Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have the skills to make my own kit.

Options
  • 17-02-2012 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Hi , im a plumber/welder and think id be perfectly able to make any of these homebrewing kits if I knew what I needed.
    Anyone have a drawing of what exactly id need. Blueprints if you must.
    I seen a paint bucket with a small hole in it for $18:95 on one site.
    Are they taking us for a ride with the equiptment?
    I pull the occasional hot water storage cylinder out of peoples houses when they need a new one . It has a coil going through it I could use to regulate temperature . It has an opening for an expansion pipe or safety valve .
    Is there anything else these fancy buckets do that Im missing . Some of these things sell for hundreds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You don't need to be a master craftsman to make a few bits and pieces. A fermenter is just a food grade bucket and a syphon is basically just a tube. You could make a bottling wand too, to make life easier when you're bottling your brew but why bother - they are really cheap..

You'll need to buy a hydrometer & a thermometer. You could probably get everything you need to start making kit beer for €15... maybe even €10 if you give it a bit of time and effort.

If you really have the skillz to pay the billz then why not make an all grain brewing system:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Id need diagrams , all that tells me is I need two kegs with taps on them sitting over a sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

If I had the skills (and room) I would probably build a fermentation chamber and kegerator/keezer all in one. These.

This setup might be a good start for an all grain system but there are loads of different ways of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

cloptrop wrote: »
    Hi , im a plumber/welder and think id be perfectly able to make any of these homebrewing kits if I knew what I needed.
    Anyone have a drawing of what exactly id need. Blueprints if you must.
    I seen a paint bucket with a small hole in it for $18:95 on one site.
    Are they taking us for a ride with the equiptment?
    I pull the occasional hot water storage cylinder out of peoples houses when they need a new one . It has a coil going through it I could use to regulate temperature . It has an opening for an expansion pipe or safety valve .
    Is there anything else these fancy buckets do that Im missing . Some of these things sell for hundreds.

one of those copper cylinders might be worth more in scrap value than the price of a fermenter and tap, airlock etc , as im sure you know.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

HERMS and RIMS are two of the standard set-ups people build at home. You'll find diagrams if you Google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Yeah im thinking for time sent on it and equipment rental money spent on materials and gauges and stuff itd be cheaper just buying a pack.
    There seems to be more to the kits than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Yeah the main thing would be having something easy to clean and sanitise...

Advertisement