Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please keep your butts in..!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

smash wrote: »
    Actually it would be very easy to do! :rolleyes:

Course not.

Prove someone gave you back the butt you stupidly and carelessly threw out the window?

My arse you can prove that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

With regard to that Halfords ashtray that fits into a cupholder, this is ironic..
    halfords Ashtray product description

The Halfords Ashtray fits into your car's cup holder and can be easily removed and cleaned, keeping your car interior fresh.

I've never known a smoker's car (in which they smoke) to be fresh in the first place!

I should know, my first car was previously owned by a smoker and it was fooken rank! That was the only car of mine I smoked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

Yep, other half borrowed a family car when she was new to driving, and oh my effing baby holy moses, the stench gave me a headache every time I go near it. I have massive sympathies for anyone who have to put up with a family member smoking - I would rather live with someone with body order, smelly feet and a serious fart issue rather than live with a smoker, or a drive a car with smoke stench..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

I used to smoke 40+ but have since reduced.
    I never use an ashtray the smell of stale cigarettes and ash all over the car would make a smoker sick.
    Butt goes out the window most of the time. I don't smoke in anything other than heavy traffic so I don't know how a lit cigarette is going to magically float off the ground where I threw it into the face of a cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

mrs crilly wrote: »
    No quite the opposite my car does not have an ashtray up front as there are engine gauges in its place. Shove that in your pipe and smoke it.

Ahem..

http://www.team.ie/search_display.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A mate of a mate once saw a man launching a pile of live ducks, yes ducks, out of the car window on the motorway at 100km/h, swooping away mid flight. Beat that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Thank you but one of the members has already kindly agreed to purchase a cigarette disposal unit for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Lads if you see someone throw a cigarette butt out their window take their reg number with a description of the car and report it to your local county council.

I was stuck in traffic before and a woman dropped her cigarette out the window and lit another. I got out, picked up the butt and handed it back to her explaining that she must have dropped it in error. Drove on and watched in my rear view mirror and she just tipped it out the window again so I reported her and got an email back a few weeks later to say she had been sent a fixed penalty in the post. From then on if i ever see someone littering like that ill report it. It may be petty but it might make someone think twice about what is a manky thing to do.

A cigarette butt may be a small thing but there are thousands of them being thrown around every day and its bad for the environment and disgusting to have to look at. Makes a filthy habit even worse.

Fair play to you but you'd wonder how the council could impose such a thing. If I were that smoker I'd obviously challenge the fine and can't imagine it would be upheld with no proof that I did such a thing other than an email from one person.

Also, if I were a malicious individual, I could make the same claim about an individual I'm not too fond of and wouldn't have to prove it.

Not saying you're lying or anything just that I find it hard to see how the council could follow through in the absense of proof. Still, getting a fine in the post might give someone a wake-up call as to their behaviour, which is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

True. I think the moral of the story here is that you are opening yourself up to a load of grief by returning the butt, literally or verbally. Instead, go the proper way and report them. Whether they get fined or not is immaterial. They will get the message.

In other smoking related news: My mother in law says she smokes "healthy ciggarettes" and she even told her doctor this!!

Thats how much denial smokers can be in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thats the least of your worries,

I was driving the Mallow - Cork road and some guy started throwing phone books out the Window.

Did you get his number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Did you get his number

BAN!

Really pissy excuses - Try this one. PM me your address and I'll pay for it.

Serial Complaint I pm'd you my address but I never heard anything back from you about your generous offer :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm a flicker! :eek::cool::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Serial Complaint I pm'd you my address but I never heard anything back from you about your generous offer :confused:

You're dead right - I let this one slip. I wanted to check out some local pound shops or car accessory shops to see if I could find something close by, but I never got round to it.

I'll try to have a look this weekend, and I'll let you know.

You're dead right - I let this one slip. I wanted to check out some local pound shops or car accessory shops to see if I could find something close by, but I never got round to it.

I'll try to have a look this weekend, and I'll let you know.

Mate your grand, have not had a smoke in 3 days, I think this is a better solution to the problem ;)

Now can I keep it up is the question :eek:

• Advertisement

Well done mrs crilly, you know you can..!

PS: If you smoke again, the kitteh dies.

fdk.jpg

positron wrote: »

fdk.jpg

Aww I can't see the pic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

fdk.jpg

Aww I can't see the pic :(

That's cause it's dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Pffft, cigarette butts. I once had a VW Passat chuck a bag of sugar and then a bag of flower at me on the N7 at 100kmh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

heate wrote: »
    I used to smoke 40+ but have since reduced.
    I never use an ashtray the smell of stale cigarettes and ash all over the car would make a smoker sick.
    Butt goes out the window most of the time. I don't smoke in anything other than heavy traffic so I don't know how a lit cigarette is going to magically float off the ground where I threw it into the face of a cyclist.

Ive news for you buddy your car does stink of stale smoke and so do you so this is BS.

Nice lack of personal responsibility aswell im sure somebody else will clean up your filth.

• Advertisement

Mate your grand, have not had a smoke in 3 days, I think this is a better solution to the problem ;)

Now can I keep it up is the question :eek:

Brilliant, congrats. Now you can look forward to being a smug ex-smoker who has all of the 'zeal of the convert' and gets to bug their mates about their filthy habit.

Brilliant, congrats. Now you can look forward to being a smug ex-smoker who has all of the 'zeal of the convert' and gets to bug their mates about their filthy habit.

Well I am afraid I got a nasty wake up call instead, the mother has been diagnosed with copd :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Throwing cigarette butts out of windows has (allegedly) killed people. For example, many people believe that the cause of the Mont Blanc tunnel fire was because somebody threw their cigarette butt out of their car, which landed in the air intake of a truck, causing the air filter to catch fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Well I am afraid I got a nasty wake up call instead, the mother has been diagnosed with copd :(

Sorry to hear that. Is she a smoker too? The sooner you give up the better, I've a brother that is 4 years younger than me who smokes and every single person says he is older than me. He is smoking about 15 years now.

Sorry to hear that. Is she a smoker too? The sooner you give up the better, I've a brother that is 4 years younger than me who smokes and every single person says he is older than me. He is smoking about 15 years now.

Yup 20 Rothmans every day for the last 40 years or so.

Such a waste of money, time and health..! I honestly think cigarette prices should be doubled, smoking banned from public places etc - anything and everything to discourage smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

Such a waste of money, time and health..! I honestly think cigarette prices should be doubled, smoking banned from public places etc - anything and everything to discourage smoking.

Some people have a similar view on fuel tax .. car users are such a waste of scarce resources!

No I still think people should be allowed do their own thing and make their own choices in life.

It's like A*******.....I don't have the right to tell another human being what to do with their body.

creedp wrote: »
    Some people have a similar view on fuel tax .. car users are such a waste of scarce resources!

How is that "similar" to smoking? And increasing fuel tax effects everyone (including those who don't drive), and please tell me how increasing tax on cigerattes effects non-smokers? This kind of arguments thrown around by those who support smoking (why do I have to put up with crying babies in the public, what about people farting in public - I have heard it all) doesn't really make sense, and those who make to those ridiculous statements know it too. Sure, if you ask me why are people allowed to drink, okay, there is a parallel there, and it's hard to explain. Yet smoking is still unique because unless a smoker can just swallow the smoke and never exhale, they are polluting and probably damaging someone else, let it be at home, or out and about. Sorry about the rant-ish reply.
    No I still think people should be allowed do their own thing and make their own choices in life.

It's like A*******.....I don't have the right to tell another human being what to do with their body.

I would agree with you on that, yet we do have laws in the country where those below 18 are not allowed buy tobacco / alcohol right? Exactly the same way we (as a society) don't allow certain people (those who have poor eyesight for example or epileptics or people who have history of drink driving) not drive on the public roads. Because they can not only harm themselves, but harm others too. And as a society we should agree that smoking is bad - not just to the smoker, but to everyone. So penalize it, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Fair enough, but don't expect the Public Heath system to have to care for you when you fall down with cancer or some other tobacco related illness.

(Why women smoke is one of the most bewildering things one could see. They surely know their breath stinks to high heaven and their skin ages prematurely?)

• Advertisement

Gophur wrote: »
    Fair enough, but don't expect the Public Heath system to have to care for you when you fall down with cancer or some other tobacco related illness.

(Why women smoke is one of the most bewildering things one could see. They surely know their breath stinks to high heaven and their skin ages prematurely?)

I could die of lung cancer even though I have never smoked a fag in my life. Oh and I have private health insurance! I happily pay my own way.

And it's amazing what make up and chewing gum can do.

A horrible attitude like yours is harder to mask though!

Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out OK for her.

A horrible attitude like yours ......!

In what respect? ;)

In what respect? ;)

Just the general nasty tone assuming that I am going to want public health care to fix me when I have broken myself due to my vices.

Anything can happen to anybody at anytime no matter how healthy they are or how clean living they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Ah there are plenty of arguments to stop smoking and no one that i know of thinks its good or heathy. Raising taxes on them simply forces more buyers into the black economy. A change of attitude is needed on smoking, even the pictures (disgusting but effective) of dieseases caused by smoking on the box would help more than raising the tax.

A bit OT. but the health system comment is just blinkered, The risks are as high for many activities, such as Eating too many fry ups, being fat. Running marathons and playing sports. Driving even. These all give a higher lightly hood of having to use the public health system. Thats called a social society.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out OK for her.

Well she will die of it eventually. No point in beating around the bush.

But thanks anyway xx

Just the general nasty tone assuming that I am going to want public health care to fix me when I have broken myself due to my vices.

I don't see how you can infer any "tone" from a written post!
    Anything can happen to anybody at anytime no matter how healthy they are or how clean living they are.

Yep, that's true and it's unfortunate. There's no issue with people who are unlucky. People who take a risk and fall victim, as a result, have to take responsibility for the implications of their own actions.

I don't see how you can infer any "tone" from a written post!

I am a registered complaint handler in my job, trust me tone comes out in written correspondance ;)

It speaks volumes :D

I am a registered complaint handler in my job, trust me tone comes out in written correspondance ;)

In this case, you are incorrect! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I prefered it when we weere discussing throwing butts out of windows. :cool:

Never argue with a smoker, all they'll do is light up and blow smoke in your face :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

How is that "similar" to smoking? And increasing fuel tax effects everyone (including those who don't drive), and please tell me how increasing tax on cigerattes effects non-smokers? This kind of arguments thrown around by those who support smoking (why do I have to put up with crying babies in the public, what about people farting in public - I have heard it all) doesn't really make sense, and those who make to those ridiculous statements know it too. Sure, if you ask me why are people allowed to drink, okay, there is a parallel there, and it's hard to explain. Yet smoking is still unique because unless a smoker can just swallow the smoke and never exhale, they are polluting and probably damaging someone else, let it be at home, or out and about. Sorry about the rant-ish reply.

In fairness calm down a bit .. you are obviously a non-smoker:) maybe even a past smoker - there is nothing worse that the wrath of a past smoker ..

There was a seperate thread on here recently where many contributors called for an increase in fuel duty so as the cure the problems associated with poor planning which resulted in people living too far from work and wasting scarce fuel in commuting by car. They didn't like this commuting lark so they wanted fuel priced out of these commuters reach .. its in that context I made the point. In your case Im not sure what crying babies and heavy farters have to do with the argument but you're entitled to your opinions. In relation to your point re: smokers and your health maybe you should campaign for banning cars for urban areas completely, especially diesels, and to achieve this campaign for higher fuel duties to penalise diesel drivers. After all they are harming others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Back on topic please.

Feel free to carry on the other stuff in the off topic tread.

Advertisement