Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Are the Germans going to break down Europe for the third time in a century?"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I have only happy things to say about my few previous times of being under Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

BrenCooney wrote: »
    Except our problem is that we are still looking for more cheap money and nobody is prepared to lend to us except the germans.

so lets not go cutting of the nose to spite the face and be a bit thankful some body is still prepared to stick with us and guide us on our path to a bit of maturity.

We

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

We can't compare modern Germans with the Nazis, fair enough. However, there is a much stronger comparison to be made with that of Weimar Germans and the current ones. Mainly that the experience of hyperinflation with quantitative easing that took place in Germany during the 1920s and 1930s has had such an impact on the German mindset that the current situation will not see quantitative easing when it is needed the most (i.e. for indebted EU member states to be able to pay of their unsecured, private, bondholder date accumulated by the French and German banks).

I say, fuck the Germans (along with the French).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

mikom wrote: »
    Quite similar actually.
    Shur the Blueshirts once wore military-style uniforms and greeted each other with the Roman salute.

Yep.

Blueshirts, Brownshirts, Blackshirts... all the one really... apart from mass extermination of course. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

We are the world, we are the children
    We are the ones who make a brighter day
    So lets start giving
    There's a choice we're making
    We're saving our own lives
    Its true we'll make a better day
    Just you and me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Ha, here's me thinking you linked to an academic journal or somesuch :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

El Siglo wrote: »
    We can't compare modern Germans with the Nazis, fair enough. However, there is a much stronger comparison to be made with that of Weimar Germans and the current ones. Mainly that the experience of hyperinflation with quantitative easing that took place in Germany during the 1920s and 1930s has had such an impact on the German mindset that the current situation will not see quantitative easing when it is needed the most (i.e. for indebted EU member states to be able to pay of their unsecured, private, bondholder date accumulated by the French and German banks).

I say, fuck the Germans (along with the French).

I agree, we should tell them to **** off and we'll balance our budget overnight and switch to a worthless currency causing our debts to increase massively. Woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

We are the world, we are the children
    We are the ones who make a brighter day
    So lets start giving
    There's a choice we're making
    We're saving our own lives
    Its true we'll make a better day
    Just you and me

When you're down and out, there seems no hope at all
    But if you just believe there's no way we can fall
    Let us realize that a change can only come
    When we stand together as one

Chorus

I just wanted to join in.

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Ha, here's me thinking you linked to an academic journal or somesuch :pac:

They are out there if you want to read them.

Top tip: .jpg rarely equals something text based.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I agree, we should tell them to **** off and we'll balance our budget overnight and switch to a worthless currency causing our debts to increase massively. Woo!

I didn't say switch to a worthless country or abandon our debt (I said "fuck them", that doesn't mean abandon debt). However, Iceland doesn't seem to be doing too bad and we're going into our fourth year of austerity.

What I do say and let me be crystal on this, renegotiate much better terms for the loan (i.e. half the debt) or default. Either we pay back some or nothing at all and any Economist will tell you that some is better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

No.I asked my brother-in law(he's german)and he said no.So there you have it,all's well............its official.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I didn't say switch to a worthless country or abandon our debt (I said "fuck them", that doesn't mean abandon debt). However, Iceland doesn't seem to be doing too bad and we're going into our fourth year of austerity.

What I do say and let me be crystal on this, renegotiate much better terms for the loan (i.e. half the debt) or default. Either we pay back some or nothing at all and any Economist will tell you that some is better than nothing.
    Iceland has several advantages over us though, massive natural rescources that they can sell options on, not to mention they have a huge chunk of spending power that doesn't have to be put into oil/coal/gas every year.

How would you **** them exactly so?

Iceland didn't have the kind of deficit that we need to borrow for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bbam wrote: »
    In fairness the Germans have build up their own economy from disaster twice or three times to near super-power status...
    Maybe there is something to be learned from their approach rather than the back-slapping, pocket lining inbred politics we run our own country with...
    It does give "wipe out the old ways" a new meaning, doesn't it... :pac:
    However, Iceland doesn't seem to be doing too bad and we're going into our fourth year of austerity.
    This the same Iceland whose 60% of it's exports is fish? Not to mention all of the minerals that they have.

=-=

Have to lol @ Greece pulling the race Nazi card...

amacachi wrote: »
    How would you **** them exactly so?

Iceland didn't have the kind of deficit that we need to borrow for.

By not paying all of the debt off, by kicking up a fuss, by renegotiating the terms of the bailout (as was promised by Kenny last February), by making sure the EU fiscal treaty goes to a referendum. If we do default, the best we can do is default with the rest of the PIGS (at least Portugal and Greece).

Iceland's banking system was £35 billion in debt, that's about €42 billion. That was £116,000 so €140,000, for every man, woman and child on the island. Per capita, Iceland owed 3.5 times the amount that Ireland currently owes. So, it wasn't a low debt by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement

By not paying all of the debt off, by kicking up a fuss, by renegotiating the terms of the bailout (as was promised by Kenny last February), by making sure the EU fiscal treaty goes to a referendum. If we do default, the best we can do is default with the rest of the PIGS (at least Portugal and Greece).

Iceland's banking system was £35 billion in debt, that's about €42 billion. That was £116,000 so €140,000, for every man, woman and child on the island. Per capita, Iceland owed 3.5 times the amount that Ireland currently owes. So, it wasn't a low debt by any stretch of the imagination.

Again, they could afford to **** everyone off, you seem to not spot the 20 billion or so we need to plug the annual hole in our public expenses. Iceland didn't have that kind of gap so could **** the banks off.

We already got a percent off did we not? I agree the EU could and should've done more so far but on principle if I were in charge I would've done similar to them. Still, they hold just about all the cards as far as we're concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Technical group met yesterday to discuss the repayments. Most of the members would like Ireland to refuse the next €3.5bn pay out.

Why wouldn't we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

the fr ted episode on now is inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yep. Getting sick of dem motherfcukers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

The economy doesn't actually exist. As a race we could fix this problem easily by just re-organising how we do things nation to nation, it's just numbers in a database, we could change those numbers, we could fix everything. just like the calander or GMT, we can edit it. It's our creation afterall...Oh sorry i'm making sense again...back in my box.:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The economy doesn't actually exist. As a race we could fix this problem easily by just re-organising how we do things nation to nation, it's just numbers in a database, we could change those numbers, we could fix everything. just like the calander or GMT, we can edit it. It's our creation afterall...Oh sorry i'm making sense again...back in my box.:o

CCNA is a hell of a drug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Is it a similar educational buzz to a Microsoft Developer Master Architect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

mrman2011 wrote: »

I came across a relatively disturbing article

"Are the Germans going to break down Europe for the third time in a century?".

http://www.reece-eu.net/gallery/var/resizes/funny/thats-the-joke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

bbam wrote: »
    In fairness the Germans have build up their own economy from disaster twice or three times to near super-power status...
    not entirely true, the US poured millions into rebuilding Germany after WW2 and they didn't have to pay it back like we have to!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Don't make me go upside yo head!
    You think thats good you should try score yourself some FETAC.

Mad stuff, People say its a gateway to harder stuff like BA and Bsc but thats all hype man!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cafecreme

not entirely true, the US poured millions into rebuilding Germany after WW2 and they didn't have to pay it back like we have to!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

Not to mention the crippling reparations they were forced to pay after WW1 largely created the hyperinflation and depression that allowed the Nazis to capture the public imagination, they went from a minority party with a few loonies to the the madness of the third reich within a few short years with just a charismatic leader and a PR mastermind and the right economic conditions.

.....and judging by the amount of bile and ignorance expressed on AH if we were ever to see a similar movement here it would be the working class,people on welfare and travellers first into the ovens. Mind you, the holocaust was a triumph of rationalisation techniques, seeing as we barely managed integrated ticketing within 20 years I think we're safe from totalising political movements.

Back ot the Germans, among others, were very happy to throw cheap money at Irish banks at a clearly unsustainable rate, if FF had only had the balls and intellect to poker face the ECB for a significant write off we wouldnt be in the mess we are now and Edna appears to be following the same line. Irish politicians are largely in the game for personal gain, not public service. Not one was prepared to fall on his sword and potentially end his career for the sake of the country and speak out about the guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

BrenCooney wrote: »
    We were on a spending spree.
    Needed more money so we borrowed from the Germans.
    Now its time to pay back the loan and we say sorry can no do, we're a bit short at the moment.
    But we like the luxury life.
    So Germany lends us a bit more to tide us over the rough time until we are back on our feet and we can pay them back.

That's you Mrs Merkel isn't it? Now stop the delusion and run along like a good little Nazi. While you're at it, tell your banks we can't keep paying for their reckless risk taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

That's you Mrs Merkel isn't it? Now stop the delusion and run along like a good little Nazi. While you're at it, tell your banks we can't keep paying for their reckless risk taking.

He is a nazi because he has a different opinion that you? how ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭inagoodway

THE GERMANS ARE SOUND. i infiltrated their domain for 10 years, in the nicest possible way. and let me assure they are friendly to ireland,

they are no better or worse than ourselves,

in fact as an irishman you get a very decent welcome there, and every opportunity

actually as two countries we make good bedfellows

billybudd wrote: »
    He is a nazi because he has a different opinion that you? how ironic.

Ironic how you can totally miss the point and the context of my post. So I suggest you look up the meaning of context, because it might actually enlighten you.

• Advertisement

Ironic how you can totally miss the point and the context of my post. So I suggest you look up the meaning of context, because it might actually enlighten you.

:rolleyes:

billybudd wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Ah bless, still not getting it I see. Yet I'm not surprised somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Germany has relied on the inflows of money created following fiscal unity. It wouldn't have been half as successful, and the rest of Europe would not have seen half of the current hardships, had they still had control of their own monetary policies

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

I came across a relatively disturbing article today on Reuters regarding the state of German-Greece political relations. What really got to me was a statement from an anonymous senior Italian government official, who posed the simple question:

Considering the recent riots in Greece as a result of harsh austerity measures, in addition to German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble calling for a postponing of Greek elections in April, does anybody support the notion that Germany may be instrumental in the breaking down of Europe for the third time in a century?

Link to article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/16/us-greece-germany-idUSTRE81F1G720120216
    wrong forum buddy all you will get here is idiotic replies but I think Europe (The European Union) is spiralling out of control.
    France and Germany have the largest control and they call the shots. Imagine being on a train carrying a carriage for every country in Europe. Germany is the locomotive and it that crashes the passengers in the carriages are left stranded.
    Ireland has no resources except agriculture. We were fooked without Europe but I believe the situation Ireland is currently in was inevitable

I came across a relatively disturbing article today on Reuters regarding the state of German-Greece political relations. What really got to me was a statement from an anonymous senior Italian government official, who posed the simple question:

Considering the recent riots in Greece as a result of harsh austerity measures, in addition to German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble calling for a postponing of Greek elections in April, does anybody support the notion that Germany may be instrumental in the breaking down of Europe for the third time in a century?

Link to article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/16/us-greece-germany-idUSTRE81F1G720120216
    wrong forum buddy all you will get here is idiotic replies but I think Europe (The European Union) is spiralling out of control.
    France and Germany have the largest control and they call the shots. Imagine being on a train carrying a carriage for every country in Europe. Germany is the locomotive and it that crashes the passengers in the carriages are left stranded.
    Ireland has no resources except agriculture. We were fooked without Europe but I believe the situation Ireland is currently in was inevitable

Imagine being on a train carrying a carriage for every country in Europe. Germany is the locomotive

Poorly chosen analogy.
    The last time Germany was in charge of locomotives shipping people from different parts of Europe....... well, let's just say getting to the destination took a bit of concentration.....

Imagine being on a train carrying a carriage for every country in Europe. Germany is the locomotive

Poorly chosen analogy.
    The last time Germany was in charge of locomotives shipping people from different parts of Europe....... well, let's just say getting to the destination took a bit of concentration.....
    i was not referring to history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The aliens looking in from outer space see in-fighting between groups in different places on the globe. They find the sheer amount of people more noteworthy , the clear decreasing health of the round planet also of note.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    The aliens looking in from outer space see in-fighting between groups in different places on the globe. They find the sheer amount of people more noteworthy , the clear decreasing health of the round planet also of note.
    i actually question myself for reading that :(

• Advertisement

You don't say.

You don't say.
    how was your valentines day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

i actually question myself for reading that :(
    A bit of perspective delivered experientially. I think this debate is going nowhere.

Good, but it's not about me, Valentines day is about herself.
    Cut some fresh flowers from our garden for her, and cooked a candlelit meal for her.
    She was happy out.

How was yours?

Good, but it's not about me, Valentines day is about herself.
    Cut some fresh flowers from our garden for her, and cooked a candlelit meal for her.
    She was happy out.

How was yours?
    grand. im going to sleep talking here is so tiring.

grand. im going to sleep talking here is so tiring.

G'night so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭inagoodway

i heart germany (das heisst nicht genau lieben aber, irgenwie finde ich deutschland schoen, so zu sagen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Überz Allez through this crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

inagoodway wrote: »
    in fact as an irishman you get a very decent welcome there, and every opportunity

yep, the Germans really do love us Irish (seriously, once they hear I'm from Ireland they all want to be my "BFF" ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

44leto wrote: »
    The Germans are pretty much propping up Europe with their power house economy and going by the thread title they are not getting a lot of thanks.

And coming from an Irish forum who in their history, during WW2 hid behind neutrality when the most evil force in history was running riot in Europe, refused to admit Jewish refugees and our leader was the only one to sign a book of condolences to the German people after the death of hitler. Go Ireland.

to be fair in 1939 we were in no fit state to fight any war.... even today our army is in no fit state to fight any major war.

Ah bless, still not getting it I see. Yet I'm not surprised somehow.

I was rolling my eyes at myself for misreading it, still thanks for the blessing.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement