Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support Acts ?

Options
  • 16-02-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Who Picks The The Support Acts The Band Or The Promoter ?? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Can vary. Normally a band will try have one main support act for a tour. Money can be an issue too, so it may not happen at all gigs on a tour (mainly here as it'll cost a lot to transport a support band over). Bigger gigs it will be the band to chose.

Hopefully the 'Paddy Casey incident' won't need to be explained. Actually, anyone know why The Big Pink didn't support Muse on that tour in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

depends.
    sometimes the band will have support acts touring with them that they've specifically picked.
    other times they'll just tell the promoter wherever they are to get someone, usually a band from that city/country.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Im Worndering About The Red Hot Chili Peppers In Croker

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mushy wrote: »
    Actually, anyone know why The Big Pink didn't support Muse on that tour in 2009?

A friend of mine said the reason was people were booing them or something on the tour so they throw them off . Now cant say its true or false

Thats most likely the promoter needing to shift tickets for that one.

Furious Red, maybe that was it. But was weird hanging round for hours with nothing on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

- Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
    - The Vaccines

http://musicscene.ie/2012/02/red-hot-chili-peppers-announce-the-vaccines-as-second-support-act-for-croke-park-dublin-2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Hopefully the 'Paddy Casey incident' won't need to be explained.

Actually I was just going to ask the OP's question on the Madonna thread!

Can you explain the above please, I can't find any information on google?

I can't be sure what Mushy was referring to when he/she mentioned the 'Paddy Casey Incident', but it immediately brought up a memory of mine:

2006: I finally get the opportunity to see my favourite band in the world live; Pearl Jam. I think it was August 23rd, 2006 to be exact. Me and my friends went into the old Point as excited as a group of 7 year olds on Christmas Eve. We're standing in the crowd as the place fills up and I think to myself 'who in the eff is actually supporting the guys tonight?'. Next thing, Paddy Casey and his band walk on stage:eek::eek:

I thought it was a joke, talk about a mis-match! In fairness to him he took the crowd's surprise and subsequent jeering well. He even joked something like 'I couldn't believe it when Eddie (Vedder; PJ's singer) walked up to my door earlier today and said 'Paddy we'd be just honoured if you opened for us tonight'. And in regards to his hit at the time, 'Saints and Sinners', he told the crowd that if they stayed quiet for this acoustic song he wanted to play he promised he wouldn't play 'Saints and Sinners'. Fair play to him!

In that scenario I imagine that the booking of the support act was a last minute panic, a 'see whoever's about to do the gig' approach. Maybe the original support act (though there was none listed) had to pull out at the last minute. Eitherway, I'm fully sure though that Pearl Jam didn't choose Paddy Casey!

Just to bring this back to the original topic, some bands choose their support. Especially the medium-big acts travelling over from America to Europe. To get a support slot on a European tour with a band who are guaranteed to play to 15,000+ people per night is publicity that money could never buy.

In regards to RHCP and Noel Gallagher, that's definitely a choice by the promoter in order to sell more tickets.

stankratz wrote: »
    I can't be sure what Mushy was referring to when he/she mentioned the 'Paddy Casey Incident', but it immediately brought up a memory of mine:

2006: I finally get the opportunity to see my favourite band in the world live; Pearl Jam. I think it was August 23rd, 2006 to be exact. Me and my friends went into the old Point as excited as a group of 7 year olds on Christmas Eve. We're standing in the crowd as the place fills up and I think to myself 'who in the eff is actually supporting the guys tonight?'. Next thing, Paddy Casey and his band walk on stage:eek::eek:

I thought it was a joke, talk about a mis-match! In fairness to him he took the crowd's surprise and subsequent jeering well. He even joked something like 'I couldn't believe it when Eddie (Vedder; PJ's singer) walked up to my door earlier today and said 'Paddy we'd be just honoured if you opened for us tonight'. And in regards to his hit at the time, 'Saints and Sinners', he told the crowd that if they stayed quiet for this acoustic song he wanted to play he promised he wouldn't play 'Saints and Sinners'. Fair play to him!

In that scenario I imagine that the booking of the support act was a last minute panic, a 'see whoever's about to do the gig' approach. Maybe the original support act (though there was none listed) had to pull out at the last minute. Eitherway, I'm fully sure though that Pearl Jam didn't choose Paddy Casey!

Just to bring this back to the original topic, some bands choose their support. Especially the medium-big acts travelling over from America to Europe. To get a support slot on a European tour with a band who are guaranteed to play to 15,000+ people per night is publicity that money could never buy.

In regards to RHCP and Noel Gallagher, that's definitely a choice by the promoter in order to sell more tickets.

Thats the Paddy Casey incident. I remember being in the queue for it when found out. Really sucked cos I was on the assumption it'd have been Wolfmother as they supported on all other dates. A let-down to say the least, and clearly a last-minute decision by the promoters.

vonnyoc wrote: »
    Thats most likely the promoter needing to shift tickets for that one.g.php

If thats in relation to PJ, then was sold out so promoters being lazy. If was RHCP, then yup.

Cant see image on phone.

• Advertisement

If thats in relation to PJ, then was sold out so promoters being lazy. If was RHCP, then yup.

Cant see image on phone.

Yep I was talking about the RHCP gig, PJ in 2006 sold out in 5 minutes. Can imagine PJ showing up at the old Point:

"Hey, we're Pearl Jam, so who's supporting us tonight?"

Promoter: "Eh support act, yes that's right you left that to me to sort out, and I totally did, just give me 2 minutes to make a quick phonecall about something completely unrelated...." :D

Advertisement