Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Graded Meets - Change of Venue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1st of may!, next wed? Cant be that soon!! Ecoli I'll be joining you in the 800 so, as not a hope in hell I will have the fitness for anything more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Timmaay wrote: »
    1st of may!, next wed? Cant be that soon!! Ecoli I'll be joining you in the 800 so, as not a hope in hell I will have the fitness for anything more.

Indeed get time to get the thumb out track season is here. Sure first round of the National Leagues is the end of May.

Grade B yeah? Could do with someone to try drag me around :D

Hmmm grade B usually won in 2mins flat? My 1st 800 last year I was well disappointed with 2.06, I'd be delighted with that this year given the form I'm in. So my splits will probably be 58/68 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Here's a quick summary of track-specific events (sorry field folks!) based on the information available at the moment:

Meet 1: 1st May - Tallaght - 100m/800m/1500m/3000m
    Meet 2: 15th May - Morton - 200m/1500m/10,000m (Dub Chamionship)
    Meet 3: 29th May - Irishtown (may change)- 400m/mile/3000m
    Meet 4: 12th June - Morton (Dublin Champs)- 100m/400m/800m
    Meet 5: 26th June - Irishtown (may change) - 200m/1500/3000m
    Meet 6: 10th July - 400m/3000m/5000m/800m
    Meet 7: 24th July - Irishtown (may change) - 100m/1500m/Masters Mile
    Meet 8: 7th August - Morton - 200m/800m/3000m

Dates/Times/events are likely to change, so please refer to the Dublin Athletics site for latest correct information.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Here's a quick summary of track-specific events (sorry field folks!) based on the information available at the moment:

Meet 1: 1st May - Tallaght - 100m/800m/1500m/3000m
    Meet 2: 15th May - Morton - 200m/1500m
    Meet 3: 29th May - Irishtown (may change)- 400m/mile/3000m
    Meet 4: 12th June - Morton (Dublin Champs)- 100m/400m/800m
    Meet 5: 26th June - Irishtown (may change) - 200m/1500/3000m
    Meet 6: 10th July - 400m/3000m/5000m/800m
    Meet 7: 24th July - Irishtown (may change) - 100m/1500m/Masters Mile
    Meet 8: 7th August - Morton - 200m/800m/3000m

Dates/Times/events are likely to change, so please refer to the Dublin Athletics site for latest correct information.

Boards aul lad smackdown :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Boards aul lad smackdown :p

I'm in (probably).

dna_leri wrote: »
    I'm in (probably).
    In that case, I'm out (of the country). Would've been great!

Very good meeting tonight, perfect weather and lovely track to race on! I doubled up and ran in both the 1500 and 800, 2 solid times to kickstart my track season. Roll on the next graded in 2wks time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I threw myself in the ring for the ladies 800m last night.... jeepers it is a completely different ball game to my usual antics!! It was pretty scary showing up and facing real club short/middle distance runners but it's open to all and i had nothing to lose. I didn't have a clue about lanes/crossing etc so i played it safe and made sure to know my place. I ran 2:45 and although the throat was burning at the end, everything else felt good. A couple of seconds slower and i could have run 26miles worth of laps ;) Big focus on speed and trying to get these legs turning over faster for a couple of months! I didn't come last but don't think I'd have cared if i did. Great for something different and a bit of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

claralara wrote: »
    I threw myself in the ring for the ladies 800m last night.... jeepers it is a completely different ball game to my usual antics!! It was pretty scary showing up and facing real club short/middle distance runners but it's open to all and i had nothing to lose. I didn't have a clue about lanes/crossing etc so i played it safe and made sure to know my place. I ran 2:45 and although the throat was burning at the end, everything else felt good. A couple of seconds slower and i could have run 26miles worth of laps ;) Big focus on speed and trying to get these legs turning over faster for a couple of months! I didn't come last but don't think I'd have cared if i did. Great for something different and a bit of experience.

Kicking someone in the ankle on the start line so they'll finish last instead of you doesn't count :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

RayCun wrote: »
    You have to remember, a commercial organisation (or race) will hire a professional web designer to create and maintain their website. An organisation like the Dublin Athletics Board might be able to pay someone to create their site, but they're unlikely to be able to afford someone to maintain it. So the site is maintained by someone who knows how to add a news story, a fixture, or a set of results to a particular part of the site , but doesn't know how to add new areas or retitle existing ones - which is why new results keep getting added to the '2010 results' section. That was the newest one when the site was created.

(this is an educated guess, btw, I don't have anything to do with the DAB)
    Hi folks,

Only seeing this now. I actually created the DAB website, but the issue with regards to useability is due to the content updaters not properly categorising content (i.e: the results) which I agree makes the site very unusable. The reason 2012 results also contains the previous years results is due to the content updaters not creating a new category for the new year, instead just renaming the old one.
    I have spoken to Adam and I have suggested to him that we must do a bit of work on the site from a usability point of view, as it took me a good while just to find the fixtures booklet the other day. This is not acceptable, I agree. In the interim I have made a new menu link for the fixtures booklet under the Fixtures menu item, but I will hopefully get around to re-doing the categorizing and getting the site more user friendly (it's hard for people to grasp why you shouldn't cut 'n paste from word into the editor as formatting get's messed up, or results/fixtures should be properly categorized).
    If anyone has any other feedback about the site let me know and I'll see what I can do, online registration via Paypal should be launching shortly

Cheers

Nick

Right, have made some changes the Dublin Board website this evening which should make navigation much easier hopefully :) .
    • Under Results/Fixtures menu links for two years, 2012/2013 are present. I will ensure this is changed in the future, so 2014/2013 will be menu links and 2012 will drop into the archive category.
    • In both Results/Fixtures a category breakdown is available in the right side bar. This should make finding older results easier.
    • Many links are now present linking to the Graded Fixtures book download under the Fixtures category. I have inquired about making this booklet online friendly in future, so you won't need to download it.

I hope to assist the updaters from now on so hopefully the site will be made more user friendly from now. I think including dates in all future content titles would also be a help which I'll suggest.
    If you folk have any suggestions/feedback let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Anyone running at the meet on Wednesday? 200m/1500m and the Dublin 10,000 metre champs. I'm doing the 1500m myself, judging by the past results I'll be in the dunce (D) grade!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Can anyone confirm if all remaining graded track meets have been moved to Tallaght ?

epo addict wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if all remaining graded track meets have been moved to Tallaght ?

From what I gather all meetings scheduled for Irishtown Stadium will now take place in Tallaght AC stadium

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Right, have made some changes the Dublin Board website this evening which should make navigation much easier hopefully :)
    Hi Yoyo, great improvement in the site. Much easier to find the schedules and results, and the online registration is a great idea. Just one question in relation to the online registration: does what you select during checkout determine what you are registered to run on the day? Because 'grade' and 'event' are separate fields, it would mean for example, that I couldn't chop and change the grade, for different events (e.g. select Grade D for 400m, and Grade C for 3000m). Might be an idea to tweak the registration, so that you select each event and associate a grade with that event. Keep up the good work!

Hi Yoyo, great improvement in the site. Much easier to find the schedules and results, and the online registration is a great idea. Just one question in relation to the online registration: does what you select during checkout determine what you are registered to run on the day? Because 'grade' and 'event' are separate fields, it would mean for example, that I couldn't chop and change the grade, for different events (e.g. select Grade D for 400m, and Grade C for 3000m). Might be an idea to tweak the registration, so that you select each event and associate a grade with that event. Keep up the good work!

Hi KC,

Glad to hear the sites usability is improved :) . I'll be honest I havn't an iota about the graded meetings or how athletes participate, so I'm delighted to hear your suggestions. I wasn't aware that multiple grades could be chosen, so I will definitely bring this up with the Dublin Board webmaster. Implementation of a multi-select grade option is feasible.
    Also do not worry if you need to make changes on the night, this should not be an issue. Just inform the people manning the online reg. table if you need to change any choices, within reason there shouldn't be any issues :) .
    Another issue I am also aware of is the fact that the €8 charge should cover both track & field events, should you choose to partake in events in both. This should be changed shortly by way of a single entry option.
    I might also add a optional "Additional Comments" field to the event reg. form, where you can provide extra info which the event organizers will be able to view.
    Just another fyi: Online event registrations will close at 1pm on the day of the event, however registration will still be possible on the night as usual.

Cheers

Nick

Hi yoyo, I know I have been critical of the Dublin Athletics website in the past, but its great now that it is getting sorted, keep up the good work! I have a small suggestion for the results, You's should host any of the excel results files as google spreadsheet, and just paste in the link to that page on your website, instead of having to upload the excel files, which then in turn each person who wants to view the results needs to download them etc. This is the way I do the results for the Wicklow F4L league: http://www.slicualann.com/2013-results.html

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hi yoyo, I know I have been critical of the Dublin Athletics website in the past, but its great now that it is getting sorted, keep up the good work! I have a small suggestion for the results, You's should host any of the excel results files as google spreadsheet, and just paste in the link to that page on your website, instead of having to upload the excel files, which then in turn each person who wants to view the results needs to download them etc. This is the way I do the results for the Wicklow F4L league: http://www.slicualann.com/2013-results.html

Hi Timmaay,

While this is a great idea I doubt the person who updates the site would be up for doing it. They are used to Excel so that's how it is done, you know the way :) . I know Google Docs is the same pretty much, but you know how people react to change...
    Basically the results are exported to a CSV file after the event and have to be manually fed into Excel (I am told there is a fair bit of work getting to this point due to lots of unrelated data need axing) and then they are uploaded online.
    I do agree having to download an xls file each time is a bit of a pita, particularly for mobile users.. And I will suggest exporting to pdf (which I have done before) which should make the content easier to access.

Cheers

Nick

• Advertisement

Anyone headed out to the graded meets/Dublin Championships in Morton Stadium this evening? Toying with the idea of doing the Grade D 800m and wouldn't mind watching some of the other events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Grade D, really?

****, this will be my first ever track race and I had signed up to Grade C thinking I might not finish last in that.

Coming off 3 months of injury and, other than xc, having never run anything shorter than 5 miles, I think I might have been overreaching - I should try and switch to D tonight.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Grade D, really?

****, this will be my first ever track race and I had signed up to Grade C thinking I might not finish last in that.

Coming off 3 months of injury and, other than xc, having never run anything shorter than 5 miles, I think I might have been overreaching - I should try and switch to D tonight.
    What do you think you're capable of? I've never done track racing/training and ran an unimpressive 2:19 for 800m last year, so would firmly be in the 'D' space. Grade D seems to be around 2:12 - 2:33 (looking at one set of results from last year). Grade C is around 2:02 - 2:14.

What do you think you're capable of? I've never done track racing/training and ran an unimpressive 2:19 for 800m last year, so would firmly be in the 'D' space. Grade D seems to be around 2:12 - 2:23 (looking at one set of results from last year). Grade C is around 2:02 - 2:14.

I was thinking I might have a shot at 2:15 but I'm probably just being overly ambitious.

Grade D is a much better idea - hopefully, I'll be able switch Grades on the night (I registered online).

I was thinking I might have a shot at 2:15 but I'm probably just being overly ambitious.

Grade D is a much better idea - hopefully, I'll be able switch Grades on the night (I registered online).
    I don't think it's a problem to switch on the night, as you still have to sign the sheet for the appropriate race, so just sign-up for the grade D.

With a target of 2:15, you'd be close to the front of grade D, and close to the back of grade C, but wouldn't be out of place in either race, so don't fret it. I'm 50/50 on whether I'll make it or not (need to sort out a lift, or find somewhere to stash my bike gear), but look out for the Sli Cualann singlet in the 800m and come say hello. It might be me!

This should not be an issue, for change of event/grades etc. just let the person manning the online reg. desk know what you want changed :)

Nick

Balls, Somehow thought it was in Tallaght tonight, was toying with the idea of doing the 100m and 400 for a change! But would have been struggling for time anyways, so defo wont make it up to Santry! Annoying as the weather is looking great and all!

How did you get on Sacksian? Pretty miserable conditions out there.

I didn't get to race unfortunately. I got a lift out to Morton and signed up for Grade D, but with the delay of 40-50 minutes, I had to leave at around 8:40 when my lift arrived (just as the two women's 800m races were about to start). Still, got to enjoy spectating some good races, so I got some value for my registration fee.

How did you get on Sacksian? Pretty miserable conditions out there.

I didn't get to race unfortunately. I got a lift out to Morton and signed up for Grade D, but with the delay of 40-50 minutes, I had to leave at around 8:40 when my lift arrived (just as the two women's 800m races were about to start). Still, got to enjoy spectating some good races, so I got some value for my registration fee.

That's really sh1t about not being able to run - especially after making the trip out and given how bad the weather was.

I don't know yet how I got on! I was up there just after 7 - caught the end of the 3000, so was hanging around for almost two hours before it got to the Men's 800s.

Switched to Grade D on the night, but they combined one of the Grade Cs and Grade D so switching was a bit pointless...ended up sharing a lane at the start with the eventual winner (think he won in around 2:08/09). He flew off and I just motored around at a pace I felt I wouldn't blow up at, or worry my hamstring, but ended up passing people on lap 2 to finish 2nd although I think I was a bit behind the guy in front - will know by how much when the results go up. Can't remember but I guess it could be 6-7 seconds.

Anyway, loved my first experience of track running and would love to try another few - shame the graded meets are the only opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Anyway, loved my first experience of track running and would love to try another few - shame the graded meets are the only opportunity.

BHAA have a mile race in August in Irishtown
    http://bhaa.ie/events/bhaa-mile-2013/

Advertisement