Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Graded Meets - Change of Venue

Options
  • 16-02-2012 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

Fixture list has been annouced for these:

http://www.dublinathletics.com/attachments/163_Graded%20Book%202012.pdf

No 10k this year in the Dublin Championships though:( Between difficulty in getting a guest spot in Intervarsities and now this becoming very difficult to find a 10,000m on track in this country bar Nationals and the one in Athenry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Can you just turn up at one of these and run/jump multiple events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

menoscemo wrote: »

Yep open to all (AAI members):

There are a number of grades based on your ability and a good range of events usually 1 or 2 middle distance to long distance (3k-5000m) per night

To give you an idea of the level here is an example of 3000m times from one race last year:

Winner of Grade A : 8.17
    Slowest in Grade B: 12.46

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

ecoli wrote: »

No 10k this year in the Dublin Championships though:( Between difficulty in getting a guest spot in Intervarsities and now this becoming very difficult to find a 10,000m on track in this country bar Nationals and the one in Athenry

Come over to Watford, you can sleep on my couch :p

Come over to Watford, you can sleep on my couch :p

When I saw no 10k on the cards this year my first though was BMCs alright.;)

When I saw no 10k on the cards this year my first though was BMCs alright.;)

You can pace me to my target, or maybe i'll be pacing you by then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

These aren't open events. You must be an AAI member.

Yup sorry should have specified this. See menoscemo there were more perks than just using the track for joining Tallaght :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

This really is a great series of meets.
    I knew they existed but did not realise there were so many dates and so many events.
    Definitely worth a trip up from the country for a few.

How does the grading system work?
    For something like 800m or 1500m, what would be the A,B,C,D grades?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What are the standards for each grade? I'd like to do the 800m/1500m/mile/3k but don't want to be last with only two races for the wimmins I'd fear that that may well happen. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What are the standards for each grade? I'd like to do the 800m/1500m/mile/3k but don't want to be last with only two races for the wimmins I'd fear that that may well happen. :pac:

Results for last year are all online. eg, at meet 2, in the women's 1500 B race, the winner ran 4.37 and the last three times were 5.22, 5.34, 5.50.
    In meet 6, there was only one 1500 race, winner was 4.44 and last 3 were 5.13, 5.15, 5.18. Only four 3k runners - 10.25, 10.32, 11.02, 11.47.

• Advertisement

When i did it in 2007 i ran for Trinity College. They werent looking for proof or anything. I just filled out a form upstairs in the stand in Santry. Nothing to stop you picking a random club and saying you run for them, should be fine unless they've changed their policy.

*prepares for PC police to bite my head off* :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Anything like this in the munster area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

When i did it in 2007 i ran for Trinity College. They werent looking for proof or anything. I just filled out a form upstairs in the stand in Santry. Nothing to stop you picking a random club and saying you run for them, should be fine unless they've changed their policy.

*prepares for PC police to bite my head off* :p

Nothing apart from putting Morton Stadium/Dublin County Board/Anybody else involved at risk financially from a claim if you get whacked by a hammer/discus/javelin while competing. AAI membership would provide the insurance cover. Unregistered entrants would not be covered by this insurance and so would seek redress directly from the organisers.

If you're interested in the sport join a club. There are plenty to choose from. And not that expensive either. My own club only charge €40.00 per annum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I'm home from Australia for a few weeks in July/August and the August 1st meet is on while I'm home so I'd like to do it for the laugh (will be in pre-season and on holiday at the time so cant imagine I'll be in sub 60 shape then). However there's no way I am joining a club for the privilege of competing in one track meet. Is there any way around this for me?

04072511 wrote: »
    I'm home from Australia for a few weeks in July/August and the August 1st meet is on while I'm home so I'd like to do it for the laugh (will be in pre-season and on holiday at the time so cant imagine I'll be in sub 60 shape then). However there's no way I am joining a club for the privilege of competing in one track meet. Is there any way around this for me?

The events are confined to AAI Registered members. I can't (don't) speak for the Dublin County Board.

There are other open (to all) track & field competitions. Just in Meath there are Cushenstown - end of April, and Navan – early September

I’m sure there are others out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Are the Dublin meets open to AAI members of non-Dublin clubs?

Meathcountysec have you a link to the list of event for Cushenstown?

happygoose wrote: »
    Are the Dublin meets open to AAI members of non-Dublin clubs?

Meathcountysec have you a link to the list of event for Cushenstown?

Meath athletes regularly troop en masse across the border to take part, so yes.

Attached copy of 2011 program for Cushinstown sports. Shouldn't be much different for this year. I believe its on the 22nd of April this year.

I was looking forward to the meets tomorrow evening, But it looks like we are in for some rough weather over the next 36 hours.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/

How likely are the meets to go ahead if the weather is as bad as predicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

track fairies :rolleyes:

:p

RayCun wrote: »
    track fairies :rolleyes:

:p

I'd run anyways (especially if that wind is behind me for the 100m ;)) But I assume the amount of rainfall predicted for tomorrow might cause some issues for the track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If its windy I'm defo bailing out anyways, the graded are all about times! I'll make the call tomorrow afternoon, but its not looking promising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I was looking forward to the meets tomorrow evening, But it looks like we are in for some rough weather over the next 36 hours.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/

How likely are the meets to go ahead if the weather is as bad as predicted?

Make sure you have new and sharp spikes for better grip and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Just a question about these meets if anyone knows. Was thinking of heading up to the meet on the 23rd and one of the guidelines states that each club with athletes competing must provide at least 2 officials at each meet, not sure if I have this right but does that mean if I want to show up and run do two officials from my club (Dunleer AC) need to come along as well? :confused: I could possibly be the only member of the club there as I just want to run for fun, to try some of the track races, but would two other people from the club have to come as well to officiate?? :confused:

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just a question about these meets if anyone knows. Was thinking of heading up to the meet on the 23rd and one of the guidelines states that each club with athletes competing must provide at least 2 officials at each meet, not sure if I have this right but does that mean if I want to show up and run do two officials from my club (Dunleer AC) need to come along as well? :confused: I could possibly be the only member of the club there as I just want to run for fun, to try some of the track races, but would two other people from the club have to come as well to officiate?? :confused:

They try to encourage officials to come but if you can't there no worries they won't stop you running or even say anything to you

They try to encourage officials to come but if you can't there no worries they won't stop you running or even say anything to you

Ah right I see, cheers ecoli. I could just imagine that conversation down the club "I want to run a track race so two of you need to come to Dublin with me!":D. Will try and convince one or two to come more to come with me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ecoli, ya going to be down 2moro for the graded?

Nothing to stop you giving a hand at one of the other events. Might get an insight into the other side off the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

RayCun wrote: »
    Results for last year are all online.
    Can you please point me in the right direction? Just wondering what grades I should be aiming for, for 400m and 800m. Thanks!

Can you please point me in the right direction? Just wondering what grades I should be aiming for, for 400m and 800m. Thanks!

Check out this page here, some results from the 8th meet last year, if you go back further there should be some more. 800m times seem to range from 1.52 to 2.30.

http://www.dublinathletics.com/index.php?limitstart=25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'd say "C" maybe "B" if your want to give it a really lash, i'd say you'd win a D race, be top few in a C and at the back in a B. But does depend on who shows up on the night.

Advertisement