Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twisted Hazel

Options
  • 17-02-2012 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I found a Corylus 'Contorta' in the bargain area of the garden centre yesterday. I've no idea how old it is, it's in a 5L pot and is about two foot (presume from graft).

It's in ok condition, just had a lot of weeds and very poor pruning otherwise I can't see anything wrong with it.

I can't really decide what to do with it as I think they are prone to dying on you very easily? I do have an area I could plant it but it's not ready yet and I was under the impression that it's getting on a bit late to be moving the Corylus.

So anyone want to make the decision for me...plant out or keep in the pot and look after it for another year?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have one in pretty close to permanent shade, and it's very happy. i get about half a dozen nuts from it every year. it's in about five years, and i had to prune it because it was reaching about seven foot tall in breadth and height.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Have one "Thrown" in to a bed getting way too big now ... never pruned and forgotten about but still thrives... I find it hardy ... But I have lost so many plants over the years kept in Pots to "nurse" better... I have decided to try a plant into an ideal spot in the garden and try give them a better start... I found I hadn't the time for Container gardening
    You might find the plant to be pot bound (Considering where you found the plant) try tease out some roots what ever you do Ground or Pot... You'd need at least a 10L pot to give it a good chance and try do it before bud breaks... my 10C worth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Cheers, grand I'll plant it out so. Couldn't make up my mind so at least I can blame someone else if it goes wrong :P

It's not pot bound...tbh not sure why it was in the bargain section as I can't see what wrong with it. May just be as it was pruned badly making it an "ugly" shape but whatever anyway I got 70% off.

I have quite a substanial container garden at this point so wasn't really looking to a tree into the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

they often die because people don't see and prune the shoots from the rootstock - they'll take all the strength, watch for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have one in a very large pot and it is healthy and ok, but is not growing any bigger. I was thinking I would plant it into the ground but I will need help to do it and time has moved on... would it be too late to move it now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I have quite a substanial container garden at this point so wasn't really looking to a tree into the mix.
    it'll grow into a shrub, not a tree. as planetX mentions, they're grafted onto rootstock to stop them suckering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've got one planted in a border for about 6 years and it's only gained about 2 feet in height. The only thing I do is remove the suckers as they grow much taller. Therefore, I think you'd get away with keeping it in a larger pot until you can plant it.

it'll grow into a shrub, not a tree. as planetX mentions, they're grafted onto rootstock to stop them suckering.

If planted out the end result will be a tree, it will just take decades for it reach a height. I don't think they graft onto dwarf stocks.

Looksee, from my understanding and what has been confirmed here, now is the time to plant out, if you can't get it out in the next couple of weeks than wait till next Dec.

If planted out the end result will be a tree, it will just take decades for it reach a height.
    i've never seen a curly hazel which is easy to identify as a 'tree'. they're usually multi-stemmed shrubs, certainly not a lollipop shape.

i've never seen a curly hazel which is easy to identify as a 'tree'. they're usually multi-stemmed shrubs, certainly not a lollipop shape.

I have seen one that was 50 years + that would be leaning more on the defintion of tree...they are one of those that blur the line of tree/shrub...I see/call them a tree for their end result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I believed they are grafted as it is easier to propagate this way ...they won't come true to form from seed ... not quite sure if you can do cuttings... I would imagine the suckers are from the root stock (Which I believe to be Common Hazel... ) so maybe if you are getting loads of suckers the Contorta scion is stressed or a poor graft...Unless the contorta is trying to revert back to common... is this possible?

i think i remember reading that they're grafted onto turkish hazel rootstock, but am open to correction on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

i think i remember reading that they're grafted onto turkish hazel rootstock, but am open to correction on that.

I had one that was left neglected and the rootstock took over - it was just common hazel.
    It's only bare-root that you need to hurry to plant. OP said this one's in a pot, so you can plant it at any time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I have one that is approx 15 years old - in a shady spot (deciduous trees on 3 sides of it) and is now about 10-12ft high. Grows away happily but sends up suckers whenever your back is turned, but its no bother cutting them out. Have never had too many nuts from it -- maybe a few dozen at best. Branches are lovely in winter and early spring before leaves appear.

4 years ago I bought a "red" contorted hazel which is in full sun and growing very slowly. I may need to move it in a year or so but its not nearly as vigorous as its "green" cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

I found a Corylus 'Contorta' in the bargain area of the garden centre yesterday. I've no idea how old it is, it's in a 5L pot and is about two foot (presume from graft).

It's in ok condition, just had a lot of weeds and very poor pruning otherwise I can't see anything wrong with it.

I can't really decide what to do with it as I think they are prone to dying on you very easily? I do have an area I could plant it but it's not ready yet and I was under the impression that it's getting on a bit late to be moving the Corylus.

So anyone want to make the decision for me...plant out or keep in the pot and look after it for another year?

we have one for years, no maintenance, no care, just planted 2m from house. and you can eat the nuts although i didn't notice them until maybe 8 years after planting. HTH

Jaysus well not sure now where I heard they were such a death risk, sounds like you can just bung them in the ground!

Slightly off topic...what's the max distance needed for pollination for another tree?

Advertisement