Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

ScumLord wrote: »
    It says training but all I see is the manual when I go in there.

Yeah, afair there's just the manual, stats and one other thing. At work so can't check but I'm fairly sure it's not a combat training room like in previous games. When I couldn't find one i just started practicing combat on patrols in the frontier.

Would be nice to have one with the changes to combat. Hard to master stuff in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

sin0city wrote: »
    Yeah, afair there's just the manual, stats and one other thing. At work so can't check but I'm fairly sure it's not a combat training room like in previous games. When I couldn't find one i just started practicing combat on patrols in the frontier.

Would be nice to have one with the changes to combat. Hard to master stuff in game.

That's rather disappointing. :(

Sorry ScumLord, I just assumed it was the same as previous games.

Bizarre move to omit it if it isn't there, especially given the new controls... I only mastered disarming last night because I wanted to do the Brawler challenges.

I know I'm giving out about this game a lot, but good lord it's so frustratingly bad in in places.

I'm in Sequence 10, chasing down the 5 messengers. The horse controls are downright awful. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Bizarre move to omit it if it isn't there, especially given the new controls... I only mastered disarming last night because I wanted to do the Brawler challenges.
    Did I see some sort of fight club somewhere in Boston though?

I know I'm giving out about this game a lot, but good lord it's so frustratingly bad in in places.

I'm in Sequence 10, chasing down the 5 messengers. The horse controls are downright awful. :\

Don't worry, you're not giving out as much as me :pac:
    It's hard though, I love the series but 2, Revelations and Brotherhood were polished. This one is the best looking yet with excellent additions but it was only about 90% finished on release imho. It's like releasing games so regularly has caught up with Ubi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I saw the ad and thought, "wow, that looks amazing...why do I not like Assassin's Creed much?"

After firing it up, I quickly remembered my reasons. Plenty of bugs, no game breakers so far, but the main reason is the clunky controls. So bloody clunky!

Climbing around ships I managed to several times mess up my stealthy assassinations because he decides to climb UP instead of ACROSS...the prison escape did it for me though, no stealth mechanics at all and I'm expected to quietly escape through frustrating trial and error.

Struggling to finish this...just like AC1 and AC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

I almost destroyed my controller in that sequence...

ScumLord wrote: »
    Did I see some sort of fight club somewhere in Boston though?

I got tricked by that one too. It's not a club. You just o there, press B, he says "Thanks!" and you get a whole bunch of challenges like the Thieves Guild in AC2. :(
    sin0city wrote: »
    Don't worry, you're not giving out as much as me :pac:
    It's hard though, I love the series but 2, Revelations and Brotherhood were polished. This one is the best looking yet with excellent additions but it was only about 90% finished on release imho. It's like releasing games so regularly has caught up with Ubi.

90% is being kind IMO. Some of the glitches (even though they're not game breaking) are inexcusable. Some of the dialogue is half-assed beyond belief, the delivery side missions feel tacked on and pointless with no depth, repetitive tailing missions.
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I saw the ad and thought, "wow, that looks amazing...why do I not like Assassin's Creed much?"

After firing it up, I quickly remembered my reasons. Plenty of bugs, no game breakers so far, but the main reason is the clunky controls. So bloody clunky!

Climbing around ships I managed to several times mess up my stealthy assassinations because he decides to climb UP instead of ACROSS...the prison escape did it for me though, no stealth mechanics at all and I'm expected to quietly escape through frustrating trial and error.

Struggling to finish this...just like AC1 and AC2.

I actually found the prison escape to be fun. Certainly one of the more original missions in the game. I loved hiding in cells and smothering guys as they walked past. :)

For all their simplifying and tweaking, the controls feel way worse in this than they ever did in AC2 or AC1, and they weren't great in those.

I just want to finish this ASAP tbh. I want more Desmond sequences, they've actually been fun. (The Stadium was an example of how a modern game would work, and if you SOD the fact that the guards wouldn't just shoot him then I think it'd be fun).

Right. I'm out.

The mission where you've to chase the five messengers was the last straw. It made me so frustrated earlier today that I did something I haven't done in about 6 years... I smashed my controller off my desk several times with rage. It's just not worth the struggle anymore.

Gonna leave it for a few months, play through my Steam purchases from the holiday sale and maybe come back to it then.

Or I might just watch the rest of the game on YouTube and be done with it.

Gonna leave it for a few months, play through my Steam purchases from the holiday sale and maybe come back to it then.
    I never really noticed too many problems with the rest of the series, not like I'm seeing in this game, but I only started playing them at the end of last year so they were probably all patched up. Maybe by the time you come back they'll have patches out to fix some of the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

I've just reached new york and i'm trying to chase down thomas hickey and its doing my head in!

I cut him off. I press 0 to grab him. Or i press X. Nothing happens. He just pushes me out of the way and carries on running. (On ps3). I got so annoyed i shot him in the head with my gun but apparently i'm not allowed kill him.

Have recipies and homestead unlocked but don't know how to craft or what and it fails. Do they show you how to do it???? Can't create a convoy either!!!

apache wrote: »
    I've just reached new york and i'm trying to chase down thomas hickey and its doing my head in!

I cut him off. I press 0 to grab him. Or i press X. Nothing happens. He just pushes me out of the way and carries on running. (On ps3). I got so annoyed i shot him in the head with my gun but apparently i'm not allowed kill him.

Have recipies and homestead unlocked but don't know how to craft or what and it fails. Do they show you how to do it???? Can't create a convoy either!!!

Make sure you're behind Hickey when pressing O. Might make a difference.

For crafting, you need to do the Homestead missions to unlock artisans. You need to have the woodworker (not the lumberers you meet in the story) to make the convoy.

AFAIR there was a tutorial showing you how to make Barrels when you first unlock crafting.

Thanks for that wnolan. I'll try that. I was in front of him cutting him off pressing 0. I'll try from behind. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I've just completed the main story, WTF is with that ending? I still have so much left to do in the game as far as side missions are concerned. I only discovered yesterday how to recruit assassins, and still haven't crafted anything yet. They should have made the assassins more prominent to the story, so you have to hire them to progress. They kinda seem pointless to the game, only to fill up achievements and such.
    Overall I enjoyed it, but some parts were frustrating as hell, specially the horse controls.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I only discovered yesterday how to recruit assassins

You could recruit assassins?! :(

I finished this game and compared to 2 & 3, was completely underwhelmed.
    There were a couple of places where I had to take a day or two off until the frustration subsided and my blood pressure went back down.

I did feck all side missions as I couldn't see the appeal. I just wanted to get to the end.
    Totally disappointed and the ending was so abrupt and sh!te that I was left there just looking at the credits in disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Beruthiel wrote: »

You could recruit assassins?! :(

I finished this game and compared to 2 & 3, was completely underwhelmed.
    There were a couple of places where I had to take a day or two off until the frustration subsided and my blood pressure went back down.

I did feck all side missions as I couldn't see the appeal. I just wanted to get to the end.
    Totally disappointed and the ending was so abrupt and sh!te that I was left there just looking at the credits in disbelief.
    Yeah you recruit assassins by doing the liberation missions.
    As for the ending, I pretty much felt the same way

I'm on sequence 10 now pottering along doing all the recruitment, crafting and side missions.

My sky TV is down so back getting stuck into AC3.

But disaster has struck. I took a break to do a navel side mission and went for dead mans chest - the furthest one out on the map. The screen goes all glitchy with grids and I can't move or see anything. I reloaded last checkpoint and restarted memory. The cut scene is fine and then it goes unplayable.

Anybody else have this problem? Is this it? My game is over as I can't advance any further?

I should prob have done the navel missions in order of closeness but dead mans chest was on its own not in a sequence. This is ridiculous. So pissed off. I was doing everything in the game getting the most out of it and now this!

Oh jesus. Panic over. I restarted the game. I copped on i was missing 2 trinkets so can't do it yet.
    Gone back to normal.

That should be not available instead of the screen going all shaky and mad.

Also the amount of glitches is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Well just back to report that I have put this to one side and am onto Mass Effect 3 instead.
    Underwhelmed would be an exaggeration of how I feel about this game.

Maybe one day, when there is nothing on the telly, it's rotten outside and my car just won't start I will give it a 2nd go - maybe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm only starting this now... frustrating is the only way I can describe it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

have to say
    this game looked brilliantly with gameplay and trailers
    they advertised it very well since it seems to have let down so many people
    glad i didnt buy this game
    my mate bought it yesterday i told him all the reviews about it and what people think
    had a go
    i hated it , start is too long ,controls are ok , only thing positive i could really say is the new setting i love that part of history thats why, other then that it seems they just wanted to cash in as much as they could on this game
    my mate will most likely trade it in at the end of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

While I agree with most of that, I can't say this game is an attempt at a cash in. This was always trying to be a trilogy and 2012 was the aim considering he Mayan end of the world thing.

There's just no epicness to it anymore....:(

So played a good bit over the weekend and got to say, I'm enjoying it a lot more. The amount of bugs and glitches are unforgivable, the homestead menu is one of the worst I've ever seen, Shaun has ruined the database, Connor isn't exactly overflowing with charisma and they just don't bother explaining the way the combat and a lot of other stuff works. BUT despite all that, once you figure the mechanics out what makes assasins creed great is still there...you just have to wade through a pile of ****e to get at it.

Positives for me:
    Once you master the combat it is really, really good, and the animations are quality.
    The setting and size of the game.
    The homestead characters and building the homestead.
    Naval, brawler and Peg Leg missions.
    New assasin abilities.
    Hunting.
    Mini-games.
    100 % sync. is challenging.
    Double musket assasinations :-)
    I like the story so far too, will definitely be finishing it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just to qualify my post above some more. I'm frustrated with the bugs, clunky menus and controls that appear to be worse than ever. I don't mind a more sedate game, I'm growing tired of the over the top attempts at making everything epic.

I'll stick with it for now.

I'm enjoying the game and taking it much slower than the other ones. I played through them quick to get to this one.

I think the fact you can't just run without free running is causing me problems because conner just takes it upon himself to decide what he's going to do and ends up getting stuck in weird places.

Sometimes the fighting just doesn't seem to work, I press buttons and other things happen.

Over all I like it though.

Finished finished finished! Just finished it there.

I feel cheated now after building up my homestead so well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/07/next-assassins-creed-game-to-feature-a-new-time-period-and-protagonist/

New Assassins Creed coming later in the year with a new lead and setting.
    After AC III I hardly care tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I played this on the PS3 over the weekend... well i played it for an hour and turned it off.... is it just me or does the game feel horrible ? It felt like i was playing at < 20fps at times. The actual graphics looked like **** too.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Magill wrote: »
    I played this on the PS3 over the weekend... well i played it for an hour and turned it off.... is it just me or does the game feel horrible ? It felt like i was playing at < 20fps at times. The actual graphics looked like **** too.

If there's one thing the game can't be faulted for, it's the graphics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Jaggy wrote: »
    If there's one thing the game can't be faulted for, it's the graphics!

I wasn't overly impressed tbh, maybe it was more to do with how ****ty the game runs. I really hope next gen console games standard is 60fps, makes such a difference when the game runs smooth as silk.

Maybe i'll get it on PC if it's on sale soon.

Advertisement