Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my line enabled for Annex-M ?

Options
  • 16-02-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm trying to figure out what is the best ADSL2 modem. I'm currently on a Netopia 2247-02 and the speed/reliablity is awful. It seems slightly better then a Linksys WAG354G, but it drops intermittently on that too (although not as bad). I'm supposed to be on a 3 or 4MB package.

screenshotglp.jpg

Now my first question is am I going to get any better than, this by changing my modem?

Also I have no idea if my exchange has been upgraded to take advantage of the Annex-M standard? Is there anyway I can check that?

My next question is, what is the best Annex-M router to take advantage of the better speeds? In my job as an engineer I use a Cisco 887VA-M-K9 and it has doubled the speeds on lines that are enabled for Annex M. Unfortunately I cant fork out for one of them for myself.

What do people recommend?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Heres the stats:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1536 384
    SN Margin (dB) 25.00 23.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 43.00 26.00
    CRC Errors 7224 465

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Your max allowed speed is very low and theres some CRC errors. Have you contacted your provider to see if line is testing ok, or is there a problem with extensions. I'd disconnect all if any and connect the modem to the entry point of your provider and see if your attainables improve. As for Annex M, if your on a 3 Meg package, chance is you wouldn't be able to avail of the higher speeds of Annex m especially given your current attainables.

Just check the Eircom documentation. I'm on Eircom NGB Basic upto 8MB!!!

Now the fact that its NGB, does that that translate into Annex-M enabled?

What I'm after is reliable connection - must change the filters actually.

^whitey^ wrote: »
    Just check the Eircom documentation. I'm on Eircom NGB Basic upto 8MB!!!

Now the fact that its NGB, does that that translate into Annex-M enabled?

What I'm after is reliable connection - must change the filters actually.

Your modulation is DMT which is standard ADSL (G.992.1 Annex A). So you're not on ADSL2+.

Karsini wrote: »
    Your modulation is DMT which is standard ADSL (G.992.1 Annex A). So you're not on ADSL2+.

Yup - but surely that's a limitation of the router an not the line?

I'm looking to take advantage of Annex-M for its reliability and better speed (upto 8 Mb on my package) IF its available. Does NGB (Next Generation Broadband) mean its available ?

• Advertisement

Yup - but surely that's a limitation of the router an not the line?

I'm looking to take advantage of Annex-M for its reliability and better speed (upto 8 Mb on my package) IF its available. Does NGB (Next Generation Broadband) mean its available ?

No, the 2247 supports Annex-M already. To get it, your line has to be terminated into the correct line card at the exchange. Also, not all exchanges are ADSL2+ enabled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Annex M is mainly about higher uplink speeds. AFAIK none of the up to 8mbit products use it and of the higher speed packages I think 12/1 is not Annex M but 12/2 is. These are business products not residential.

Cheers Sponge Bob I was just discovering that on another thread, it seems they were upgraded with version 7.8.0r2 of firmware.

What's all this NGB bollix about so? For some reason I had it in my head that it translated to the exchange being Annex-M upgraded.

Will buying another router make my connection any more stable? A reboot always brings it back upto a healthy 4Mb down see below but it will drop again ...

screenshotfwk.jpg

Stats:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 384
    SN Margin (dB) 12.90 25.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 45.00 26.00
    CRC Errors 385 3

You should have enough margin there to hold 4mbits, with 43db Attenuation you won't get much more. You seem to be around 2 miles from the exchange I'll hazard.

I actually have no idea where the exchange physically is. Any ideas why the shaggin thing keeps dropping to 1.5Mb?

Is buying a new router a waste of time so - considering I've tried a WAG354G and the netopia?

I've recently had an alarm system wired and they use the phone line for sending SMS - they hard wired in before the filter but I had the same issue before then so I cant blame that.

• Advertisement

There are some routers, eg Drayteks, whiich are known to stabilise longer lines with tighter s/n margins but it could be the line or your internal wiring.

Could well be the internal wiring allright, house is 35+ years old. Any recommendations on what Draytek to look at ... or do they all have a reputation for better performance on ****ty lines?

TIA.

Best bet is disconnect all internal wiring from main socket and ensure the main socket is a genuine eircom main socket. Any Draytek 28 series is know for being better than a Netopia if it goes that far. The number list below should tell you what exchange you are on and the following link will show you where it is in case it IS 2 miles away. The Field Boundary_N has the name.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fwww.nextgenerationethernet.com%2Fexchanges.kmz

Thanks again spongebob, so yes as the crow flies i'd be circa 1.5 miles from the nearest exchange. Is this the series of draytek your on about ... http://www.draytek.com/user/PdInfoDetail.php?Id=18.

Pricey feckers but they'd be worth it if they gave me a solid connection or even improved it!

What's this marketing **** about NGB if its not annex-m? My exchange is NGB whatever the hell that actually means?

Marketing. NGB IS SUPPOSED to be 25mbit or higher. Not ' up to ' 8mbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hey,

I'm trying to figure out what is the best ADSL2 modem. I'm currently on a Netopia 2247-02 and the speed/reliablity is awful. It seems slightly better then a Linksys WAG354G, but it drops intermittently on that too (although not as bad). I'm supposed to be on a 3 or 4MB package.

screenshotglp.jpg

Now my first question is am I going to get any better than, this by changing my modem?

Also I have no idea if my exchange has been upgraded to take advantage of the Annex-M standard? Is there anyway I can check that?

My next question is, what is the best Annex-M router to take advantage of the better speeds? In my job as an engineer I use a Cisco 887VA-M-K9 and it has doubled the speeds on lines that are enabled for Annex M. Unfortunately I cant fork out for one of them for myself.

What do people recommend?

Cheers.

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.ie. You mention that your broadband connection may be intermittent. PM with your home phone or eircom Account number and I'll take a look at this and advise further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Sent you a pm Ant.

Advertisement