Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Ireland rapper show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

tossy wrote: »
    Also the comedy/gimmick aspect has always been a part of hip hop in this country - that is just a natural extension of the Irish character - who can say songs like "dole Q" don't have a heavy comic vibe?

Hip hop is as much as about talking absolute rubbish over a beat as it is about delivering a message,one of the most famous rap tracks of all time "rappers delight" is the biggest collection of **** talking ever.I got into hip hop around 1985/86 and it wasn't because i felt disillusioned at the system,or repressed by the government it was because it made my head nod and it sounded 'coooool'

There is a huge difference between Dole q / dirty c***s and the 059 lads now in fairness.

IHH now and earlier does have a lot of light hearted tracks along with the serious tracks that naturally come and go more at certain times depending on the people too.

The UK "scene" was around before the Irish one and it was only taken seriously not to long ago, so I think thats what is meant by IHH being young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

There is a huge difference between Dole q / dirty c***s and the 059 lads now in fairness..

I think you missed the jist of my point Conor.I was replying to other posters who had said or implied the comedy/gimmick aspect had no place in hip hop in this country.Of course there is no comparing Dole Q and 059,but i like that 059 track alot,it's fun and bouncy and doesn't take itself too seriously and that is as hip hop as rapping about being held down by the man.
    The UK "scene" was around before the Irish one.

Not really,interest in Hip hop in the UK and Ireland was probably born in or around the same time but naturally the UK scene was always going to take off in a massive way that the Irish could never match - but like i said earlier it's not a competition though so it's all good.
    and it was only taken seriously not to long ago

Taken seriously by who? it's all relative isn't it? Besides do you really need some people from outside your scene to take you seriously to be complete as an artist?

People from the main stream music industry have never taken proper UK hip hop seriously,they have paid lip service to things like grime,Ragga etc but only treated them as passing trends,a fad that was dropped for the next cool thing.

I don't think many people believe it has no place, it does not deserve the main place or all the attention which it has and has had for years.

Of course it is all relative it goes without saying like "imo".

I also like the 059 lads they are funny, but them/rubberbandits and the likes have gotten all the attention and it is not as if they are better than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭The Prodigy 2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    what is the purpose of this thread?

<snip> ....No Insults.....Infracted... </snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My beef with the Carlow lads is they're just doing lowest common denominator comedy because it's popular.

1. They're doing it in an American accent. Carlow people should rap in a Carlow accent. It'd be a more interesting angle. If I wanted to hear people do comedy rap in an American accent I'd listen to Americans like Lonely Island who have more well developed ideas, writing chops, top level beats and video production values.

2. There were lads from Kerry called the 066 Crew who did the same thing a few years ago. Again, where's the originality? http://www.myspace.com/066crew

3. The Rubberbandits do comedy so well why would you want to step on their toes? They've bodied Irish comedy rap. Find another angle.

And what's this obsession with making money? Pretty much no Irish music regardless of genre makes money. And if they do it's usually by becoming a hit in the UK or abroad first. Irish radio is a closed shop. I wouldn't even worry about getting day time radio play. Republic of Loose were able to write really good pop RNB singles yet they still only got patchy support. Money does not imply musical success. Ireland has had a couple of really good hip hop albums/EPs most years for the last ten be they from Lethal Dialect, Melodica Deathship, SerOne, Infomatics, MJEX etc. That's a reasonable hit rate considering the small number of people involved in the genre. They got good reviews in Hotpress and the various newspapers. The broader audience of people who have an interest in Irish music know about them and think they're good.

Is everybody good? Of course not. Some people only have good songs, not cohesive albums. But that's the case across the UK and US as well. Nobody is picking tunes or albums at random from those countries and implying that "this countries output doesn't seem to be very good". It's like saying I listened to Markie Mark and he was **** so I'm just going to assume Kendrick Lamar is rapping about similar stuff and probably not very good.

The threads on here can be pretty bloody stupid from time to time. Many of the posts on this are making me hanker after the typical "who's better Biggie or 2Pac?" content that constitutes this forums bread and butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9E6lNsI22I
    Do a rap over that and get it played in the george , honestly make proceeds for aids awareness or something . If you want your name out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Like I dunno whatever, like it is american like. Groups were invented by americans way back like.
    What difference does the origin of the word make? In that case you should be posting in Irish because you're posting English, using English words and therefore trying to be English by your logic.

Dramatik wrote: »
    What difference does the origin of the word make? In that case you should be posting in Irish because you're posting English, using English words and therefore trying to be English by your logic.

Like using american speech patterns and american mannerisms is like ok, but it is a bit weird to do it like and then fob off IHH because they rap which is American in origin.

connor i think you arereading myaccent wrong, and draggingthe bejaysus out of a joke . That may have been mildlu amusing at the start but now your miling it a bit. <snip>insult removed </snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

lol a dog with a bone.

has anyone mentioned the dumb blonde, talking about her soul being free of race, color, creed, religion, or some shyt like that, getting herself arrested during the protests while the queen was over.
    what a fukking idiot.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    lol a dog with a bone.

what?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Do you know what I find funny about rap?
    As a musicain<and im no jimi hendrix>
    How easy it is to play most rap music , me and me mate were rockin still dre tonight and he onle has a key board a week , and i havnt played bass in about 5 years .
    Why is rap soo musically inferiour to other art forms.
    Answers on a postard

youve gone and said something stupid and lost me, i liked you for a few days.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

cloptrop, you're being a dick.

Stop being a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

cloptrop wrote: »
    Do you know what I find funny about rap?
    As a musicain<and im no jimi hendrix>
    How easy it is to play most rap music , me and me mate were rockin still dre tonight and he onle has a key board a week , and i havnt played bass in about 5 years .
    Why is rap soo musically inferiour to other art forms.
    Answers on a postard

Stop Cloptropping!!!

U reckon so?

U reckon so?
    focus, aim your sarcasm in one direction, i liked you better when you were shytting on something that was obviously shyt.

• Advertisement

"Rap" is only "inferior" when you know very very little about it.

Your right connor I cant play sny musical instruments , I cantt write any lyrics, I have never been signed to any labels, and I dont have fancy hair ,
    really I dont , Ill post up how to play still dre the next time me mate is over with the keyboard though.

Your right connor I cant play sny musical instruments , I cantt write any lyrics, I have never been signed to any labels, and I dont have fancy hair ,
    really I dont , Ill post up how to play still dre the next time me mate is over with the keyboard though.

I have heard Still Dre, Rappers Delight and other songs played on Bass.

You are showing pure ignorance.

Thats a bit harsh connor, no need for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I watched the show and then watched it back on Iplayer after reading the reviews of it.

I've been into rap since the mid 80s and didn't realise that there was a "scene" over here.

What the show did for me was start checking out the acts on youtube and sending links onto friends who are into hip hop and rap and there are some great acts out there.

The main criticisms I've read online have been from people who don't listen to rap or hip hop and automatically compare it to American output.

Great to see lads who are so into it.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    The main criticisms I've read online have been from people who don't listen to rap or hip hop and automatically compare it to American output.
    ive heard no one make comparisons with american output, in what sense do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭inagoodway

Today fm 100.6 is playing irish hip-hop this week, starting tonight 27.02.2012 at 22:55 pm.

edit; they only played one track :rolleyes:

re the show on rte, i enjoyed it.

i have been out foreign the last ten years and was involved in the techno trip.

those days are over (thanks god:D ) :D and i ave been looking for a new genre.

had never heard of irish hip hop or rap, but i did read this whole thread after seeing the show, and like someone previosly said found the links and reccomendations for youtube videos etc.

which i will be forwarding via facebook or twitter and so on.

fair play to any artist making music..

i don't have much time for critics

keep up the good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Yet Jedward and Girls Aloud get all the airplay the want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Did republic of telly just ether The IHH show tonight ?

Funny stuff

Funny stuff

Did not watch, is it online?

Funny stuff

Did not watch, is it online?

Should be on the rte player by now bud.

didnt see that, there is plenty of material though so im not surprised, never has something that was supposed to be serious got it so badly wrong.

i know i dont like what ive heard from ihh, but im sure theres those who i cant fault for effort, those people must be thinking wtf, why focus on those idiots, why give those idiots shine.

its the vanilla ice moment of ihh.

ugh that whole inner city dublin thing annoys me, and im inner city dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The main criticisms I had was they all took themselves too seriously, like they wanted to be an Irish version of Nas or Talib Kweli. **** that, just be yourselves, be witty, original and get better production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

godscop wrote: »
    Well i cant wait to hear that masterpiece. A rap on your exploits playing as Fc. Koln on the playstation :cool: i imagine you will be on soccer am in a few weeks. Irelands new rap star.

It's not rap, it's rock and/or roll.

However, I think you're onto something with the rap idea.

A rap-rock hybrid, has anyone tried that?

I was talking about the show with a friend over the weekend.

One thing Redzer said is still bothering me....

How can you go three days without eating when you can get a bit of bread or a packet of biscuits for under a euro?

I've known people who ended up homeless and they still scraped enough together for a small amount of food and this lad appears to have a circle of friends and gets welfare.

I hope I'm not being ignorant, and maybe I'm way off/lucky in life but I don't buy it at all.

Exaggerating social problems in general, that's the crux of my issue with some of the people on the show. I wasn't surprised to see the Occupy Movement featured during one profile.

Pragmatic1 is spot on above, deal with reality and don't preach.

smokedeels wrote: »
    Exaggerating social problems in general, that's the crux of my issue with some of the people on the show. I wasn't surprised to see the Occupy Movement featured during one profile.
    great point, redzer did say some ridiculous things, there is not a chance in hell that he has gone one day without eating, to say other wise is an insult to those who really struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

great point, redzer did say some ridiculous things, there is not a chance in hell that he has gone one day without eating, to say other wise is an insult to those who really struggle.

How the **** would you know what he has and hasn't gone through in his life?

There are, quite a few, people in this country, especially in north inner city Dublin, who live well below the poverty level.

Just because you are lucky enough to be from a family where you haven't had to worry about food on the table doesn't mean you are qualified to make call about anyone else.

Do you ever get tired of your constant trolling and idiocy?

Seaneh wrote: »

There are, quite a few, people in this country, especially in north inner city Dublin, who live well below the poverty level.

Just because you are lucky enough to be from a family where you haven't had to worry about food on the table doesn't mean you are qualified to make call about anyone else.

How many people in Ireland do you think go three days without eating (involuntarily)?

There is terrible poverty in areas of Dublin (on a first world scale) which is an issue and then there's fantasy land, which is the area this lad lives in.

who the fukk do you think your talking to, you dont fukking know me so dont tell me about how lucky i am.
    you dont know anything about real life, if you did you would know people like redzer, you would know they dont go without food for 3 days.

im from that environment, i know those people, dont fukking ever tell me again how lucky i am you piece of shyt.

in future dont let who made the post rule your head when replying, it makes you look like a fukking idiot.

How many people in Ireland do you think go three days without eating (involuntarily)?

There is terrible poverty in areas of Dublin (on a first world scale) which is an issue and then there's fantasy land, which is the area this lad lives in.
    he hasnt got a clue, hes a fukking idiot, talking about north inner city Dublin like he knows about whats going on, only a fukking idiot would think poverty only exists in a certain area.

Hyperbole on Red's part, maybe, but the reality is, and I know from friends who work as social workers, that there is actually a fairly high number of people who would have one or less meal in a 3 day period on a fairly regular basis because after paying rent, bills, debts, medical costs etc, they have no money, they can also be too proud to ask for money.

I have a mate who lost his job about 18 months ago and when he was down the the last bit of his severance money he went 4 days on half a loaf of bread and a tin on beans, we only found out how back it was because a few of us called over to his flat and thought he looked unwell and asked him questions and he finally admitted that he'd spent his last bit of money on his month's rent on the previous friday and wouldn't have anything until he could see the community welfare officer the wednesday, he was too ashamed to ask us for money so he just stayed in his gaf, slept as much as he could and ate bread and drank black tea with sugar, he had the beans when the cramps got really bad on the sunday but was just bread besides that.

If we hadn't walked around to supervalu around the corner and bought him €25 worth of gorceries he wouldn't have had anything to eat the next day at all.

This lad has a masters from NUIG, worked in a well paying job and was interviewing for other jobs but because of the back long of applications for jobseekers allowence he'd had to wait 4 months for his benefits to be paid and once his back taxes and severance and saving were spent, he had nothing.

People DO go days without eating in this country, that's reality, get off your high horse.

he hasnt got a clue, hes a fukking idiot, talking about north inner city Dublin like he knows about whats going on, only a fukking idiot would think poverty only exists in a certain area.

Where did I say it ONLY exisit in north inner city Dublin?

It's more prevalent there than anywhere else in the city, that's a ****ing fact.

5.5% of this country lives below the poverty line on last count, and the percentage is a lot higher when you look excusively at Dublin City.

• Advertisement

Hyperbole on Red's part, maybe, but the reality is, and I know from friends who work as social workers, that there is actually a fairly high number of people who would have one or less meal in a 3 day period on a fairly regular basis because after paying rent, bills, debts, medical costs etc, they have no money, they can also be too proud to ask for money.

I have a mate who lost his job about 18 months ago and when he was down the the last bit of his severance money he went 4 days on half a loaf of bread and a tin on beans, we only found out how back it was because a few of us called over to his flat and thought he looked unwell and asked him questions and he finally admitted that he'd spent his last bit of money on his month's rent on the previous friday and wouldn't have anything until he could see the community welfare officer the wednesday, he was too ashamed to ask us for money so he just stayed in his gaf, slept as much as he could and ate bread and drank black tea with sugar, he had the beans when the cramps got really bad on the sunday but was just bread besides that.

If we hadn't walked around to supervalu around the corner and bought him €25 worth of gorceries he wouldn't have had anything to eat the next day at all.

This lad has a masters from NUIG, worked in a well paying job and was interviewing for other jobs but because of the back long of applications for jobseekers allowence he'd had to wait 4 months for his benefits to be paid and once his back taxes and severance and saving were spent, he had nothing.

People DO go days without eating in this country, that's reality, get off your high horse.

Point taken, I shouldn't make assumptions like that.

TBF, I know where you're coming from, I got an email from a girl I know well recently who left Ireland to go home to her family and admitted to me how bad things got here, which included a lack of anything approaching a decent meal for days. She didn't ask any of us for help, just saved up enough cash and split back to her home country having lived here for years.

Maybe it's ignorance on my part - my girlfriend is involved in social work so I should know better - to classify a few slices of bread over a week as "food" is wrong.

I just got irked by a lad essentially using his poverty as a means of looking street-wise on the TV but when the guy on the thread whose calling people names sides with you, you need to re-asses your point-of-view.

Feel a bit bad hearing that , had a similar experience myself when I had a flat waiting for rent allowance after I lost my job.

Recession ain't no joke and Eithers poverty, it's getting worse that's the sad thing.

Currently trying to save to get to oz ATM myself within in the next year or two.

But both you and Hugh are right in ways IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Feel a bit bad hearing that , had a similar experience myself when I had a flat waiting for rent allowance after I lost my job.

Recession ain't no joke and Eithers poverty, it's getting worse that's the sad thing.

Currently trying to save to get to oz ATM myself within in the next year or two.

But both you and Hugh are right in ways IMO.
    Think most people that werent born with money can relate to going without even if its only for a few days at the end of the month. I remember spending the odd week eating just frozen chips and beans from aldi. Miserable but at least I had something to eat. Another friend survived a year on 20 euro a week after rent. But then both of us would go on a binge for days when we had money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I read some of the things you lads and some of your friends have gone through and realise how lucky i really am, I'm still in school and i don't have to pay any bills or go out and work for money, my family is far from wealthy, at the moment my ma has 800 quids worth of bills to pay and they're all overdue by a good while but we're not as bad off as we could be and i actually admire lads who live through shít like that which has been said :). I went for a job interview in fujitsu today instead of going to school, hopefully i can get the job and hand up a bit of money to my ma to help her with the bills.

i find it easy to believe that redzer has gone days without eating, irish hip hop is hardly gonna pay the bills and he probably has to put most of his dole money towards paying rent and bills and all that bollocks, he really should drop hip hop for a while and go looking for a steady job, i know finding work isn't easy today but i doubt irish hip hop is a full time job and it would probably be wise to leave it for a while and get out there looking for a bit of work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement