Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attaching a door bell?

• 16-02-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    haveing abit of a problem here. I wired up the doorbell and chime /transformer ,I added it to the light trip switch.when i have the transformer wired uo all seems ok,but when i connect up the push button and flick the switch it trips the whole system straight away !any ideas?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Have you got the live and nuetral connected to the correct terminals on the transformer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

The transformer doesn't state live or nuetral to any terminal, the diagram does show a broken (dash )line going to one side but i presumed it was like that to show it was going behind something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What trips out when u press it? What's 'the whole system'????

Sounds like you've taken your neutral from the socket neutral bar and the rcd is tripping. If this is the case you need to take it from the correct neutral.

The whole system ,is the "main trip switch" trips . the Neutral wire that goes to transformer was put in the same place as the lights neutral if that makes since !

alright just had a look the and will explain(too dark to go messing with stuff now) the box has a bar running along the top, grounds are wired in the left side right side has all the neutrals in it "the one i wired into is "14" the same as the trip slot i'm wiring the live too. as i said its ok with the transformer jsut connected.its when i add the last bit of the circut to the bell that it trips the whole system.

• Advertisement

Do u mean the rcd trip switch or the main 63a breaker.. Unlikely that to trip and not the light circuit... Sounds like wrong neutral bar... Put it on other neutral bar and see if it solves the problem...

thanks for the help mate will do ,yeah its the rcd trip switch ,too darknow will have a look at it tomorrow.

Yeah swap it over to the other neutral bar and problem shud be sorted 4 ya...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP.

This does not sound like something you should be taking on yourself as you are working on a live board that has points that you can't isolate.

Therefore you have two options in my opinion.
    1) have a qualified person look at it.
    2) install a battery operated bell and use the same wiring to the bell push that you have in place already.

Yeah swap it over to the other neutral bar and problem shud be sorted 4 ya...

100% spot on swaped the Neutral over to the other bar and problme fixed :) thanks

• Advertisement

Glad u got it sorted... Them neutral bars can be confusing to follow when trying to trace a Cable...:

Advertisement