Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please insurance ?

• 17-02-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello folks a quick question regarding insurance payouts.

I reversed into my sister inlaws car and can`t afford to pay for repairs as out of work. So I proceeded to inquire about claiming. I had to get a quote from a registered mechanic, but having seen there quote of 1400 euro to mend three panels, one on my own car two on the other car.

I am worried that there high cost will leave me paying for it for a few years through higher insurance. My own mechanic who is not registered but works in the evenings at home who says he can mend the 2 cars for half that.
    I have no choice but go through an insurance claim, but don`t want to claim that amount.

My question is who is the check made out to on a claim like this, is it the registered mechanic or to the Policy holder, ie myself. Only asking as i`d rather get it done cheaper and possibly return left over cash to insurers, hoping to keep insurance down for next year. This is my first accident in 11 yrs driving. Never had this stress before.

Thanks for looking any help is much appreciated .
    Micheal.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Do you have bonus protection?

You may be able to make a claim without having effect your bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

bokofinn wrote: »

I reversed into my sister inlaws car and can`t afford to pay for repairs as out of work. So I proceeded to inquire about claiming. I had to get a quote from a registered mechanic, but having seen there quote of 1400 euro to mend three panels, one on my own car two on the other car.

I am worried that there high cost will leave me paying for it for a few years through higher insurance. My own mechanic who is not registered but works in the evenings at home who says he can mend the 2 cars for half that.
    I have no choice but go through an insurance claim, but don`t want to claim that amount.

My question is who is the check made out to on a claim like this, is it the registered mechanic or to the Policy holder, ie myself. Only asking as i`d rather get it done cheaper and possibly return left over cash to insurers, hoping to keep insurance down for next year. This is my first accident in 11 yrs driving. Never had this stress before.

Your sister in law will basically choose who she wants to go to so you should see what she wants to do, hopefully you have a good relationship.

Once you have a claim registered, your insurance will go up as you lose your NCB. 1400 is not very much - some people are claiming 10k - and the difference between let's say 700 and 1400 probably won't matter for your next year's premium. It's more the difference between 0 and not 0. I wouldn't stress over this too much, that's what insurance is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bokofinn

Pythia wrote: »
    bokofinn wrote: »

Your sister in law will basically choose who she wants to go to so you should see what she wants to do, hopefully you have a good relationship.

Once you have a claim registered, your insurance will go up as you lose your NCB. 1400 is not very much - some people are claiming 10k - and the difference between let's say 700 and 1400 probably won't matter for your next year's premium. It's more the difference between 0 and not 0. I wouldn't stress over this too much, that's what insurance is for.

Thanks for that. Will hopefully get it sorted myself now.

Advertisement