Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fast can a cd player flatten a car battery?

Options
  • 16-02-2012 10:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

How fast (how many minutes would it take) could a CD player in a car flatten a car battery to the point that the car would not turn over at all???

Not a single turn of the car/engine.

That sort of flat.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

do you want a loan of a set of jump leads paddy?:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

meercat wrote: »
    do you want a loan of a set of jump leads paddy?:D

Not my car and for me.:D

A friend of mine had his car die today,after playing the cd player for a while,and the car was/is as dead as a dodo now.

Lights come on,but not a single crank/turn of the engine on the key.He tried to jump the car off a turbo diesel car,but nothing,battery still dead.

So Im wondering how fast a cd player could/would drain a car battery??

Oh and the car is a small 1 litre Toyota hatchback.

sorry paddy
    i dont really know to be honest
    maybe the battery wasnt holding the charge and was due replacement anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds like the battery was already well down before the cd player was used, if indeed the battery is the problem.

When jump starting, the all important thing is, good connections on the battery terminals, with a good set of leads.

meercat wrote: »
    sorry paddy
    i dont really know to be honest
    maybe the battery wasnt holding the charge and was due replacement anyway

I feel bad for the chap,but am curious to know how fast it could drain the car battery.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Sounds like the battery was already well down before the cd player was used, if indeed the battery is the problem.

When jump starting, the all important thing is, good connections on the battery terminals, with a good set of leads.

Well he said the jump leads are good,connections were good,and it was a VW Golf TDI that he tried to jump his Toyota off of.

paddy147 wrote: »
    I feel bad for the chap,but am curious to know how fast it could drain the car battery.

New 45 amp hour battery, 3 amps load, in theory is 15 hours. In reality, a car battery shouldnt be depleted by more than 20%, as they are designed for high current, short loads for the starter motor, and to be kept charged up, and not for deep discharging. Deep discharging significantly shortens battery life.

What load a car CD player takes i dont know, never measured one.

But it is very likely the car battery was already well deteriorated.

No Pics?:D

if the ignition was left turned on could this have caused a problem

New 45 amp hour battery, 3 amps load, in theory is 15 hours. In reality, a car battery shouldnt be depleted by more than 20%, as they are designed for high current, short loads for the starter motor, and to be kept charged up, and not for deep discharging. Deep discharging significantly shortens battery life.

What load a car CD player takes i dont know, never measured one.

But it is very likely the car battery was already well deteriorated.

No Pics?:D

I know I know.:D

Not my car and the car in question,is about 50 miles down the sticks anyway.

Nice bus ride home so for my mate.

paddy147 wrote: »
    I know I know.:D

Not my car and the car in question,is about 50 miles down the sticks anyway.

Nice bus ride home so for my mate.

If its only the battery, it should not be too hard to get it going, Jump leads will work if used properly. I often see people putting them on, and nothing happens, simply because they are barely connected, or are rubbish leads.

And there is always the push option.

Check leads are not loose onto battery too.

Could be unlucky, and starter has gone. Seems likely the battery though.

• Advertisement

If its only the battery, it should not be too hard to get it going, Jump leads will work if used properly. I often see people putting them on, and nothing happens, simply because they are barely connected, or are rubbish leads.

And there is always the push option.

Check leads are not loose onto battery too, jump leads wont start it if the terminals are loose onto the cars own battery.

I,ll wait and see what he says tomorrow,and how he gets on.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

Paddy, i used to run a car cd player for about 4hours a night on an old battery.(not in car)
    used to last 2 weeks before charging.
    Toyota's always seem to need the key turned to 1st position to power the music, if i remember correctly.
    if left turned to ignition position, then all bets are off. maybe blown a fuse. hopefully not the coil.

whizbang wrote: »
    Paddy, i used to run a car cd player for about 4hours a night on an old battery.(not in car)
    used to last 2 weeks before charging.
    Toyota's always seem to need the key turned to 1st position to power the music, if i remember correctly.
    if left turned to ignition position, then all bets are off. maybe blown a fuse. hopefully not the coil.

Your old battery wouldnt start a car after the first night or two of cd use though. It will keep powering a cd player long after it passed the ability to turn the starter motor stage.

No fuse on the starter motor power circuit, although there likely is on the ignition switch to the solenoid itself. Engine would still turn over if there was a problem with the coil pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

very true robbie, but there would be some clue in whats happening. ie lights go out, starter solenoid clicks, etc.
    Its amazing how we make assumptions (myself included), without asking the right questions!
    Maybe we should move over to motors, there's a few folks there would know answers to anything you could ask...

whizbang wrote: »
    very true robbie, but there would be some clue in whats happening. ie lights go out, starter solenoid clicks, etc.
    Its amazing how we make assumptions (myself included), without asking the right questions!
    Maybe we should move over to motors, there's a few folks there would know answers to anything you could ask...

Its likely nothing more than a flat battery, and the jumpo leads were not well connected, and/or were poor quality. He has it over in motors as well. Similar answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

I agree Robbie, the one I've seen a lot of people try when jump starting is turning off the engine on the car with the good battery and then turning back on to jump start!! Will never work like that!!

Well its all sorted now.

The car is now fit for scrap,as the engine was/is siezed.

Thats why it wouldnt start up.:eek::D

Advertisement