Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meal trough height.

• 16-02-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

quick one to throw out to ye.

What height would ye put a meal trough off the ground if you are mounting it on the back wall of slatted shed. Want it high enough that the cattle wont soil it but low enough that weanlings are not overstretching to get the nuts out. It will also be used for bulls to finish
    Going to put up a stub wall and put trough on it so as to not use up space in the shed itself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Could you make it adjustable on the height, with pins etc. You could also hinge it at the back so you could flip it up out of the way when finished. They'll sh1te in it, no matter what height it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

pakalasa wrote: »
    Could you make it adjustable on the height, with pins etc. You could also hinge it at the back so you could flip it up out of the way when finished. They'll sh1te in it, no matter what height it's at.

Agreed, so no funny corners or folds. Keep it easy to clean. Movable/adjustable is a must for different stock, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'm not near a trough now, but when I was making a small one there a week ago I measured the ones we have for out the field.

As far as I can remember they are around 550mm from ground to the bottom of the trough/600mm approx to top of lip. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

A hinged trough would be a necessity if your intent on putting the trough inside. You'd want a trough 4' high off the ground if you wanted to stop them sh**ting into it! Forget the stub wall if you go this route, it's only eating up valuable lying space.

But do you really want to have to go into the pen to feed them? Slippery slats + hungry weanlings =Tubby sitting in sh*t.

Cut a hole out of the back wall and make the trough on the outside. You could build a stub wall there if you wanted to strengthen the existing wall.

P.S. reading your original post again, I think you have it planned to put the trough on the outside? In which case, ignore my babbling above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Heh lads. No Muckit, you are right.

trough going on top of wall but have flap at back of shed so can feed from the outside.

that way not losing any space but not having to go into shed.

Wall is already there but is near 3ft high so reckon its a bit high to put trough on. Knocking a block off the wall would leave the full height less than 3ft but means knocking off block round full shed.

Thats why I was asking about heights, was wondering would 3ft 4in be too high for lip of the trough for cattle to feed from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If it's only a block wall should be easy enough to knock off a row so. ;) Are the blocks laid normally or 'on the flat'? If they're on the flat, you'I need to take off two rows.

If the wall is plastered, score a line along with the angle grinder with stone disc at joint line. Might save knocking off plaster from the wall underneath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Try one bay at 3ft 4ins before continuing.

Plastic gloves?

Or a fringe of that heavy duty plastic.

Advertisement