Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mis-sold Eircom broadband package

Options
  • 17-02-2012 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all, I am new to boards so apologies for any error in etiquette, my post is for the attention of EIRCOM

I am a returning customer from Vodaphone after signing up for a new package with an Eircom door sales representative who came to my house. He did a line test and told me I could get 8mb uncongested broadband. He promised to contact me with user name / password info for the Vodafone router which I opted to keep using. He did not contact me and I could not get in touch with him on the number he left. I got the info from the broadband support line but router was unable to sustain a connection. Eventually an engineer had to call out, he brought a new Eircom router but this displayed the same problem which we eventually resolved by unplugging the Sky box from the line. I am not happy with this as the Sky box has been plugged in for 6 years with no issues until this switch over! I was without internet for 5 days becasue of this!

Now I feel that the BB is not 8mb, it is definately slower to finish loading pages than the Vodaphone 3mb even though it is now meant to be uncongested. The router shows speed = 6144kbps so I contact broadband support only to be told I dont have 8mb broadband because my line is only capable of up to 5mb.

WHY DID AN EIRCOM SALES PERSON STAND IN MY HALL AND CLEARLY TELL ME MY LINE WOULD SUPPORT 8MB UNCONGESTED BROADBAND WHEN IT COULD NOT???

I strongly feel that I have been mislead and that this sales person at the very least withheld vital information or even lied to me, he told me I could get 8mb broadband and this was the only reason I switched provider, he failed to inform me that my line will only support upto 5mb. This is misrepresentation and I am now very sorry that I decided to give Eircom a second chance and come back to them! I have been mis sold this Eircom product under false pretence of 8mb which was unachievable and this sales person knew that after doing the line test!:mad:

Has this happened anyone else?
    Maybe an eircom representative might like to comment?
    I can provide the name and number for the sales person!

Can Comreg help with this?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

he wanted his commision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

if you signed up at the door it says "up" to 8mb on the papers you sign,it doesnt gurantee 8mb,thats how they can cover themselves but if you feel mislead you can always make a complaint,they usualy get investigated and if they can find a way out of it for you they will:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

8mb is usually somewhere between 5.5mb and 6.5mb. I've 2 8mb packages in different locations and one 20mb package. None of them have ever hit the maximum. the 8mb packages are about 6mb and the 20mb package is about 15mb.

You were and you weren't mis sold. Your not going to get the full speed out of the line. Unless you've access to UPC your not going to get better speeds of anyone else. It's just the way it is.

Here's my 8mb right now.

1778802420.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Decky79 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am new to boards so apologies for any error in etiquette
    Welcome to Boards
    Anecdotally, yes. These "sales people" are not directly employed by eircom. They are contracted in and generally get paid commission only. They will generally tell you what you want to hear to make the sale. Once they get their commission, they don't care how the actual install is completed.

The agent probably did promise that you would get 8Mb, knowing that the paper work only says "up to 8Mb", knowing that most people don't read the paperwork and just sign based on what they are told. This is the crux of the problem. Did you read the contract before signing. Again, most people don't.
    As above, it won't make much of a difference. They are not eircom employees. Eircom may take back the commission but it won't stop them doing it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Our ''8Mb'' Eircom connection only gives around 7Mb at the max

The speeds are quoted as ''upto'' X MB so you could get anything from 8Mb to less than 1MB

Once you sign up you acknowledge that you might not get the full speed.

Be careful with these sales reps they would sell you anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi all, I am new to boards so apologies for any error in etiquette, my post is for the attention of EIRCOM

I am a returning customer from Vodaphone after signing up for a new package with an Eircom door sales representative who came to my house. He did a line test and told me I could get 8mb uncongested broadband. He promised to contact me with user name / password info for the Vodafone router which I opted to keep using. He did not contact me and I could not get in touch with him on the number he left. I got the info from the broadband support line but router was unable to sustain a connection. Eventually an engineer had to call out, he brought a new Eircom router but this displayed the same problem which we eventually resolved by unplugging the Sky box from the line. I am not happy with this as the Sky box has been plugged in for 6 years with no issues until this switch over! I was without internet for 5 days becasue of this!

Now I feel that the BB is not 8mb, it is definately slower to finish loading pages than the Vodaphone 3mb even though it is now meant to be uncongested. The router shows speed = 6144kbps so I contact broadband support only to be told I dont have 8mb broadband because my line is only capable of up to 5mb.

WHY DID AN EIRCOM SALES PERSON STAND IN MY HALL AND CLEARLY TELL ME MY LINE WOULD SUPPORT 8MB UNCONGESTED BROADBAND WHEN IT COULD NOT???

I strongly feel that I have been mislead and that this sales person at the very least withheld vital information or even lied to me, he told me I could get 8mb broadband and this was the only reason I switched provider, he failed to inform me that my line will only support upto 5mb. This is misrepresentation and I am now very sorry that I decided to give Eircom a second chance and come back to them! I have been mis sold this Eircom product under false pretence of 8mb which was unachievable and this sales person knew that after doing the line test!:mad:

Maybe an eircom representative might like to comment?

Can Comreg help with this?

Thank you

Hi Decky79,

Can you private message me with your eircom account number and I will look into the transfer to eircom.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 IrlCasey

As a come back customer (on the behalf of my 85 year old father) this whole rig-ma-rore is painful! What has taken me recently, (move BB and phone from UTV to UPC at my apartment) has been achieved in a total of four days - all done. The same endeavor for my Dad (from UTV BB + phone) has now taken 6 weeks and is still not sorted - i have been on to every department and no-one speaks to each other in Eircom - i recently spent 3 hours being bounced around, only to end up with the same person i had spoken to initially! A load of ***** - i am now very wary of what service they will now deliver to an aged individual who only wants "simplicity" in his old age - bloody hell, should have sent him to UPC! - What's more, i still need to call them to sort the issue out - UPC sent me a text saying all was sorted and kept me i8nformed all along - may as well do their fkn job - **** service - i can vouch for that as i worked there for 3 years and couldn’t get out quickly enough) - rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

work and still do for eircom, dont care who see's what i am about to say, alot of staff do the "waiting game" they pass some1 around from billy to jack to see how long they will stay on the line for, they think its v funny indeed, and that includes managers

• Registered Users Posts: 12 darst

I had the same problem with vodafone and got it solved to my satisfaction. Firstly ring eircom and dont let them pass you around, if its someone in customer care you are talking to then they should be able to resolve it and let them know that, if they cant (or wont ) them demand a supervisor there and then and dont allow them to "take your number" for a call back. Always take names. When they give you the bull**** and you not getting anywhere with them tell them you are about to log a complaint with comreg to which they will say ok cause most people don't. Ring comreg to log it with them even though they will advise you ring eircom back etc but at least it will be on thier system. when you get no joy from your 2nd call to eircom then write a letter explaining your issue and saying that comreg told you to write to them. tell them you expect a responce within 2 weeks abd see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

work and still do for eircom, dont care who see's what i am about to say, alot of staff do the "waiting game" they pass some1 around from billy to jack to see how long they will stay on the line for, they think its v funny indeed, and that includes managers

door to door salespeople selling broadband are not to be trusted in my experience , as they will tell you anything to get a sale, as can be seen from the many posts on boards;

also interesting reading on this link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69205333

this is a good one, going to move the exchange closer?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68982217&postcount=91

have a read here, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78763899&postcount=177

its annoying when someone who has not got basic knowledge about the product they are selling, call to your door, telling blatent lies, and absolute BS, as was evident when i had a call from a broadband sales person telling me that "they had exclusive use of new lines", absolute total and utter BS, and when I explained the way the lines are run, and what he was saying was BS, they just said, ok and off they went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Oceans12 wrote: »
    door to door salespeople selling broadband are not to be trusted in my experience , as they will tell you anything to get a sale, as can be seen from the many posts on boards;
    Door to door salespeople selling ANYTHING aren't to be trusted, full stop ... it doesn't matter if it's electricity, gas, phone, broadband or whatever, do your own research and make your own decision in peace without all the pressure.

Advertisement