Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinatown-Dublin

Options
  • 17-02-2012 10:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Over the last decade or so it is fair to say that there has been an explosion in asian restaurants around the D1 area-mainly Parnell and Capel St. There must be at least 30 restaurants between the two streets.

I am very keen to try some of these out. Very often, however, they are so authentic they don't even have an english menu and you never get to try the really interesting choices as they often give you what a european person think of as chinese (sweet and sour etc.)

I was wondering has anyone any good recommendations of places and meal choices?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Where should there be a China Town in Dublin? I for one would love that there is one.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

dubh101 wrote: »
    Where should there be a China Town in Dublin? I for one would love that there is one.:)

Parnell and Capel St. (as per my OP!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Chinese double-facepalm. :D

[malware snip]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They all have English language menus, even if they look like they might not - ask the waiter/waitress if you want something away from 'Sweet and sour chicken' and 'Beef curry'.

Visit Mandarin House on Parnell Street - almost across from the exit of the ILAC for some gloriously named and very tasty dishes. The staff will help explain what they are. They have a lovely cold beef starter which I can recommend, though it's an enormous amount of meat for a starter - maybe best shared.

Review
    Another review

spurious wrote: »
    They all have English language menus, even if they look like they might not - ask the waiter/waitress if you want something away from 'Sweet and sour chicken' and 'Beef curry'.

Visit Mandarin House on Parnell Street - almost across from the exit of the ILAC for some gloriously named and very tasty dishes. The staff will help explain what they are. They have a lovely cold beef starter which I can recommend, though it's an enormous amount of meat for a starter - maybe best shared.

Review
    Another review

thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Ive had lunch a few times in charming noodles on parnell st ( near fibbers ) and it very nice. They have a english menu with the usual stuff but also a menu with more traditional chinese meals. Ask the servers they are very friendly. It quite cheap and well worth a vist.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Parnell and Capel St. (as per my OP!)
    Na A China Town would have to have a big chinese gate,like liverpool or manchester etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Can anyone recommend a Dim Sum restaurant in that area?

Na A China Town would have to have a big chinese gate,like liverpool or manchester etc.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My favourites would be

Mandarin House on Parnell St
    Hilan on Capel St
    Chuan on Capel St

Kimchi (which is Korean) on Parnell St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

+1 for Mandarin House. Was there again last Friday night and it's as delicous as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

We went to LeeKee a couple of weeks ago, it's up the far end of Parnell St (not the cinema end), past Kimchi but not quite as far as Charming Noodles.

We saw some delicious traditional dishes from the window and went in - they gave us the "standard Irish menu" but when we explained that we didn't want chicken balls and sweet and sour sauce the waiter was more than happy to describe and recommend dishes for us!

Absolutely delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Hilan on Capel Street is a good recommendation.

Pho Viet on Parnell Street is good for Vietnamese food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Na A China Town would have to have a big Chinese gate,like Liverpool or Manchester etc.
    Mmm finding it hard not to insult you but I've been to the "China Town" in Liverpool and there ain't to many "China Men" there, I reckon there is defiantly more Chinese (1st or 2nd generation) in Dublin than Liverpool at the moment,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

+1 to Pho Viet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I have also received a recommendation off a pal for Mandarin House, keep saying I am going to try it out. It's on the list now anyway!

Advertisement