do double counters and multiple takedowns, and you can chain kills.

There's no more target locking, it just automatically detects your target. Counter/defense are the same button to prevent turtling.

You can use human shields and other context sensitive moves.

They want you to constantly move in battle.

There are lots of secondary attacks like the one shot pistol on the Y button.

There's a new dynamic camera to track the action and make it look as cinematic as possible.

There is a new sprinting system also, so you can hold the button to instantly turn around and start fleeing from combat. They also let you kill people while still moving so you can keep chasing a target. They kind of imply you can even leap off of them after you kill them, though I'm not sure if that makes you faster or just doesn't impede your movement.

They really, really, really want you to constantly move. I mean like they say this every four sentences. Not just in battle, but in every section of the game.

They also try to keep you more in control of the combat than ever before.

Game Informer really loves their animation system.

There are around 2.5 hours of character scenes in the game that are fully acted and recorded. They mean this in Naughty Dog style where they have the actors being mocaped while performing on a set that resembles the scene in the game.

They're aiming for accuracy by having historical dialog consultants and actual Native American actors.

This game has the longest development cycle since AC1, and has twice the production capacity (in terms of work hours) and budget of Revelations.

They want the game to feel like AC3.5, and the game will have its first version complete in just a few more weeks, at which point they're going to spend the rest of their time refining it.

\0/

Dammit I'm getting excited for this and it's only March!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't expect more tower defense.

g6011619998.gif
    The map of the Frontier is 1.5 times bigger than the entire map of Brotherhood.

Great!
    You can hunt animals for resources, and how you kill them effects your reward. A one hit kill on a bear gets you a much more valuable pelt than stabbing it eight times.

Bears!
    The world changes as time passes, so a field where a battle happened in one year may just be a series of empty encampments a few months later.

The entire world will change with seasons, so the cities and the wilderness will all exist in both Summer and Winter settings.

In the winter, soldiers will move slowly and stumble about in the snow, and lakes and rivers will freeze over allowing you new terrain to work with. This gives Connor an extra advantage since he can still use the trees and wilderness pretty effectively during this time of year.

That sounds brilliant. Hopefully it's implemented well. Excited about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hmm. All of that might sound a bit more - ahem - revolutionary pre-Red Dead.

Very different periods I know, but similar setting, and one that only just about held my interest even with the novelty of it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't see how anyone can't get excited about this now. Completely new system, new way to fight, new way to run, new larger setting, and like the last few games you can change the outfit to suit the occasion, ie: the Assassins costume will be great in the snowy Frontier. Assassins tomohawk, the next game related weapon i'm going to get. A main character called Connor, who i will be referring to as Ratohnhake:ton as it's cooler. I'm really really liking where this is going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very different periods I know, but similar setting, and one that only just about held my interest even with the novelty of it then.

I wouldn't call Red Dead's setting novelty at all - genuinely felt like a full-formed, varied game world the likes of which we really hadn't seen before.

What stood out about Assassin's Creed was that it genuinely was a new type of setting (and, arguably, a new type of gameplay) to what we've experienced before. ACII again broke new ground, but refined the game to something that was actually playable for extended periods of time. This seems to both change the setting significantly and take a new slant on what has since become a somewhat tired gameplay style.

Who knows how the game will turn out? But along with Bioshock: Infinite this is looking like a sequel that truly justifies its existence with experimentation and innovation.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Ezio is basically 'Larry' to Italians.

Larry the assasin ;P

More leakage, but apparently an official reveal on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hmm. All of that might sound a bit more - ahem - revolutionary pre-Red Dead.

How on Earth is East coast during the American revolution in any way a similar setting as South coast and Mexico in 1911? Pretty ridiculous comparison to make.

Haven't played an AC game since 2 and I didn't finish that, have Brotherhood on my shelf so might play through that and Revelations before this comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

More leakage, but apparently an official reveal on Monday.

Whether its required or not, I'd love to do a suicide run down the middle

assassinscreed_3_newassests-4.jpg

Liam O wrote: »
    How on Earth is East coast during the American revolution in any way a similar setting as South coast and Mexico in 1911? Pretty ridiculous comparison to make.

em I think it's glaringly obvious he was referring to gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Andy!! wrote: »
    em I think it's glaringly obvious he was referring to gameplay.

i dont remember john marston running around scaling buildings, climbing trees and assassinating guys with a tomahawk :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,316 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As soon as the 13 star'd flag was mentioned I immeditely though of this clip. After seeing the pics, looks pretty much spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Special Steel book casing announced

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11021-Assassin-s-Creed-III-Pre-Order-Steelbook-Incentive-Revealed.html

Hope it is not just exclusive to North America

Helix wrote: »
    i dont remember john marston running around scaling buildings, climbing trees and assassinating guys with a tomahawk :confused:

Did you read the article? Gameplay is changing substantially. I think he was specifically referring to the killing of wildlife, which is very Red Dead Redemption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The steelbook is very nice. Might tempt me to pre-order if they do it over here. But at the same time, despite all the changes that seem to be present, I'm still a bit wary over how good this will be considering I found Brotherhood and Revelations disappointing.

Advertisement