Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 21 progesterone levels... Any help?

• 16-02-2012 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I'm a newbie here although not a newbie ttc. Almost 3 years now ttc #2. Have pcos. On second cycle of clomid and am confused over day 21 progesterone levels.
    Got my result today 37.7. My GP told me that it's a good result but I'm nearly sure gynaecologist said that she was hoping to see it rise to between 50 and 60!
    Anyone have any experience with progesterone levels, especially on clomid?
    Any help would be appreciated. Have looked up so many websites which leaves me even more confused!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Carley353

It is very confusing try to interpret the Day 3 & 21 results.

For what it's worth, I got pregnant with a progesterone level of 38 although I wasn't on Clomid.
    But everyone online seems to repeat that whole 50-60 figure or higher, so I don't know who started that rumour but it's obviously not true 'cos I remember asking the obstetrician about it and she said that wasn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Audrey94

Well, that's very reassuring to hear. Thank you!
    Before clomid, my day 21 result was 19.1 so at least I'm heading in the right direction. And it's great to know that you don't have to reach 50+ in order to become pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

could i ask a (probably dumb) question please ..do cd21 bloods HAVE to be done on cd21? My cd21 is on a sunday and i'm due to travel on the monday so i'm torn between cancelling travel plans (not a biggie but would prefer if i didn't have to) or getting bloods done on cd23 - would this be ok?

should also add i usually ov on cd15 or cd16 but this month am unsure as i'm not temping and my cbfm is just saying 'high' for the last 2 weeks but i suspect this is becuase last month i didn't use it at all (so it thinks its first month again and only 'getting to know me'). make sense?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

woggie wrote: »
    could i ask a (probably dumb) question please ..do cd21 bloods HAVE to be done on cd21? My cd21 is on a sunday and i'm due to travel on the monday so i'm torn between cancelling travel plans (not a biggie but would prefer if i didn't have to) or getting bloods done on cd23 - would this be ok?

should also add i usually ov on cd15 or cd16 but this month am unsure as i'm not temping and my cbfm is just saying 'high' for the last 2 weeks but i suspect this is becuase last month i didn't use it at all (so it thinks its first month again and only 'getting to know me'). make sense?

I'm pretty sure that you can get them done anytime after ovulation but before period. Doublecheck by ringing your Doc to be certain. Same way the CD3 can be done anytime between days 3-7, but are called CD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Audrey94

As far as I know, day 21 is ideal but 22 and 23 will also give a good indication of progesterone levels. The key thing is not the cd21, however, it's 7 days after ov that they are looking for. If you ov cd15 or 16, you will get most accurate result day 22 or 23. If I were you, I wouldn't change my travel plans. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

ok, that makes sense, thanks audrey94

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Day 21 is chosen by the medical profession because it's 7 days past what they consider 'normal' ovulation (i.e. day 14). It's really 7 days past ovulation that you should be having the test, but of course a lot of women won't know when they are ovulating if they're not charting or using OPKS.

If you don't ovulate until day 16 then you should go for the tests 7 days after that i.e. 15+7= day 23.

Waiting for 7 days after ovulation means that your levels will have had enough time to build up, so if you go earlier than that for the test you may get a result saying that your progesterone is low when it isn't.

I hope that helps.

Advertisement