Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The stupidest criminal....stoopid!

• 16-02-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0216/breaking50.html

This story has been all over the news today...............judge describes guy who leaves two accomplices locked at the crime scene and then denies committing the crime as the stupidest criminal before giving him two years off his sentence so he can get the benefit of his stupidity

some questions/ sprang immediately to mind

1) is it just me or is anyone else surprised that this was the stupidest thing a criminal has done in this country in recent memory....surely there has got to be something stupider...looks like he may have lost his bottle or gotten a bit confused to me or just not prepared that well......there must be far greater criminal morons out there.

2) how stupid was it for the judge to give him time off his sentence for being an alleged stupid head....what next time inside linked to IQ......complete suspension of sentence if you are unable to pass basic intelligence tests?....+has the judge not consider that calling a criminal stupid may spur him into action to find a clever way of proving their intelligence to him through some fiendish crime

3) It must be a slow news days if the opinions of mr justice whatever on ranking stupidity of criminal acts deserves almost wall to wall coverage on national newsmedia or is there something I'm missing................this is about as newsworthy as the dead cat on my road right?

thats a lot of stupids...stupid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Judge Donagh McDonagh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

The only thing that strikes me as odd about this is, that a judge would call somebody stupid, rather than refering to the act committed as being stupid.
    I'm sure it's not acceptable for a judge to grade the intelligence of the accused.
    I'd sue the fúcker if he called me stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The judge considered him stupid because he sold 2 people who could identify him down the river. Did he think they wouldn't tell his name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

earpiece wrote: »

now don't go getting carried away you moron!

this court is adjourned

bangs gavel or justice hammer or whatever comes to hand and scratches under wig

amacca wrote: »
    now don't go getting carried away you moron!

this court is adjourned

bangs gavel or justice hammer or whatever comes to hand and scratches under wig

Ahhh, your honour......my names Murphy, not Moron.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

But you're not the stupid robber. The robber is stupid. The judge called him stupid...and the judge has seen all the evidence to prove it.

The stupid robber would be stupid to try and sue the judge and anyone giving advice to the stupid robber to sue the judge would be very stupid indeed.

The judge considered him stupid because he sold 2 people who could identify him down the river. Did he think they wouldn't tell his name?

fair enough...but I've seen/encountered criminals before where the possibility exists of far greater stupidity imo.....most of their names ended in o if that helps:D

+what if he had a panic attack? or just realized the futility of the crime game at that moment of brief personal introspection and didn't want the hassle of explaining it to his irate mates ...... I suppose we could settle this with an IQ test/intelligence assessment under controlled conditions:pac:

humberklog wrote: »
    But you're not the stupid robber. The robber is stupid. The judge called him stupid...and the judge has seen all the evidence to prove it.

The stupid robber would be stupid to try and sue the judge and anyone giving advice to the stupid robber to sue the judge would be very stupid indeed.

Ever stop to think that perhaps the robber may have a exceptional tallent in something, just because he displayed poor judgement in his decision to rob and then imprison his friends at the scene, does not give any other right to brand.
    But above said, crime of this nature does display a high degree of stupidity..... but can't help but feel the guy might be great at chess, and the judge may not be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Welcome to a world where people get rewarded for being stupid.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Isn't it most stupid? Not stupidest?

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Welcome to a world where people get rewarded for being stupid.

oh no need to welcome me.......I've been here since birth, attended the orientation session and read the welcome pack for hours until a fellow citizen pointed out it was upside down

and recently I tried speed dating

things are going well so far

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ever stop to think that perhaps the robber may have a exceptional tallent in something

No, I didn't, I'm not that stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This too, was trying to find the one from Americas Dumbest Criminals but will settle for this, the classic brick at the perspex window.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

This too, was trying to find the one from Americas Dumbest Criminals but will settle for this, the classic brick at the perspex window.

:D:D:D LOl LOL

Seriously that can't be for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

hahahahaha omg!! Unbelievable :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I would nominate this unfortunate as taking the biscuit :-

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gangster-who-shot-himself-by-accident-is-critical-1682424.html

From the report :-

"The career criminal shot himself with a glock handgun at close range in a house at St Munchin's Street, St Mary's Park. He had been inspecting the gun and removed the loaded magazine from it while handling it. However, he failed to realise a bullet was still in the chamber before he discharged the weapon while it was pointed at his head."

Honourable mention who at least had a bit of self-awareness

http://insideireland.ie/2012/01/25/bookies-burglar-bet-he-wouldnt-be-found-51489/

A man attempting to rob a bookies hid from Gardaí behind an advertising hoarding, because he didn’t want to be labelled as ‘Ireland’s dumbest criminal’.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court yesterday heard how bungling burglar Ian Howe, 24, was one of three men caught trying to steal a safe, containing almost €6,000, from a bookmakers during Cheltenham festival week.

Mark Wilders and John Regan, both 34, were also involved and pleaded guilty to the burglary of Sundrive Road’s branch of Ladbrokes on St Patricks Day last year.

Regan also pleaded guilty to threatening to kill gardaí during the burglary. Garda Rioghnach O’Sullivan told Elva Duffy BL, prosecuting, how she caught the men in the act and shouted at her to stop.

Regan then held up a long object and pointed it at her, as if it was a shotgun, shouting: ‘Get the f**k out or I’ll f**king shoot you’.

O’Sullivan said the object was revealed to be a sledgehammer but at the time she believed it was a firearm and feared for her life.

After Wilders and Regan emerged with their hands up, the garda discovered Howe hiding behind advertising hoarding at the front of the shop.

He told gardaí he had hidden there ‘so I wouldn’t be put down as Ireland’s dumbest criminal’.

The three men had used sledgehammers to remove the safe from its concrete housing. They also had a trolley at hand which was planned to be used to move the safe to their van.

Judge Martin Nolan sentenced Howe and Wilders to 15 months imprisonment, while Regan was handed a two-and-a-half year sentence as he has also been sentenced for five years for unlawful possession of firearms."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Sorry, I don't know how to embed YouTube videos, but this one (a Swedish TV commercial for a life assurance company) shows how stupid a criminal can really be::):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D--rJ9FrKEo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

No you wouldn't.

Sykk wrote: »
    No you wouldn't.

Your right, I wouldn't, only because I wouldn't find myself in front of a judge based on a stupid act. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

How about the worlds stupidest cops, I am sure there are loads of funny stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So the crime was about 18 months ago, 5 year sentence, make that 2.5, he'll be out in a year.

Crime doesn't pay folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In the mid 80's a guy was up for armed robbery on a service statioin in Tallaght using a fake gun, his getaway car was a Renault 4 L which ran out of petrol down the road. He got two years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Nearly choked on my dinner laughing watching that story on the 6.01 news yesterday. They always leave the great stories till last on the news :D

Advertisement