Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad tenant advice.

Options
  • 16-02-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

A quick question for any landlords here.

Have any of you successfully pursued a tenant for unpaid rent through the PRTB ? Is there any recourse available when a tenant renting your property with HSE assistance, where the HSE stops rent supplement for whatever reason, leaves leaving you owed several thousand euro in unpaid rent/supplements ?

Thanks.

Ken

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Write it off. The PRTB are likely to award in your favour if you have strong evidence in your favour. However with that done the tenant is unlikely to pay until you get the order enforced. This will most likely mean a trip to court and that will in turn mean more costs for you. If you are over the threshold for the the district court these costs will be higher as you will have to go forward to the Circuit Court and that will require a barrister.

As regards the HSE stopping the rent supplement, I don't know but I don't think so. I know of a recent case where this was going on (because of the changes where the rent is paid to the tenant and not to the landlord) the said landlord tried to get the HSE to stop the rent but they continued to pay it. He was left owed €1100 in the end. The issue for the HSE is that they make the funds available to the tenant, what the tenant does with it thereafter is really not their issue.

All in all I would say you can forget it even if you did get an order, then get it enforced and got your costs the social welfare tenant type do not typically have the funds to pay back large rent bills like this when it happens and you will end up further out of pocket basically. Social welfare tenants are, in my experience a nightmare and not worth the hassle. I know it seems like money in the bank but you usually end up spending more than you will ever make

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I havd a tenant that left with the house wrecked & a big bill in arrears, I went to the Tenancy board , was awarded the money , tenant appealled , she got a slight reduction , She started making payment & stopped , it is now on its way to court . This is going on since 2008 - 2009 still not resolved . I was out of pocket on rent and damages to the tune of Euro 8000 and had to reinstate the property after her ,

The whole system is a joke , staying clear of social welfare tenants & getting ones that are working is the way to go , because everytime the social welfare tenant has to be reasessed their rent alloawance stops for about 3 months until their case is- resloved. The landlord is out of pocket while that is going on .

Theses tenants should be blacklisted & given no more housing until all arrears on their PPS numbers are cleared.

Advertisement