Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young people: lack of persistence and "no motivation"

Options
  • 16-02-2012 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

In recent years I've noticed a growing trend of young people with such little self-motivation or persistence to work hard or finish what they commit to.

So many seem to want easy qualifications handed to them, good results without hard work and soft options. Not to mention parents who are content to let them drop out/ fail and sit at home on the couch.

It's scary to think that these people will most likely get to 30 years of age without haven't held a job (and not just because of a lack of work), they are unemployable.

Obviously I'll qualify this by acknowledging that it's not all, but shockingly high.

Where is this coming from? Celtic tiger legacy? Poor parenting? I don't think this is one we can blame the government for!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

You seemed to have answered your own question.

I'm 18 and I didn't grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth. The end of the celtic tiger never affected my family because we were already used to living by our means not above them like most families back then. I started working at 14 and I continue to keep up with my studies in school so I can go to college.

Yeah there are some young people today as lazy as sin but that's because of all the molly-coddlin they got from their parents. I see it everyday, some students are too lazy to sit down and learn the material so their parents dish out grinds. They have no motivation because they always got everything handed to them.

It will adversely affect them later in life, their parents won't always be around to pick them up.

And d'no what at the end of the day the blame can't be laid wholly on the parents or the celtic tiger. After a certain age they have to take responsibilty for their life and work to change their attitude to work. One day those people will be brought down to earth with an almighty bang and will learn what it's really like to work, budget etc.

I'm delighted my parents didn't hand me everyting I wanted. They taught me how to work hard and how to have patience. Both qualities you need today to survive this recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

kob29 wrote: »

In recent years I've noticed a growing trend of young people with such little self-motivation or persistence to work hard or finish what they commit to.

Which part of the country have you seen this in?

I half-appreciate your argument. The only way to succeed in this country is to work hard AND smart. By smart I mean learning concepts which are completely counterintuitive and difficult to understand. There are jobs for young people, but at least 50% of them involve things like the above.

I see why there are a lot of young people with little motivation and persistence to work hard. They are so well-informed, that they have an idea of what they want to do. Sometimes they want to do something which is very difficult to get in, so they lose hope and motivation. It's not entirely their fault.

Advertisement