Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Extractor Fan Problem

• 16-02-2012 7:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Kitchen Extractor fan which has stopped working. I changed the fuse in the fuse board which didn't make any difference. Is there anything else i can check before looking for a new fan? Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 krusty_10

mine has just a regular plug going into a socket behind it. Have you actually checked is yours just plugged in, fuse in that plug ok?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

krusty_10 wrote: »
    mine has just a regular plug going into a socket behind it. Have you actually checked is yours just plugged in, fuse in that plug ok?

Mine has no plug. Its wired into a switch on the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,385 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id certainly check if there is power coming to that wall location. If there is, I would have a good look at the extractor for obvious faults before going shopping

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

mickdw wrote: »
    Id certainly check if there is power coming to that wall location. If there is, I would have a good look at the extractor for obvious faults before going shopping

Picked up a Multimeter recently that might help in the troubleshooting process. What would be the best way to check if power is getting to the wall outlet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Take the wallmoutletoff and check for 230v between live and nuetral and live and earth....

• Advertisement

I took off the face of the fan to expose a blue and brown wire which are housed in a connector. I checked this connection for power using a Multimeter and i get zero. Would this indicate that the switch is faulty and not sending power to the fan??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

It depends on where u have tested... Make sure the extractor fan is switched on or else u will get no voltage anyway. Test at the switch and see if power comes in. Then turn on switch and see if power is leaving the switch...

It depends on where u have tested... Make sure the extractor fan is switched on or else u will get no voltage anyway. Test at the switch and see if power comes in. Then turn on switch and see if power is leaving the switch...

Checked again and I have power from the switch and going into the fan so its looking like the fan is shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Checked again and I have power from the switch and going into the fan so its looking like the fan is shot.

You can do a bit more checking and see if perhaps, it's just the on-off switch or the speed switch. It could be a bad connection somewhere on the cabling in the fan.

Avns1s wrote: »
    You can do a bit more checking and see if perhaps, it's just the on-off switch or the speed switch. It could be a bad connection somewhere on the cabling in the fan.

Its a pull switch so whats the best way to check if that's ok? I checked all the connections and they look fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement