Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best food for Alaskan malamute puppy

• 16-02-2012 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi I'm new to all this , hope I've posted in the right part , I'm a proud owner of an Alaskan malamute puppy he's 10 weeks old now . He has an awful dose of the runs .I did bring him to vets and he's finished his meds he's perfectly healthy it's just the change of food and move to a new home didn't help .I'm feeding him hills science plan at the moment but things haven't improved that much he's stools are mushy .I need to get this sorted out quickly for him .is there any one here that can recommend a good quality food for malamutes as he has a very sensitive tummy , I've been thinking myself maybe Arden grange , fish 4 dogs ,Origen .hope to hear from someone thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Hi There,

Would recommend James Well Beloved - my 2 have sensitive stomachs & since switching to JWB I have noticed a big improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nanuke

marley123 wrote: »
    Hi There,

Would recommend James Well Beloved - my 2 have sensitive stomachs & since switching to JWB I have noticed a big improvement.
    Thanks a mill for your reply , I'm going to Limerick tomorrow so I'll see what they have in zooplus .it's not a very common food it isn't in any pet shops around me thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

What food was he being fed by the breeder? If you dont know, ring him/her and ask and put the pup back on it asap. For the time being, boil some chicken and give him that.

you do know there is a rule about posting about new puppies... You must post a picture also... :p

garkane wrote: »
    What food was he being fed by the breeder? If you dont know, ring him/her and ask and put the pup back on it asap. For the time being, boil some chicken and give him that.

you do know there is a rule about posting about new puppies... You must post a picture also... :p
    Thanks again ,yip I did get back to breeder he did give me some bit of food that he was giving the puppy's to tell you the truth wasn't too sure of it it's red mill so I change it I only whant the best for Nanuke maybe I did it wrong but did the change over properly he's only on full change of hills science plan now and I've had him nearly 2 weeks now .plus I've been giving him some natural yogurt as well . Will I change to food that's better for him or leave him on science plan his poo is mushy and he poos a lot I know he's only a baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Also at this age, you should be giving 4 small meals a day, its easier on their tummies!

ISDW should be online later & has tons of experience with the breed so may be able to offer some further advice. the JWB has a puppy range.

http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/james-wellbeloved-junior-lamb-and-rice-75kg/

Next day delivery, never had an issue with them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Oh sorry no dont change again so if you have had him now at 2 weeks. Or if you want to change it will take you a few days, you shouldnt really change bluntly but should gradually change bit by bit!

I agree with marley and say feed him 4 times a day if you can, but definitely no less than 3. Not all can fit in 4 feeds, so try morning before work, straight away when you get in from work and then just at bed time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Ive being feeding my husky on arden grange puppy/ high in protein which is what i was told huskies needed, i presume your malamute would be in the same boat

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Ive being feeding my husky on arden grange puppy/ high in protein which is what i was told huskies needed, i presume your malamute would be in the same boat
    Thanks so much for all yer replys ,yes I've been feeding him 3 times a day I don't work so I'm at home all the time except if I've to shopping and so on ,I also did wonder about the protein level with the malamutes begin a large breed I wasn't sure of the protein level I have some experience with giant breeds like great Dane and they have to have a low protein level like 27 percent , they have to grow at a nice slow pace so not sure if it was the same for malamutes and plus wheat ,corn soya beans can cause upset tummys there's a lot of food that has all that in it .it gets really confusing with loads of brands put there .all I whan t is the best for him , he's a beautiful fella .love to show yee a picture of him but can't figure out how to load it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yes dont change foods too often, the puppies system needs time to adjust to new foods and what ever perservitives are contained within, My Malamute had bad stomach when he was young also, tried a few different foods over time but always ended up with runny poo until I started feeding RAW chicken which seemed to suit the little guy and have never looked back, only issue in my mind feeding a RAW diet is commitment, if you are not committed then dont even start.

Cooked Chicken and rice is also a good choice to feed before you decide on a type of food but remember no cooked bones. Good luck and hope you can get some pictures up soon.

Yes dont change foods too often, the puppies system needs time to adjust to new foods and what ever perservitives are contained within, My Malamute had bad stomach when he was young also, tried a few different foods over time but always ended up with runny poo until I started feeding RAW chicken which seemed to suit the little guy and have never looked back, only issue in my mind feeding a RAW diet is commitment, if you are not committed then dont even start.

Cooked Chicken and rice is also a good choice to feed before you decide on a type of food but remember no cooked bones. Good luck and hope you can get some pictures up soon.
    Thanks for that advice , if I kept him on hills science plan and mixed raw chicken in with the nuts every few days would that be ok , I don't think I'd be able to afford chicken every day .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Hooked

When I was considering feeding my husky RAW, I did a bit of reading. Most said NOT to mix RAW meat with nuts as the digestion rate or process is different. Nuts in the morning and raw ALONE as a later feed.

I've yet to make the switch to Raw and feed my 11 month old husky Royal Canin mixed with a little of what I'm having. Which is usually veg, pork, steak or I buy him mackerel, salmon, or 4 chicken legs for 1.99 in Aldi and cook one of these THEN REMOVE BONES as you can't feed cooked bones, so I'm told, and mix with nuts.

He's only ever been fed twice daily and in the last few months, he's fed at 8am and a new time of 2pm (as I'm home for dinner). He has yet to turn his nose up at a meal this year - I guess he's happier eating with me at lunchtime in his crate, after I'm fed. Which means I can take him straight out after work at 6pm.

One puppys meat is another's poison. Some swear by one brand, and others say steer clear of Royal Canin for example. If you saw my fella, you'd find it hard to disagree with his feed. He's a tank and in great condition.

But I'm waffling...

In short - don't mix raw feed with nuts in the same meal.

Introduce a new feed/nut gradually over a week, switching the ratio each day.

And if he's 10 weeks old and you're in a position to - I personally would crate train him. It's been great for me and Hugo. He's crated at night, told "go to bed" and wait (crate open) when I'm cooking/eating/opening the front door. he'll treat it like his bedroom - and my fella has had ONE accident in his in almost 8 months. He's in bed around 11-11.30, up at 7am and NEVER stirs or howls.

And I have the option of bringing the crate with us for camping/hotel room stays - and I'm hoping he'll see it as his "space" and settle/sleep for us.

Best of luck with your pup!

Hooked wrote: »
    When I was considering feeding my husky RAW, I did a bit of reading. Most said NOT to mix RAW meat with nuts as the digestion rate or process is different. Nuts in the morning and raw ALONE as a later feed.

I've yet to make the switch to Raw and feed my 11 month old husky Royal Canin mixed with a little of what I'm having. Which is usually veg, pork, steak or I buy him mackerel, salmon, or 4 chicken legs for 1.99 in Aldi and cook one of these THEN REMOVE BONES as you can't feed cooked bones, so I'm told, and mix with nuts.

He's only ever been fed twice daily and in the last few months, he's fed at 8am and a new time of 2pm (as I'm home for dinner). He has yet to turn his nose up at a meal this year - I guess he's happier eating with me at lunchtime in his crate, after I'm fed. Which means I can take him straight out after work at 6pm.

One puppys meat is another's poison. Some swear by one brand, and others say steer clear of Royal Canin for example. If you saw my fella, you'd find it hard to disagree with his feed. He's a tank and in great condition.

But I'm waffling...

In short - don't mix raw feed with nuts in the same meal.

Introduce a new feed/nut gradually over a week, switching the ratio each day.

And if he's 10 weeks old and you're in a position to - I personally would crate train him. It's been great for me and Hugo. He's crated at night, told "go to bed" and wait (crate open) when I'm cooking/eating/opening the front door. he'll treat it like his bedroom - and my fella has had ONE accident in his in almost 8 months. He's in bed around 11-11.30, up at 7am and NEVER stirs or howls.

And I have the option of bringing the crate with us for camping/hotel room stays - and I'm hoping he'll see it as his "space" and settle/sleep for us.

Best of luck with your pup!
    Thanks so much , you've given me loads of tips I'll take it all on board and since Nanuke is only 10 weeks old I bring he's feeds to 4 times a day it all make sence really and trial and error with food brands I suppose which ever suites him best .I'm still trying to figure out how to send a picture up here but it doesn't say how I'm doing it tru my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 purplemania

Have you ever heard of a food called Best for my Dog??? I feed my 9 month old GSD this food and i have to say it is sooooo good. They are a new Irish owned company and you can buy it online also.
    My dog looks and is doing great after being on it, I would highly recommend it especially after the confusion of a new home I found he took very well to it so I would give it a look. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 BennyBlanc0

Nanuke wrote: »
    I also did wonder about the protein level with the malamutes begin a large breed I wasn't sure of the protein level I have some experience with giant breeds like great Dane and they have to have a low protein level like 27 percent , they have to grow at a nice slow pace so not sure

Whats this about protein. I'm a physio not a dog expert but I have one and I like food. Protein builds muscle. What you don't use you wee out, not store. You don't put on weight as such with protein, thats carbs and fat's job (the energy ones). There's loads of posters on this site that give all the examples of huge doses of protein having no effect on bones in dog, do a search in the thingy. Carbs are pure fuel (sugar), more you eat the more you grow, usually outward cuz excess of these is stored as fat. Now that will affect your bones.

Just did a google there, giant breeds seem to need much lower calcium (0.67% instead of the 0.8% for other dogs), makes sense, so that's probably one to watch

Advertisement