Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Memory of Light general discussion [SPOILERS FROM POST 171 ONWARDS!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Oh ffs pushed back again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good info on Sanderson's blog here. Explains the date a bit more, such as him being on the 2nd draft currently and that it's 20% too long and needs to be edited.

To be honest although Sanderson has made the series more interesting, I've enjoyed other series a lot more since the Wheel of Time started spinning so I can wait a bit longer easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's only a little delay. Brings it up closer to my birthday and I'll be on Christmas holidays as well. So the delay has worked out nicely for me, as November would of been tricky trying to fit in the 3 days of reading required.

The downside is that the next Stormlight Archive will be delayed as a result of this. Now that is something that will irk me.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

matrim wrote: »
    Tor have announced the release date for A Memory of light will be January 8, 2013

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/02/the-release-date-for-a-memory-of-light-has-been-set

I was hoping it would be this year :(

Now to try and braid my beard so I have one to pull out of frustration

Fingers crossed the world does not end on 21/Dec/2012... If i die before i get to read that book i am going to haunt the **** out of whomever survives :D

So Sanderson had, up until last week, said that a Fall/Winter date was likely given he's just about finished draft two. It's Jordan's widow who is ultimately deciding the date and nothing to do with Sanderson (who would have it to us earlier probably).

Anyway, his next book after that will be the second part of the Stormlight Archive so he should begin writing it soon as "A Memory of Light" goes to editing stage (and possibly some re-writes).

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    So Sanderson had, up until last week, said that a Fall/Winter date was likely given he's just about finished draft two. It's Jordan's widow who is ultimately deciding the date and nothing to do with Sanderson (who would have it to us earlier probably).

Anyway, his next book after that will be the second part of the Stormlight Archive so he should begin writing it soon as "A Memory of Light" goes to editing stage (and possibly some re-writes).

His assistant said that Stormlight could be out in the summer of 2013 but probably the autumn of 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

A memory of light is finished. Pre-order is available from Amazon.
    http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1101/Today-I-got-up-and-I-did-not-have-a-Wheel-of-Time-book-to-work-on.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »

His assistant said that Stormlight could be out in the summer of 2013 but probably the autumn of 2013.

Good news all i need is Rothfuss to get the finger out with doors of stone and then go into cryosleep for 10 years and pick up the finished stormlight archive and mistborn.

10? Better make that 20 I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Eurgh, they're going ahead with that three month delay on digital. I was hoping that they'd see sense and release them simultaneously.

• Advertisement

Eurgh, they're going ahead with that three month delay on digital. I was hoping that they'd see sense and release them simultaneously.
    Noticed that last night. Very backwards thinking. I've pre-ordered, for example, Peter F. Hamilton's and Joe Abercrombie's new books in e-book format and they're released on the same day as the traditional medium. I probably won't wait but it'll be a resentful buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've posted my feelings on it before. All I'll say is that I'll be reading it on my Kindle one way or another before it's official release.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rhavin

Excerpt from the prologue found here:
    http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/04/a-memory-of-light-prologue-excerpt

Was a stupid decision to read it though :D Just made me want to go back and read a few of them again

Another taster of the book here:
    http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/09/a-memory-of-light-chapter-11-excerpt

Sanderson really cannot write Matt, woeful stuff there. Chapter 11 and Matt is still farting around!

Prologue is available from Dragonmount.com, just need to enter in an America address. $2.99 though, so you'll be paying for it twice but it's good reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Prologue is available from Dragonmount.com, just need to enter in an America address. $2.99 though, so you'll be paying for it twice but it's good reading.

Is this like pre-release DLC for books? Did they do this for the previous releases or just this one, I seem to recall prologues being released in the past without having to pay for them.

Is this like pre-release DLC for books? Did they do this for the previous releases or just this one, I seem to recall prologues being released in the past without having to pay for them.

The last few have been paid for but before Gathering Storm I'm not sure as I only got the books in store and wasn't really aware of any of the online stuff.
    I think they were free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The last few have been paid for but before Gathering Storm I'm not sure as I only got the books in store and wasn't really aware of any of the online stuff.
    I think they were free though.

I'm pretty sure the prologues were free, wasn't half this one already released? I'm rereading now to be ready for the last book so will wait for that

matrim wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the prologues were free, wasn't half this one already released? I'm rereading now to be ready for the last book so will wait for that

One characters point of view was released, I think maybe 5-10 pages. The prologue is nearly 80

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Can anyone who's bought it confirm length?

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    Can anyone who's bought it confirm length?

79 pages.

Chapter 1, now available, for free, on Tor's website.

Must resist temptation.

Must resist temptation.

It's good and Rand muses about a certain forsaken. :)

It's good and Rand muses about a certain forsaken. :)
    Does Nynaeve get a chance to tug her braid?

Does Nynaeve get a chance to tug her braid?

Unfortunately no, she was too busy extrapolating the benefits of stout two rivers wool dresses over these fancy new silk dresses, that she can stop wearing at any time. Did have time to mention how useless men are and argue with Egwene and Elayne.

Should be good as long as Rand muses that matt is better with woman, matt that perrin is better and perrin that Rand is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I just read the prologue and chapter one and am now humming with excitement. I cant wait for January.

So any indication yet on
    who demandred is?

• Advertisement

So any indication yet on
    who demandred is?

Looking likely he is
    Roedran

Advertisement