Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffie Terminal Cancer

• 17-02-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Just found out my 6 yo Staffie has terminal cancer- out of the blue
    im absolutely devastasted- havent cried in years but blubbering this morning, dreading what we have to do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

do what you have to when the time is right. just be there at the end, its all he/she'd want :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm very sorry to hear that.

The only recommendation I can make is to not rush into taking any action. So long as she's not suffering, you have plenty of time to continue to show her that she's loved. As DT says, "when the time is right" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

thanks guys, just so sad. Kaba has been such a great dog don't know what i'll do without her. Never thought something like this would hit me so hard- would have expected to be upset but not this much

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

So sorry to hear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

really sorry to hear it mark, just enjoy the time you have left and spoil the her rotten in the mean time. when the time comes let her go, and think about some day offering another staffie the love that exists in your home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

So sorry.. What a horrendous shock to get, no wonder you're devastated :(
    Can only echo what Seamus said about not rushing into any action as you need time to get your head round this. Enjoy and treasure every precious minute with her. Really hope you have supportive and understanding vet.
    Thining about you and sending you both a massive hug xx

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

mark_jmc wrote: »
    Just found out my 6 yo Staffie has terminal cancer- out of the blue
    im absolutely devastasted- havent cried in years but blubbering this morning, dreading what we have to do

i'm devastated for you, i had a 5 yr old springer that was diagnosed with terminal cancer 2 yrs ago this march, he lived a very good life till that june so make the most of what time ye have left together. dont rush into any decisions but i'll also say dont leave her get too sick either. i'm thinking of you at this awful time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

There's nothing worse than having to make that decision...

recently had to do it with my dog of 16 years,i cant remember much of my life without him being there,im just 21...

its like losing a family member or best friend...

best advice i could give is cherish every moment with her,take lots of photos too...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

So sorry to hear about your dog. Has your vet given you any advice? My Golden Cocker was diagnosed with liver cancer in November 2010 and only given a couple of months to live, and he is still with us. With a combination of medication and diet he has defeated the odds. So hang in there, and when the time is right to say goodbye, you will know. Make the most of every day coz each day after such a devastating blow is a bonus. Thinking of you and your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

have you a pic of the poor little lad mark? would love to see him as im a staffie owner too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Im so sorry:( All you can do is what is best for her,enjoy every minute with her and if and when its time be their for her xxxxx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

:(:( im so sorry to hear, just cherish every moment you have with her until its time. Reading some of the posts and thinking about my 2 dogs passing is very upsetting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

seamus wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to hear that.

The only recommendation I can make is to not rush into taking any action. So long as she's not suffering, you have plenty of time to continue to show her that she's loved. As DT says, "when the time is right" :(
    +1 So sorry to hear that, its really awful getting such devastating news. Have been through it myself so i know how bad ye must be feeling right now. :(

Do you know what type of cancer it is yet? Is chemo an option at all? My dog was diagnosed with a B cell Lymphoma and she lasted 31months from diagnosis with chemo so you may get a good bit more time yet if you research your options.Chemo doesnt affect animals the way it does humans in case you're worried,most tolerate it amazingly well. Also dont be afraid to get a second opinion if you think it may help.

Hi all,
    many thanks for your thoughts & replies. We had to make the very difficult decision to put Kaba to sleep on saturday morning. She had a very aggressive form of cancer that had started in her femur and was spreading to her lungs- there was 0% chance of recovery and the the prognosis was that it would get extremely painful within a week- it is frightening how quickly it moved, it went from us thinking she had a problem with her cruciate ligament (worst case scenario operation) to being put to sleep within a week.
    Our Vet said that we could have held on to her for a week or two but that her pain would have been immense- we didn't feel that that was right and we could see the impact it had on her already.
    My wife and I are very upset but at the end of the day we did right by Kaba until the very end. Both of us were with her when she went to sleep- very upsetting but glad that we did.
    I never thought that a pets death would affect me as much as this but I suppose this just shows how much she meant to us. We will miss her but have loadas of lovely memories.
    THanks for listening.

I have a jpeg of Kaba with her little 'brother' gizmo- can someone let me know how I can post this up?
    Thanks a mil,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

hi mark, sorry to hear about kaba, you did the right thing and having you there at the end would have made it much easier on her.

go to www.tinypic.com to uplaod a pic. it will give you the link you need to post here

So sorry... You know you did the right thing though albeit it's the hardest thing in the world to do :( Been through it once and it broke my heart. You'e got great memories to hold on to and hope they are of comfort to yourself and your wife. Really looking forward to seeing a pic of her,
    Take care x

2ef3h4m.jpg

Aww, just look at that souful wee face! She was beautiful :) The other fellow looks like a cheeky wee rascal! Hope he's doing ok without her :(
    Many thanks for sharing...

Advertisement