Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental income

Options
  • 16-02-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    My wife owns an apartment which is pretty much paid off 20k left and we are moving into a new house soon so will rent the apartment out. She does not work but I do. what way will the rental income work in that situation? we are hoping to get about 600euro a month for the property.
    We will be going to an accountant but would like to have an Idea before speaking to one.
    Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Hi All,
    My wife owns an apartment which is pretty much paid off 20k left and we are moving into a new house soon so will rent the apartment out. She does not work but I do. what way will the rental income work in that situation? we are hoping to get about 600euro a month for the property.
    We will be going to an accountant but would like to have an Idea before speaking to one.
    Thanks for the help

As there is virtually no mortgage interest to speak of, she will pay full whack income tax on the rent, less expenses (repairs, agent fees, accountant fees, management fee, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Does that mean like paye 20% then USC then PRSI etc?
    Does the tax credits come into effect also?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Does that mean like paye 20% then USC then PRSI etc?
    Does the tax credits come into effect also?
    Thanks again

When you file your income tax return, all your sources of income are taken into account to work out your liability. So if you are joint assessed and you are using up your tax credits + your wifes transferable credits and cut off on other income (salary, pension etc) you will not be able to use any to reduce the tax due. Also depending on if your wife has any other incomes, the tax due on the rental income might be due at 41% + PRSI + USC. The link below will be of use to you.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html

Edit: post altered as missed OPs point about wife not working.

Advertisement