Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Frontman In The World ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Best Singer of All Time

Michael Jackson
    No one is giving MJ a sympathy vote... Are you crazy? Anyone saying something like that does not know what an amazing range he had, how he could control his voice, or what he could do with it. His vocal range was a 4 octave of a tenor, he had an amazing vibrato and sang across just about every genre of music... It is one of the things he is known for. It's sad that some just don't know enough yet comment or merely dismiss him because he was a fantastic dancer as well and somehow they forget what he was originally known for, which was singing from a very young age with the soul of an experienced adult. The emotion and passion he sang with was so authentic and palpable. I am tired of seeing some people discount him when he was both a fantastic singer as well as dancer. He was the complete package as an artist.

Just because your favorite is someone else doesn't mean that it's right to belittle an artist that clearly was an amazing singer or ignore facts that have been in evidence for decades as is the case with Michael Jackson. I don't even know who some of these singers are but that doesn't mean I am going to belittle them.

I love both Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson. The both, to me have insane vocal range and could do so much with their God given talent as vocalists but if I have to choose, it is Michael for me.
    Angel of web design
    I just cant see past the whole children thing , if the thread was best frontbum man id vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The results of a recent poll by XFM have been revealed regarding the world's best frontman.

The list is as follows;

1. Liam Gallagher
    2. Freddie Mercury
    3. Dave Gahan
    4. Dave Grohl
    5. Matt Bellamy
    6. Brandon Flowers
    7. Morrissey
    8. Jim Morrison
    9. Kurt Cobain
    10. Alex Turner
    11. Paul Weller
    12. Mick Jagger
    13. Tom Meighan
    14. Eddie Vedder
    15. Joe Strummer
    16. Ian Curtis
    17. Caleb Followill
    18. Ian Brown
    19. Thom Yorke
    20. Chris Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

karaokeman wrote: »
    The results of a recent poll by XFM have been revealed regarding the world's best frontman.

The list is as follows;

1. Liam Gallagher
    2. Freddie Mercury
    3. Dave Gahan
    4. Dave Grohl
    5. Matt Bellamy
    6. Brandon Flowers
    7. Morrissey
    8. Jim Morrison
    9. Kurt Cobain
    10. Alex Turner
    11. Paul Weller
    12. Mick Jagger
    13. Tom Meighan
    14. Eddie Vedder
    15. Joe Strummer
    16. Ian Curtis
    17. Caleb Followill
    18. Ian Brown
    19. Thom Yorke
    20. Chris Martin

The likes of Ian Brown being in that list is beyond a joke. I'm a fan of the Roses and all but anyone can tell you he can't hold a note live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

No question about it. No one will ever beat Freddie Mercury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

David Byrne, Brian Ferry, Bobby Gillespie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

The list is as follows;

1. Liam Gallagher
    2. Freddie Mercury
    3. Dave Gahan
    4. Dave Grohl
    5. Matt Bellamy
    6. Brandon Flowers
    7. Morrissey
    8. Jim Morrison
    9. Kurt Cobain
    10. Alex Turner
    11. Paul Weller
    12. Mick Jagger
    13. Tom Meighan
    14. Eddie Vedder
    15. Joe Strummer
    16. Ian Curtis
    17. Caleb Followill
    18. Ian Brown
    19. Thom Yorke
    20. Chris Martin

Caleb Followill , haha I seen kings of leon live a few times, although they sound just like they do on the cd, almost too perfect , there was never any audience participation or even acknowledgement , I may as well have just listened to the cd.
    Chris martin shouldnt be on the list just because hes Chris Martin regardless of how talented he is /or middle of the road he is depending on who you ask he is a herbal tea drinking cloud of smugness .
    Ian Brown looks the part but that is all , Thom Yorke just doesnt look the part .
    I take it this is an english brit pop orientated magazine itd explain morrissey , Liam Gallagher and Alex Turner rating higher than Mick Jagger who I know is English but from a time before the voters were born . Id call that list insignificant but all these lists do tend to be .

• Registered Users Posts: 56,498 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cloptrop wrote: »
    He wasnt gay he had a moustache .

Jim Morrison : although he was usually too drunk to perform , when he did nobody had a patch on him
    David Bowie : theres a man that went to every effort to put on a show.

Freddie Mercury was however the best frontman in the world ever , his gayness shouldnt even come into it , he owned the stage , he made a stadium look too small for him .

Cannot look past Mercury. He had it all. Such passion, energy, a stunning voice and great charisma. Yes, numero uno to me. Jagger was a very good front man, but hadn't near the vocal skill of Mercury, and nor the level of crowd interaction. Lots of strutting and posing, but Mercury captivated and mesmerised an audience, because that voice was so so good, as was his connection with each member of the audince. For stadia, you cannot beat Freddie.

Others; Bruce Springsteen, Axl, ACDC fella?, Joe Elliot, Bryan Adams, Lennon.

BTW, how can anyone put Liam Gallagher ahead of Freddie Mercury? Obscene.

flyswatter wrote: »
    The likes of Ian Brown being in that list is beyond a joke. I'm a fan of the Roses and all but anyone can tell you he can't hold a note live.

One of the most overrated performers is Brown. They simply were not all that good as a live act. Not closet o the likes of Mercury or Jagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

walshb wrote: »
    Cannot look past Mercury. He had it all. Such passion, energy, a stunning voice and great charisma. Yes, numero uno to me. Jagger was a very good fromnt man, but hadn't near the vocal skill of Mercury, and nore the level of crowd interaction. Lots of strutting and posing, but Mercury captivated and mesmerised an audience, because that voice was so so good.

Others; Bruce Springsteen, Axl, ACDC fella?, Joe Elliot, Bryan Adams, Lennon.

BTW, how can anyone put Liam Gallagher ahead of Freddie Mercury? Obscene.

Brian Johnson. Bruce Springsteen is more of a solo performer. Axl Rose was a brilliant performer - 'twas a shame he turned into a megalomaniac.

Brian Johnson. Bruce Springsteen is more of a solo performer. Axl Rose was a brilliant performer - 'twas a shame he turned into a megalomaniac.

Agree with the note on Bruce.

I forgot to add James Brown and Plant. Maybe Brown too more a solo. Oh, Phil Lynott. Tremendous singer/performer. Tremendous.

As for solo, I find it difficult to look past a peak Michael Jackson. What an entertainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

walshb wrote: »
    Agree with the note on Bruce.

I forgot to add James Brown and Plant. Maybe Brown too more a solo.

As for solo, I find it difficult to look past a peak Michael Jackson. What an entertainer.

Jacko was better known as a solo artist too.

Jacko was better known as a solo artist too.

Yes, complete solo artist. It's a toss up between him, Elvis and Little Richard.

ricero wrote: »
    im not having a go at freddie i like him he was great fun and a decent singer. ask most people today what you think of freddie mercury and they usually say something about his sexuality. i think that put a vast majority of him and his music.

liam gallagher is cool as **** :cool:

Decent singer? That's like saying Lionel Messi is a decent footballer. Robbie Keane is a decent footballer.

I tend to agree with you as regards Mercury and the masses.. To me he is the best ever, but I always hear that (gay thing) when discussing such topics. Plus, the band were never really accepted or appreciated in the States. Most folks only started to realise how great Queen were when they appeared at Live Aid, and when Mercury passed, even more were awakened to the amazing talents that the man had.

It was like it was seen as uncool to like Mercury or Queen. Sad when you think of it. Closed minds (mostly males) in music bugs me. Same with great acts like Abba and The Bee Gees. Folks refuse to even try and like them, and most folks don't even really know why they "dislike" them.

I guess it's the whole "I'm a man's man, I am into hard rock; anything remotely approaching soft and melodic and "gay", not for me."

• Registered Users Posts: 23 linoleum

The list is as follows;

1. Liam Gallagher
    2. Freddie Mercury
    3. Dave Gahan
    4. Dave Grohl
    5. Matt Bellamy
    6. Brandon Flowers
    7. Morrissey
    8. Jim Morrison
    9. Kurt Cobain
    10. Alex Turner
    11. Paul Weller
    12. Mick Jagger
    13. Tom Meighan
    14. Eddie Vedder
    15. Joe Strummer
    16. Ian Curtis
    17. Caleb Followill
    18. Ian Brown
    19. Thom Yorke
    20. Chris Martin

That list is disgracefully bad....

You've got a handful of good frontmen and then Liam gallagher voted first over Freddie mercury, Joe strummer, dave grohl and kurt cobain!!! For ****s sake...

I don't understand how people can love oasis so much....

Anyone mentioned Jon Bon Jovi? Hell of a performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭skaface

Terry Hall from The Specials... he invented the word COOL !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Liam Gallagher is a clone of Ian Brown.

I like both but Liam has no originality whatsoever.

Advertisement