Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Memory of Light general discussion [SPOILERS FROM POST 171 ONWARDS!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    outrigger novels

What are these?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

matrim wrote: »
    What are these?

Nothing now but they were to be novels set after the last battle concerning Mat, Tuon and the Seanchan.
    Jordan's wife doesn't want them done and Sanderson is against the idea as well. Insufficient notes.
    That's not to say we won't see them in a decade or so. There was also 2 more planned prequels.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm getting it on my Kindle as it'll arrive the moment it's released. Digital is great isn't it.

Oh, wait....

Irritating alright, although I have the physical copies of the other books, so might as well have the physical copy of this one too. The only kindle book I pre ordered was the last GRRM one, but it would have been nice to have this option for AMOL as well. FU Mrs Jordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It was Jordan's intention to leave a lot of loose ends dangling, so we could see some unresolved plots. Defintely the seanchan because we were going to be getting Mat and them in the outrigger novels. Demandred probably won't even show up.

Yeah they better do something with demandred, he was meant to be lews therin's arch arch enemy and we've seen little or nothing on him.

Yeah they better do something with demandred, he was meant to be lews therin's arch arch enemy and we've seen little or nothing on him.

I reckon he will turn against the shadow, if he does indeed show up. Chapter 1 that was released has Rand musing in Demandred and seem to be laying the groundwork.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've an ever increasing feeling that there's going to be an irritatingly large amount of plot threads left open for books that will never materialize.

ixoy wrote: »
    I've an ever increasing feeling that there's going to be an irritatingly large amount of plot threads left open for books that will never materialize.

Jordan was quoted as saying that some plot lines wouldn't be resolved within the main books and also that some wouldn't even get touched on in any outriggers.

These outriggers and prequels will eventually get published. The main series has sold over a 100 million books and the demand for more will always be there and really will probably increase as more new readers get the taste.
    Jordan's widow may not want to release any further books in the universe but she may change her mind and eventually the books rights will be in another's hands.
    Everything counts in large amounts and money more so.
    The Hobbit films being a nice example. A sub 300 page book being adapted into possibly 9 hours of film.

I reckon he will turn against the shadow, if he does indeed show up. Chapter 1 that was released has Rand musing in Demandred and seem to be laying the groundwork.
    I've a funny feeling it will be ishmael\moridin who turns in the end, ishmael was a philospher in the age of legends who turned because he thought the shadow would eventually win and there was no point in delaying the inevitable.With the way he's linked with rand now, i can see him have something similar to rand's epiphany on dragonmount. Demandred's hate of Lews Therin just seems too personal to overturn. Mins viewing of rand being 2 people and 1 dieing could refer to the moridin link and not lews therin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Is there anywhere I could read a 'previously on' style re-cap of the books? I've forgotten most of everything going on and may also have missed some things that could be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

s.welstead wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I could read a 'previously on' style re-cap of the books? I've forgotten most of everything going on and may also have missed some things that could be important.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread

• Advertisement

I've a funny feeling it will be ishmael\moridin who turns in the end, ishmael was a philospher in the age of legends who turned because he thought the shadow would eventually win and there was no point in delaying the inevitable.With the way he's linked with rand now, i can see him have something similar to rand's epiphany on dragonmount. Demandred's hate of Lews Therin just seems too personal to overturn. Mins viewing of rand being 2 people and 1 dieing could refer to the moridin link and not lews therin.

Demandred will not turn to the light but will go his own way and if it happen to correspond with the light for a bit, ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I'm annoyed that this didn't come out before Christmas. Watching crap on television instead and when it does come out in January will be too busy to enjoy. grrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Good luck id say it will be hard to find a copy on the shelf for a couple of weeks. You could try amazon or easons online and see if you can pre order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Jordan was quoted as saying that some plot lines wouldn't be resolved within the main books and also that some wouldn't even get touched on in any outriggers.

These outriggers and prequels will eventually get published. The main series has sold over a 100 million books and the demand for more will always be there and really will probably increase as more new readers get the taste.
    Jordan's widow may not want to release any further books in the universe but she may change her mind and eventually the books rights will be in another's hands.
    Everything counts in large amounts and money more so.
    The Hobbit films being a nice example. A sub 300 page book being adapted into possibly 9 hours of film.

Towers of Midnight and The Gathering Storm really laid on the idea of a post-Last Battle series resolving the Seanchan plot. Take Aviendha's visions, for instance.

EDIT: I've also been looking for an early copy of A Memory of Light. If anyone should happen to get hold of a copy, and finish it, please feel free to PM me all the spoilers you think my brain can handle. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

I've got Towers of Midnight in my bookshelf for a year now and haven't read it yet. I will start on it tomorrow after the re-read of TGS.

i must admit I am confused about some of the Foresaken as to who is exactly who but I'll struggle on...;)

Has anyone read Way of Kings books yet..?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

I've got Towers of Midnight in my bookshelf for a year now and haven't read it yet. I will start on it tomorrow after the re-read of TGS.

i must admit I am confused about some of the Foresaken as to who is exactly who but I'll struggle on...;)

Has anyone read Way of Kings books yet..?

The Way of Kings is great in my opinion. Very entertaining read.

jamezy wrote: »
    The Way of Kings is great in my opinion. Very entertaining read.

Thanks for that...:)

Its said he plans it to be a multi book epic...

Thanks for that...:)

Its said he plans it to be a multi book epic...

10 books and he's considering a crossover with the mistborn books, different worlds same universe.

10 books and he's considering a crossover with the mistborn books, different worlds same universe.

Wow! I've not read Mistborn. Do you recommend it..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I'm currently on Towers of Midnight, the final book of my reread - it's only having reread them sequentially that I realised how differently Sanderson writes them. Very excited for the last one now.
    Wow! I've not read Mistborn. Do you recommend it..?

I really enjoyed the Mistborn series, quite fast paced and very well developed world and magic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goonstriss

Does anyone have any idea which is the best bookshop in Dublin to go on the 8th to ensure there is a copy of AMOL available. Will anywhere sell it before that? I want to take off work to make a start at reading it but wanna make sure I have a copy in hand.

Has anyone tried or had any luck outside Dublin in getting a copy early?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Has anyone tried or had any luck outside Dublin in getting a copy early?
    I imagine that there's an embargo on releasing it early. I asked about embargos before - if there isn't any, they'd put it up on the shelves when ever they wanted. So, by way of example, one of the Raymond E. Feist books was out about a month before its official publication date and the new Stephen Baxter Doctor Who book was also in Hodges Figgis over a month before Amazon would ship it.
    'A Memory of Light' though could be different.

Still not sure about whether I'll wait for the e-book version or buy it in hardback. I've got an Eason's voucher to use as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Reserved a copy in my nearest bookshop just in case, though i doubt there will be any issues as when i was reserving it they were pretty sure they would have plenty of copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Goodreads have an interview with Sanderson up at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm only on book 4 so looks like I won't get my reread done before it's out.

I probably just end up getting the new one, read it and then finish the reread of the others after.

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    I'm only on book 4 so looks like I won't get my reread done before it's out.

I probably just end up getting the new one, read it and then finish the reread of the others after.

Yeah in the same boat, book 9 on audio(the matt and tylin scenes till crack me up) and not a hope of getting audio done by tuesday.

Advertisement