Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Graded Meets - Change of Venue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'd say "C" maybe "B" if your want to give it a really lash, i'd say you'd win a D race, be top few in a C and at the back in a B. But does depend on who shows up on the night.

I'm starting to wish there was an E grade, just looking at some of the 3000m results, the slowest time seems to be around 10.30! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'd say "C" maybe "B" if your want to give it a really lash, i'd say you'd win a D race, be top few in a C and at the back in a B. But does depend on who shows up on the night.

I had a look at a random meet with a 400m last year and I'd recommend Grade D for that event anyway. All bar one in Grade D went sub 60, but there were a few at 58/59. Grade C's last place finisher was in 56. It's a high quality meet so there's nothing wrong with going in the lowest grade, you'll still have very stiff competition.

Of course all meets could be different depending on the standard of who shows up. Just give them your expected time and they'll put you in the appropriate race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

04072511 wrote: »
    I had a look at a random meet with a 400m last year and I'd recommend Grade D for that event anyway. All bar one in Grade D went sub 60, but there were a few at 58/59. Grade C's last place finisher was in 56. It's a high quality meet so there's nothing wrong with going in the lowest grade, you'll still have very stiff competition.

Of course all meets could be different depending on the standard of who shows up. Just give them your expected time and they'll put you in the appropriate race.
    Yep, I was thinking more 800m, grade say would be fast enough to push him but not to fast that he's be dropped. Better to be the tail-end of a fast 800m then winning a slow one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm starting to wish there was an E grade, just looking at some of the 3000m results, the slowest time seems to be around 10.30! :eek:
    You will have slower some night, go out an just run your own race :). If all goes well i'll be coming last in one of these later in the summer myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Can you please point me in the right direction? Just wondering what grades I should be aiming for, for 400m and 800m. Thanks!

It's very simple. to find the results from 2011, you click on the Results link on the left of this page, and then click 2010 results :rolleyes:
    Enter 'Graded' in the title filter to get just the results of the graded meets.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    It's very simple. to find the results from 2011, you click on the Results link on the left of this page, and then click 2010 results :rolleyes:
    Enter 'Graded' in the title filter to get just the results of the graded meets.

Who designed that site?

You have to remember, a commercial organisation (or race) will hire a professional web designer to create and maintain their website. An organisation like the Dublin Athletics Board might be able to pay someone to create their site, but they're unlikely to be able to afford someone to maintain it. So the site is maintained by someone who knows how to add a news story, a fixture, or a set of results to a particular part of the site , but doesn't know how to add new areas or retitle existing ones - which is why new results keep getting added to the '2010 results' section. That was the newest one when the site was created.

(this is an educated guess, btw, I don't have anything to do with the DAB)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm I had a big rant today about the Athletics Ireland website on another thread, but the Dublin athletics website is in a totally different league of rubbishness! Pay for a proper website developer and they will have it sorted out in 2/3hours!

RayCun wrote: »
    You have to remember, a commercial organisation (or race) will hire a professional web designer to create and maintain their website. An organisation like the Dublin Athletics Board might be able to pay someone to create their site, but they're unlikely to be able to afford someone to maintain it. So the site is maintained by someone who knows how to add a news story, a fixture, or a set of results to a particular part of the site , but doesn't know how to add new areas or retitle existing ones - which is why new results keep getting added to the '2010 results' section. That was the newest one when the site was created.

(this is an educated guess, btw, I don't have anything to do with the DAB)

Yeh fair enough I suppose. Maybe be time for them to do a quick freshen up on the site. Some IT head would have that thing sorted in an hour. :) I'm sure Robinph would gladly oblige :D

Again, I'm just speaking from general experience, the problem is not getting the 2/3 hours of a web designer to work on it, it's that general updates are going to be in the hands of someone who probably knows nothing about web publishing and doesn't really have time to learn. So the web designer has to make something that is very simple to maintain and update, just editing text and dragging documents to folders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I gave up on trying to navagate the website. I just google "Dublin graded meets results 2012" or somthing of that order and find it them that way.

On another topic, a guy from my club got disqualified from the 200 last night for a false start. Now I know that these are the rules but I thought it was a bit harsh seen as we're talking about a dublin graded meet (think he was grade B). What do others think? Should the rules be adhered to strictly by the letter of the law or should there be some leeway seen as these meets are put on to give athletes races and encourage T&F involvement. I was nervous as hell that I'd false start in the 1500 after that...now that would have been embarrassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dunebasher

Definitely should be some allowance made. Athletes pay their money and some travel long distances for this event. This competition is mainly about getting times rather than racing each other. I'm sure other competitirs would not object to a restart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Festinatio Cursor

Dunebasher wrote: »
    Definitely should be some allowance made. Athletes pay their money and some travel long distances for this event. This competition is mainly about getting times rather than racing each other. I'm sure other competitirs would not object to a restart./QUOTE]

Knowing that you didnt have to abide by championship rules and have a 2nd chance if you false start means you can try anticipate the gun bit better which would give you an unfair advantage in alot of cases.

You wouldnt allow a hurdler to run around a hurdle in these events even if they were a beginner so why make allowances for a flat runner

Starts are a key part of sprint training while it is a harsh lesson it is a lesson none the less

Anyone doing the graded meet at Irishtown next Wednesday August 1st? 200m, 800m, 3000m, Discus, Triple Jump and Javelin all on the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Anyone doing the graded meet at Irishtown next Wednesday August 1st? 200m, 800m, 3000m, Discus, Triple Jump and Javelin all on the programme.
    Yep. Hoping to make the 800m. Are you planning on competing? Which events?

Yep. Hoping to make the 800m. Are you planning on competing? Which events?

Yeh will be focusing on the 200m. I may have a crack at the 800m after though, as it takes place after the 200m so wont interfere with that event.

No other events though. Field events will be kept to a minimum this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Pisco Sour wrote: »

Tempted to hit up the 3000m myself as my track season didnt really go to plan may try get one last race in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

800 all the way for me! Would love to get in a 3k on the track, but they are always on only 10mins after the 8, and the plan is that I wont be able to walk after the 800 so may scrap doubling up ha!

Also, just a word of warning, the order of racing at the last graded was changed, the timetable had the junior mile down just before the 800s, it got moved back to after the 800s, and no proper announcement was made about this :(, I know one lad who missed his 800 race because of it!!! So make sure you keep up to date with the race order!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Planning to do the 800 also. Hoping for good conditions and a PB.

Are the results usually up the same evening the meet is on? Dying to see my result but no sign of it yet.

EDIT: Results are up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

2013 Dublin graded booklet has been available on the Dublin athletics website for a while. Two of the dates have some track and all field events listed as championship events. Does anyone know if these events restricted to members of Dublin clubs or can non Dublin members compete but championship medals awarded to first 3 Dublin club members?

1st Graded to be held on the Tallaght track and not Irish town as originally intended
    Dublin County Athletic Board

Track and Field Programme 2013

Meeting No. 1 May 1st Tallaght Athletic Club Greenhills Road

Time Event Grade
    Track

18.45 1500M Women AB
    18.55 1500M Men ABC

19.00 100m Women B
    19.05 100m Women A

19.10 100m Men C
    19.15 100m Men B
    19.20 100m Men A

19.30 800m Women B
    19.40 800m Women A

19.45 800m Men D
    19.50 800m Men C
    20.00 800m Men B
    20.10 800m Men A

20.20 3000m Women A+B

20.40 3000m Men B+C
    21.00 3000m Men A

Field

19.30 Shot Putt Women
    Shot Putt Men

19.30 Discus Women
    Discus Men

20.00 Javelin Women
    Javelin Men

19.30 Triple Jump Women
    Triple Jump Men

http://www.dublinathletics.com/index.php?limitstart=0

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ecoli wrote: »
    1st Graded to be held on the Tallaght track and not Irish town as originally intended

http://www.dublinathletics.com/index.php?limitstart=0
    Damn... That'd be great, but a bit soon for me. Would love to have a pop at the 3k or the 800m. Will see how the recovery goes..

Damn... That'd be great, but a bit soon for me. Would love to have a pop at the 3k or the 800m. Will see how the recovery goes..

Down to run the 800m myself but so much choice. Part of me wants to play it safe with the longer distances but I feel an under distance race would be good long term for the season. Decisions decisions.

What I will say is with 800s/1500s/3000m the fields will be very diluted so a perfect opportunity for people to be introduced to track as the quicker runners will be spread across all three distances

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

ecoli wrote: »
    Down to run the 800m myself but so much choice. Part of me wants to play it safe with the longer distances but I feel an under distance race would be good long term for the season. Decisions decisions.

What I will say is with 800s/1500s/3000m the fields will be very diluted so a perfect opportunity for people to be introduced to track as the quicker runners will be spread across all three distances

For some reason, I thought there was only a choice between 3k and 800 and I had made up my mind to do the 3k since I've no specific 800m training done at all. But the 1500 is tempting now...hmmm

Cleanman wrote: »
    For some reason, I thought there was only a choice between 3k and 800 and I had made up my mind to do the 3k since I've no specific 800m training done at all. But the 1500 is tempting now...hmmm

So did I. Probably a late addition much like the change of venue.

Still I am happy out first time to be able to officially race on the club track

The one on the 15th is the first one for me, going to run the 1500m. Hope it is on the northside though to save me a bit of travelling!

Damn just realised one of my planned races on the 26th of June is actually part of the Dublin champs, that's obviously excluded to Dublin athletes?

Damn just realised one of my planned races on the 26th of June is actually part of the Dublin champs, that's obviously excluded to Dublin athletes?

No non Dublin athletes can compete AFAIK. Sure results from last year have athletes from all over the country

• Advertisement

The one on the 15th is the first one for me, going to run the 1500m. Hope it is on the northside though to save me a bit of travelling!

Think its Santry alright usually rotate and I don't think Irish town is being used this year

Advertisement