Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book reccomendation needed

Options
  • 16-02-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some books for my daughter to follow on from the famous five. She has had some issues with reading and as a result it was difficult to get her excited. She absolutely loves the famous five so I am looking for something for her to move onto next.

Ideally it will be of a similar genre but a little more challenging to read.

MrP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

As a child, I too loved the Famous Five, your daughter has good taste :)

I also liked the Secret Seven series, and Blyton's "Adventure" and "Five Finder Outer" series. Also of course Mallory Towers and St Clare's series! Depends whether she likes the adventure/mystery aspect or the general Enid style.

Another goody that I remember from that age was Roald Dahl, good for humour..

Great memories...

I realise however these books are from a different time, maybe there's a more modern similar series.. If I remember correctly the "Adventure" series was a bit more challenging than Famous Five. Another option could be Nancy Drew or the Chalet Girls series?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

HAve to agree with Krankykitty, I loved Mallory Towers as a pre-teen, always wished I could go to a boarding school like it!! St Claires was also good, but if she is into something a bit more challenging Matilda by Roald Dahl is a great one to get them into the Dahl books, which are by far some of the best reading for kids out there. Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Do they still print Nancy Drew mysteries? If I recall correctly they were the girl's equivalent of The Hardy Boys.

My progression as a child was the Secret Seven, the Famous Five, the Three Investigators and then the Hardy Boys, before moving onto Stephen King and other adult-themed books.

Mr. Pudding, you don't say how old your daughter is or (understandably) the nature of her reading difficulties but would she be able for the 'Choose your own Adventure' series? They were always exciting for me as a kid because I felt in control of where the story went, I had 'the power' to change the ending :)

My own brother had a particular form of dyslexia that meant that he couldn't spell (still can't)* and had never read a book until he was 12. Then a teacher introduced him to The Hobbit and he read it start to finish and then read the Lord of the rings!!! :)

*In fact, even today he can write the same word ten times one under the other, spell it ten different ways and in his brain and to his eyes, they are all spelt the same. That really held him back for a long time (despite his mathematical genius!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Choose your Own Adventure were deadly!

What about Harry Potter? The earlier ones are a bit easier and then they get progressively more challenging to read. She might like something that ties into a film...

I remember my sister loved those Babysitting Club series, and Sweet Valley High/Twins too. However, some of the stories in SVH were slightly bizarre! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I would agree with the posters above. I loved all those named as a follow up to the Famous Five.

Other suggestions moving away slightly from the mystery genera (depending on your Daughters age) : What Katy Did series, Little Women, The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭mar48

Another suggestion would be The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis, it's a series of seven books, the most famous being The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. My children loved to read them and my 8 year old grandson is reading them now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Depending on age the Skullduggery Pleasant series might be good. Both my niece and nephew have really enjoyed them and although they are marketed as 'teen', they are 10 and 11 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The Saddle Club, Sweet Valley High/Twins, The Beautiful Dead series, Secret Seven, Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Mallory Towers, St Claires were some of the series that I read as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Thanks for all the suggestions! She is actually 13, but for various reasons her reading is a little behind. It kind of becomes a self fuelling problem. She can't read well sondoes not want to read. I have been trying to find books that make her want to read. The Famous Five worked. I nuts need to follow that up with something that will keep her interested.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I actually remember quite a few of them from my own childhood.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snickett was popular with my girls at about that age.
    There are loads of them and like the Famous Five they feature the same characters so it is easy to just go from one to the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

My sister is around that age and loved the Percy Jackson books and the Cherub books by Robert Muchamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Another suggestion would be to look at the classic versions of well known children's stories, like Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, The Wizard of Oz, etc.

A bit obvious I suppose, but possibly consider some of Blyton's other works? My younger self found The Adventurous Four quite interesting (I think there's just two books), for example.

Speaking of the Famous Five, there is a series of additional books (I think referred to as the 'Five') featuring the same characters, they weren't written by Blyton but I think were somewhat official. Our primary school had them, I loved reading them back in 3rd class.
    Choose your Own Adventure were deadly!

What about Harry Potter? The earlier ones are a bit easier and then they get progressively more challenging to read. She might like something that ties into a film...

I agree. Some might see them as too obvious/overrated but they really are quite engaging, although arguably the latter ones are bit dark depending on their age.

I'd also agree that Narnia is another series that flows well, and would ideal for younger readers.

Also +1 on the Dahl suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would join the local Library with your daughter. I think it is good for children to see you reading also.
    Most library staff can tell you what books may suit her. I know that some body reading the famous five standard of book might like any of the books by Jacqueline Wilson
    I would keep encouraging your daughter to read telling her that the more she reads the better she will get at at. Tell also that it will help her with her school work. I would get her to read out loud to you each day also as she improves this will give her more confidence.
    The local library could have books on some subject that she likes ie cookery, travel ect. If you find books that she is interested in it she may read more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix perhaps. Sabriel is the first one. Started reading them when I was 10 and absolutely loved them. Would probably be a bit of a step up from The Famous Five in terms of reading difficulty and they are certainly longer but they are thoroughly enjoyable.

The Narnia books are excellent also. Except for the last chapter of the last book. Did not like that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

The Secret Seven is probably your best bet if The Famous Five worked.
    I loved Mallory Towers, Ann of green gables and the Babysitter's club too when I was younger.

How about Roald Dahl? Some wonderful, humourous stories. Well known too because so many have been made into films (I find with teens this can give a book credibility, i.e. it must be good if it's in the cinema/ on TV)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

When I was that age I loved the Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High books. I also liked the Judy Blume books. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle is a great book, you're daughter might enjoy that, as well as the Harry Potter & Roald Dahl books. And My sister loved Jacqueline Wilson's novels when she was that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sorchaniri

Really good suggestions here -- I second Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys if she likes the adventure/mystery-solving in FF. And I still go back to the Narnia series when I want a good story!
    I really enjoyed the Swallows & Amazons series (Arthur Ransome) when I was her age as well. Lots of adventures in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Hi , I don't have children, but here's what I loved myself: The little White Horse (not a recent book, but brilliant) and Coral Island (by Ballantyne). Amazon definitely have the first one. Joining the library is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Has she tried Harry Potter? I know some of the books look really big, but if you start her on the first one (The Philosopher's Stone), that's a small not so scary one, she should be hooked by the end of that one :)

I loved them! Still do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

theres a trilogy of books i can't recommend highly enough for all kids called 'the battle below giltspur' 'dance of the midnight fire' and 'lightning over giltspur' by cormac macraois. they are an adventure series set around the glen of the downs area of wicklow. my mam bought me the first one for christmas years ago and i must have read it 11 or 12 times now! i've never seen them in shops but i know they are available on amazon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement