Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comission based jobs including Door to Door sales

Options
  • 17-02-2012 4:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

Hi, im heading to Oz in about a month and a half for about a year hopefully, and have been sending CVs away for casual work online through seek.com.au and gumtree for jobs just to have a sort of head start for when I land. I have got back 6 replies about interviews the day after, and they have all been for the commission based jobs like door 2 door sales of electricity etc. Ill be on a WHV.

I wondered why that was an asked around and a mate of mine in perth said some of these commission based door to door jobs can be slightly dodgy, dodgy in the way that they might not pay you per sale but set you a sales figure before you get paid and they know you will be unlikely to reach that figure, thus not having to pay you, but they have signed up the people in the few sales you did make, and that they target backpackers/students etc. desperately looking for work. Any truth to stuff like this or am I being paranoid or anything I should look out for? Just looking for some helpful info if possible cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

One word.

Avoid, (unless you are desperate)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

jank wrote: »
    One word.

Why is that? Any info on why I should avoid them?

Im not desperate at the moment, as I can move inland and try for farmwork or whatever after a few weeks if nothing comes up in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Unless this is salary + sales commission, don't do it, it's a really tough gig,

I have heard of bad stories, I know someone who was selling Foxtel door to door, and he had some issues getting paid, the first week had different rules than the 2nd week, 2nd month again changed.

They target backpackers as no else to sell it.

irish echo had something on it a while ago
    http://www.irishecho.com.au/2010/05/21/backpackers-urged-to-report-illegal-unpaid-trials/3502
    http://www.irishecho.com.au/2010/07/05/unpaid-job-trials-illegal-says-nsw-minister/4055

Though saying that I know one guy who was selling fire extinguishers (base + commission) and he did well enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Avoid it completely! The guys who run these companies are scammers and most of the staff are spoofers! Particularly avoid the charity ones. You know the type, the guys and girls (mainly hot blondes) who stand at the side of a busy street trying to get you to make a monthly pledge. One lad who used to work in that sort of crap told me that after they pay the person who made the sale, his supervisor, his supervisor, that person's supervisor etc etc etc all the way up to the main fat cat at the top, for the first year of the pledge only 5% of the money actually goes to the charity!! SCAM!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

04072511 wrote: »
    Avoid it completely! The guys who run these companies are scammers and most of the staff are spoofers! Particularly avoid the charity ones. You know the type, the guys and girls (mainly hot blondes) who stand at the side of a busy street trying to get you to make a monthly pledge. One lad who used to work in that sort of crap told me that after they pay the person who made the sale, his supervisor, his supervisor, that person's supervisor etc etc etc all the way up to the main fat cat at the top, for the first year of the pledge only 5% of the money actually goes to the charity!! SCAM!!!!!!

Yup.
    Chuggers....charity/muggers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

jank wrote: »
    One word.

Yeh agreed

Our flat mates did it for a while. All commission which means they we're earning very little each week..

Don't believe the hype and spin these companies use when looking for staff It's all nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Excuse the rant...

I worked at this in Ireland for over a year and became an assistant manager in the pyramid scheme they use for promotion. In these times i had the pleasure to work for Concern, Sight Savers and St Josephs pre school for the blind in Druncondra.

The daily goal is 5 sales a day and no basic, i was on 10 euro a sale and a 10 bonus at 5 sales, and the company got the next 10 after that the charity got everything. The average person keeps there monthly payment up for 2 years. So we basically got the 1st 2 payments..

Now before everyone says thats loads of money you have to look at the fact that were professional sales people knocking on doors (for free if we dont sell) over 120 doors a day and rejections. Send an admin person from Concern out they wouldnt last an hour and they would be on the bus home. I have seen more people last half an estate and sneak away this is not an easy job.

Maybe slightly off the point but this is a very rewarding job if your good at it, i have raised over 40000 in funds, the maths do not add up because i sold well over 5 a day.

Good luck in this job if you take one, but its hard and be proud of it if you do well, you are making a difference even if you are annoying people.

Advertisement