Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn mowers, buying a decent one.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Honda is in a different league to the rest. It would be over €1000 here. What's the best US price & bear in mind that you may get copped for duty & VAT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Discodog wrote: »
    The Honda is in a different league to the rest. It would be over €1000 here. What's the best US price & bear in mind that you may get copped for duty & VAT ?

Think the cheapest I saw the honda for is $699. I'm exempt from vat and duty so don't need to worry about that.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've a biggish lawn over 1/2 acre. Bought the Honda last year (looks the same one ) . Cost 950 euro but was worth every penny. Has the adjustable mulch option , self drive and rotostop (engine keeps running but blades stop )
    Highly recommend it. And believe me I looked around :)

And a large grass bag

km79 wrote: »
    I've a biggish lawn over 1/2 acre. Bought the Honda last year (looks the same one ) . Cost 950 euro but was worth every penny. Has the adjustable mulch option , self drive and rotostop (engine keeps running but blades stop )

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards the honda anyway.

How does it fair bagging, does it fill the bag properly? Had a mower and the best it ever did was half fill the bag before the chute got cloged.

• Advertisement

Neilw wrote: »

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards the honda anyway.

How does it fair bagging, does it fill the bag properly? Had a mower and the best it ever did was half fill the bag before the chute got cloged.
    Excellent bagger and mulcher is good too. I generally set it halfway between the two. In wet weather more to the bagging side.
    As I said I got it last year and it never clogged. Not once .
    The bag fills fully and is quite heavy !!!
    For the previous few years Id been renting my neighbors mower. The bag was small and had to restart mower after every empty which was often. The mulcher was a waste of time. And if the grass was anyway wet the mower clogged. Heartbreaking and backbreaking work .
    Honda was expensive but best money I've spent.

€500 for a 21 inch Hydro Honda - how many can you bring in ? :D

Discodog wrote: »
    €500 for a 21 inch Hydro Honda - how many can you bring in ? :D

One, maybe two, I'm limited by shipping weight.

Neilw wrote: »
    One, maybe two, I'm limited by shipping weight.

So if you want to make a profit you would be better filling the container with iPads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Always have had a Rover of some sort over the years,never gave any bother!!

• Advertisement

To be fair the rover I was using was just not suitable for the size of my lawn. But it did clog up. A LOT !

To be fair the rover I was using was just not suitable for the size of my lawn. But it did clog up. A LOT !

Well I would of classed the Rover as the second best non clogging wet weather mower out there :D

By the way OP make sure that you get the service book stamped for your Honda - this is really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

We went to a tool hire place and bought a used 1200 euro mower for 350 - they rent them out for a season or two and then service them and sell them on, great value.

BengaLover wrote: »
    We went to a tool hire place and bought a used 1200 euro mower for 350 - they rent them out for a season or two and then service them and sell them on, great value.

They can be but you can also end up with a clapped out wreck. You need to know what you are buying & be able to assess how it has been used. People that hire don't care too much for the health of the mower. If it is still in good order it can make sense for the company to continue hiring it out,

What did you get that had a €1200 original price ?

Advertisement