Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Location Premises to be Registered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I kinda agree with it, it could possibly put a halt to the more shifty/shady people who buy and sell horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm in two minds about it. Firstly, it sort of leaves the equine community vulnerable to the hands of a government who are imposing taxes left, right and centre. If the premises are registered, then it could leave horse owners at the mercy of senseless people trying to squeeze every last drop of money out of the people.
    On the other hand, I agree with Jenny in that it could fish out all the untrustworthy and inappropriate owners and sellers if the registration was used by the likes of the ISPCA to perform quality checks on the owners. It would also make it less appealing for the dodgy sellers to have their horses so well tracked. However in saying that, it's also makes it more hassle for someone trying to sell their own, honest horse and there's potential that the horse market may suffer a bit more because of this.
    Horses aren't a farmed animal in Ireland yet we're subjected to these changes because we're in the EU and there are countries that farm horses. Is it right that we all should abide by the same laws, despite having different systems? I'm not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Will have to find out how the regulation is going to work but wonder if;
    • this means that all sales are formally recorded - are there tax implications?
    • how does it work for someone who does not own land or stables but rents grass and not necessarily the same grass each year?
    • will horses have to have tags :eek: or will microchips be enough?

I'm all for anything that will improve the quality of life of horses but don't see how this will help neglected horses all that much - unless they will carry out inspections.

@sup_dude - even though horses are not farmed here, they are classed as a food animal (open to correction but remember looking at CSO data on this when the regulations on bute changed and think it was the case then).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Let's hope the process isn't enforced by the person who wrote the document - it's full of grammatical errors which makes a lot of the text nonsensical! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

As everyone knows, people with horses have loads of money, they can afford another tax...Oh hang on, I don't have a new car(it's twelve years old), I don't smoke, I don't go on foriegn holidays unless I'm forced to cos I'd rather spend what little money I have on riding my horse.:D

On the plus side, it's going to be run by the same people who make sure everyone who drives a car on their own has a full license, no one uses their mobile phone whilst in said cars, the house tax is paid, catch developers who moved all their assets into the names of their families so they don't have to sell them to pay the debts they built up before going bankrupt...etc etc etc.. and don't get me started on how many horses are sold and bought without passports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I'm happy to register my ponies but they can go jump if they want paying for the privilege !!!
    Also on reading that site I'm apparently supposed to have my hens registered too... ... I dunno... I'll put it on the (growing) to-do-when-I-get-round-to-it pile...

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

I'm happy to register my ponies but they can go jump if they want paying for the privilege !!!
    Also on reading that site I'm apparently supposed to have my hens registered too... ... I dunno... I'll put it on the (growing) to-do-when-I-get-round-to-it pile...

It is our Premises this registration refers to..... we already ae legally required to have our ponies regitered.......

This will be enforced maybe first with a carrot but then wth a whip............The following is the bit i'm worried about.. " It is expressly agreed and understood that the carring out of any tests or inspections by officers authorised under the Disease of Animals Act is without liability of any kind on the part of the authorised officer or the minister for agriculture "... We have to sign that we agree to this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I imagine it is simply to do with animal disease and ensuring the security of our food chain. If, for example a disease like foot and mouth broke out (only carried by equids) they want to know where the equids are located.

Food is Big Business here and the Dept of Ag are very strict on maintaining food safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

This is one such a disease which has been moving steadily northwards and with mild winters such as this... its only a matter of time before it arrives.

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/archives/2007/09/166.shtml

Advertisement