Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sediment - What do you do with yours

Options
  • 17-02-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Well?

Me? I just turf the bottle of beer into the glass, and usually end up with some sediment too. It makes the beer a bit cloudy but I am not overly bothered!

Anyone got a *thing* about sediment and throws away an inch of beer per bottle because of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

nope doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I've heard that some people can have bad reactions to certain types of yeast in terms of destroying the toilet the next day.

Just throw the bottle in a glass and drink up, I actually like my beer a bit cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭TempPeck

Yup.

I am very picky about the sediment. I carefully take the bottle from the fridge taking care not to disturb it. I easily and slowly tip the bottle while whispering sweet nothings to it.
    When I get near the end and the potential sedimenty gunk I bin that crap!

Dunno why, i just do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Do you find it difficult to get the beer out while leaving the sediment?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I make sure to pour out all the beer in one go. The sediment seems to get roused when going for the second pour.

Sky King wrote: »
    Do you find it difficult to get the beer out while leaving the sediment?!

Not really, if the bottle has been sitting in the fridge for a number of days then the sedimnent can be quite gloopy at the bottom. A slow pour and stopping before the end can lead to quite a clear brew. I'd advise anyone to try both methods and see which they prefer.

Getting thirsty now ....

• Advertisement

Shiny wrote: »
    I make sure to pour out all the beer in one go. The sediment seems to get roused when going for the second pour.
    Ah... there's my problem. I have no pint glasses at home so i need two goes.

Think there's some pint glasses knocking round this place though....

IKEA do some great beer glasses

Any time i see beer glasses written down I automatically think beer goggles!

I found a stash here in a cupboard. Yoink!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you save it beer is excellent for catching slugs, you get a 2L PET bottle and cut the bottom off it, then bury in the garden so its like a hole on a golf course. Then fill with old seds and the slugs all go into it and drown.

If you have seds in your barrel after bottling you can fill up a 2L or 1.5L bottle, and leave it in the fridge and it will settle and you can usually syphon half of what is left off again.

I usually try and leave mine in the bottle, I don't mind a little, I know some people like it and stir it all in. I have seen people swirling bottles in pubs here, I was pissed off in germany when barmaids were doing it for me, they pour it in and really swirl it up at the end. I read some beers recommend swirling on the label, but still think it should be left up to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

rubadub wrote: »
    If you save it beer is excellent for catching slugs, you get a 2L PET bottle and cut the bottom off it, then bury in the garden so its like a hole on a golf course. Then fill with old seds and the slugs all go into it and drown.

If you have seds in your barrel after bottling you can fill up a 2L or 1.5L bottle, and leave it in the fridge and it will settle and you can usually syphon half of what is left off again.

I usually try and leave mine in the bottle, I don't mind a little, I know some people like it and stir it all in. I have seen people swirling bottles in pubs here, I was pissed off in germany when barmaids were doing it for me, they pour it in and really swirl it up at the end. I read some beers recommend swirling on the label, but still think it should be left up to the customer.

Depends on the beer, doesn't it? A kristalweisen is already filtered for sediment, where as hefeweisen is not. If you order the latter, the waitress is just giving you what you ordered when she swirls it around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 idrinkbeer

it's all good. drink it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you order the latter, the waitress is just giving you what you ordered when she swirls it around!
    I would prefer they do not pour it, I am really ordering a bottle of beer and glass, I prefer to pour myself, its a pretty personal thing TBH. I don't like people buttering my toast either.

I see a lot of people doing a slow pour so obviously it is fairly split how people like it, maybe its not as much the case in Germany though. They also put lemon in my beer which I did not appreciate.

seems it is only recently popular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weissbier
    Note the swivelling of the nearly empty bottle: This serves to pick up the yeast, an important part to unfiltered beer's complete taste, although a controversy about this procedure exists. In fact, it was very uncommon to pick up the yeast until the 1970s when the first "Kristallweizen" hit the market in Germany. Due to the extremely bitter taste of yeast it was never supposed to be served with the beer, but to remain inside the bottle until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's a cultural thing. German beer is often bottled, not kegged, and it's expected that the waitress will pour it. Most people don't want a pile of bottles cluttering up their table. It's not like ordering a bottle of Guinness or cider here in Ireland, where you expect to pour the drink yourself.

The average German drinker doesn't care how their beer is poured - they're ordering the end product, not the process, and have little interest in whether it's from a tap or bottle.

As for the lemon? It's part-and-parcel, I'm afriad. Weiss beers are almost always served with them. A bit like olive in a martini; if you don't want him, you need to say so when ordering.

Regarding the swivelling: the link basically reaffirms what I was saying. Before the introduction of Kristalweisen, it was not clear whether you wanted the sediment or not. But now with the Hefe/Kristalweisen choice, you're stating your preference when you order.

Advertisement