Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is E-Liquid Safe??

Options
  • 16-02-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked before but can't find a direct reference to it here.
    I have been using my E-Go 510 for 3 weeks tomorrow and haven't smoked a regular cigarette since starting it.
    I've had my problems with it along the way, but am so proud of myself to be cigarette free!
    However, my mother (who is also using the e-cig) spoke to a chemist about it today who said she would check it out. She came back to my mother later and told her that the e-cig is not safe to use:eek: She reckons that the ingredients in the e-fluid are not listed or regulated, that it contains dangerous chemicals (including carcinogenics) and that, be using it, we are putting ourselves at serious risk!
    She only barely stopped short of saying that it is equally as dangerous as smoking cigarettes.
    I am devastated! I have made many miserable attempts to quit smoking and this is the first attempt that hasn't almost given me a nervous breakdown:(
    However, I don't want to stop using my e-cig based on just her opinion and that of whoever she claims to have contacted.
    What do other people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

She came back to my mother later and told her that the e-cig is not safe to use She reckons that the ingredients in the e-fluid are not listed or regulated, that it contains dangerous chemicals (including carcinogenics) and that, be using it, we are putting ourselves at serious risk!

LOL at the chemist aka big pharma pusher.
    Every ingredient in e liquid is regulated, I'm not going into it here but theirs 3 main ingredients, PG used in asthma inhalers, VG used as a food additive and flavorings also food ingredients. Nicotine but thats in the NRT the chemist sells too. Oh by the way so are the carcinogens that she mentioned.
    Ignore the ignorant, vape away, Its not intended to be 100% safe just 99.9% safer than smoking.
    I'm going out now (with my ecig) I'l post a better answer later, I'm actual quite annoyed at the lies that chemist told you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well i doubt the flavourings are meant to be inhaled, but either way they cant be any worse than cigarettes and the thousands of chemicals used to treat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Anything that's is fun or slightly against the grain is bad for you....if you wanna think of it like that! :-)

As digby said above, I'll vape away happily in the knowledge that I'm not smoking analogs.

The ejuice can't be that bad for ya, I mean there's not a lot in it...the only danger I can see is by Vaping a juice with too high a nicotine content for too long.

I'm down @ 11mg juice, and Vaping quite a lot....safe as ****, and I feel so healthy I could run a marathon.

The ejuice can't be that bad for ya, I mean there's not a lot in it...the only danger I can see is by Vaping a juice with too high a nicotine content for too long.

Actually the nic may be the safest part, we know how it affects people and unless you have a heart condition its no more harmful than caffeine.
    The PG has been used in stage smoke machines for years, Vg is harmless and the flavors are all water or alcohol based so as vapor they don't have long enough a half life to do real damage.
    The FDA did a hatchet job on ecigs years ago and what the chemist quoted sounds like it came from that now discredited report.
    The FDA are the American food and drug admin who recently described their mission as 'to protect the internists of the companies who product they approve' Cant fault their honesty there.
    Remember that the chemist is not going to promote something that competes with her products.

• Advertisement

What the chemist dosn't know;
    "Propylene glycol, the primary ingredient in the electronic cigarette cartridge, may be a powerful deterrent against pneumonia, influenza, and other respiratory diseases when vaporized and inhaled according to a study by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson. Decades before the e cigarette was invented, a study was conducted by Dr. Robertson of the University of Chicago's Billings Hospital in 1942 on inhalation of vaporized propylene glycol in laboratory mice. A more in-depth article was printed in the 1942 issue of TIME Magazine http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...932876,00.html for November 16th. "Dr. Robertson placed groups of mice in a chamber and sprayed its air first with propylene glycol, then with influenza virus. All the mice lived. Then he sprayed the chamber with virus alone. All the mice died."

Specific to ecigs;
    Dr. Michael Siegel of Boston University School of Public Health worked with Berkeley researcher Zachery Cahn to review the research on electronic cigarettes. They concluded, “A preponderance of the available evidence shows them to be much safer than tobacco cigarettes and comparable in toxicity to conventional nicotine replacement products.” Additionally, consumer surveys consistently report that more than 90% of e-cigarette users experience improvements in their health—especially their lung function.
    I duno if anyone cares but the level of ignorance you find behind counters is astonishing, if its TV's, potatoes or cars the person behind the counter is only interested in selling what they have in stock and will say anything to further that end. Truth honesty and knowing what their talking about don't sell, lies do, whether it's 1 cart equals 20 cigarettes or ecigs are poison makes no difference, it all just spiel to sell something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.
    I am and will continue to vape happily!!!:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The chemists around the place are selling the jasper e cigs.

My mother was telling me that my e cig is a 'black market' device....she then broke open her jasper device and rang me back to tell me that she has discovered they are nearly the same set up....

She's now happily Vaping her 650mAh ego battery with a DCC! :-)

Advertisement