Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking plastic box off outside light?

• 16-02-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

I've a light in my back garden, it has a plastic box over it and is held on with two bolts. The bolts have two little nicks gone on each side on the top of the bolt. I tried putting a small thin flat head screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer but I still can't get it off.

Could anyone tell me what fitting I need to take the plastic cover off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

I've a light in my back garden, it has a plastic box over it and is held on with two bolts. The bolts have two little nicks gone on each side on the top of the bolt. I tried putting a small thin flat head screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer but I still can't get it off.

Could anyone tell me what fitting I need to take the plastic cover off?

chance posting a picture, cant really imagine what you're describing bolt wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

needlenose pliers will do, but painful.
    cut a notch out of a piece of metal ie. nailfile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The bolts have two little nicks gone on each side on the top of the bolt.
    Possibly some kind of tamper resistant screw head .. does it look like any of the heads here (towards the bottom of the page) perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

its a special screw head alright, you can pick them up at www.cpc.co.uk I have a few lying around if you are ever around northside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

20120220165343.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you buy a standard set of security bits you'll almost certainly get one that'll fit that. It has two prongs on it that engage with those little slots. The set I have has 4 different sizes in it.

See the top left corner of this set for example ... http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200910/SecurityBits_9C448360-D135-BEC6-8E4E8839DCA235B1.jpg

Advertisement