Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview anyone??

Options
  • 17-02-2012 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Was thinkin about cancellin the sky account and gettin a box to receive the fta channels i know the sky box receives them too but was thinkin about gettin a box that gets the fta and with the saorview areial connected to it ill be able to get the irish stations through the box along with the fta channels so wont have to switch over to my basic cable(old ntl wire)to get irish channels.

Anyone got saorview whats it like reception whys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I have saorveiw in for about 4 months and it's the best thing i ever did.Top quailty picture and sound.I also put up a Triax dish and that has excellent reception as well.My system was supplied and installed by the Sony center on the tramore rd (westgate business pk).
    No more hours wasted on the phone to Ntl or their automated answereing and poor service.
    Now if I can figure out a way around the TV license,my veiwing will be totally free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I have as per Giles for over a year now and excellent no complaints and no bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

What the cost of setting up like ? Dish ,box etc
    Is muti room viewing easy to set up ?

Supply and install,cost me 300e and i'm a stickler for not seeing cables so install was not easy for them,but they impressed me.
    Saorveiw also gives you all Irish radio stations in crystal clear stereo,my fav is RTE Gold not stop golden oldies without ad's or some nonsensecial dj rabbiting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭larchielads

thanks for the input lads. was thinkin about installing the aeriel myself is it as simple as puttin it on the roof and pointin it in the general direction or does it have to be set at a certain point/angle degrees or somethin like that???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

it sounds brilliant lads, how many tv channels can it pick up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I have saorveiw in for about 4 months and it's the best thing i ever did.Top quailty picture and sound.I also put up a Triax dish and that has excellent reception as well.My system was supplied and installed by the Sony center on the tramore rd (westgate business pk).
    No more hours wasted on the phone to Ntl or their automated answereing and poor service.
    Now if I can figure out a way around the TV license,my veiwing will be totally free.

Supply and install,cost me 300e and i'm a stickler for not seeing cables so install was not easy for them,but they impressed me.
    Saorveiw also gives you all Irish radio stations in crystal clear stereo,my fav is RTE Gold not stop golden oldies without ad's or some nonsensecial dj rabbiting on.

Are you sure it's Saorview that you have?

Not great on the technical side but I have a box the gives me both saorview all the british free to air channels as well, about fifty odd some ****e some good but end up watching mainly BBC Four which I love.

are those dishs they sell in aldi or lidl anygood ???

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Not great on the technical side but I have a box the gives me both saorview all the british free to air channels as well, about fifty odd some ****e some good but end up watching mainly BBC Four which I love.

What box is it how much and where can I get one and is it any good???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks for the input lads. was thinkin about installing the aeriel myself is it as simple as putting it on the roof and pointin it in the general direction or does it have to be set at a certain point/angle degrees or somethin like that???

I have it about 4 months now with a combo box Arivia 120, and did it myself, this gives you both satellite and DTT, (digital terrestrial tv) ie saorview.

I'm getting a great signal from an aerial on the floor in the attic, but you need to check first which mast you should point it at for best reception in your area.

Type your address in here and it will give you the details.

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-checker/coverage-map/

What box is it how much and where can I get one and is it any good???

I had two of them fitted for 300 euro a year or so ago, excellent quality,a guy from TRAMORE don't think I can put his name up here pm
    me if you want his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

There's two types of boxes folks, there's a Saorview box and a Combo Box which combines the Saorview and the FTA. The combo box will need a sat dish to pick up the UK channels.

Junior wrote: »
    There's two types of boxes folks, there's a Saorview box and a Combo Box which combines the Saorview and the FTA. The combo box will need a sat dish to pick up the UK channels.
    do i need an arial with the combo box???

Yes

Yes
    Through a dish?

Through a dish?

If you read my first post and i quote."I have saorveiw in for about 4month's.
    I ALSO put up a triax dish" unquote.
    My tv was saorveiw compatible so i did not need a saorveiw box.

do i need an arial with the combo box???

To have complete free veiwing you will need a aerial and a dish and a combo box unless your tv is saorveiw compatible,then you only need box for dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Depending where you are the Saorview antenna can work perfectly well in the attic so try that first.

Saorview is a pile of plop, you get a better reception with a coat hanger

• Advertisement

Saorview is a pile of plop, you get a better reception with a coat hanger

At the cooking sherry again Billy

Saorview is a brand not a technical standard! Yes the definition of the channel transmission is poor apart from RTE 2 HD but things will improve when the second MUX is on line.

I have never had a problem with my saorveiw reception on any tv channel or radio station,picture and sound perfect all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ClickityClick

Have I got Saorview? I have a sky box which cost me E200, no sky sub. and I have no bills. I get all the free channels, my TV is HD ready and the aerial and dish were installed by a professional about three years ago. Am I ready for the change-over???

Well do you have Irish channels?

can you opperate more then one telly with one Saorview box or do you need one for each telly ?

Mike, I have all the Irish channels

Mike, I have all the Irish channels
    Digitally?

Yes

• Advertisement

Yes
    You have Saorview.

Advertisement