Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Will you avail of the hyperthreading in the 2600K? It won't be any advantage in games but it depends on what kind of work that you use it for.

SSD - I recommend the Crucial M4 instead.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=53778
    out of stock at the moment but there's this one too:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46110

The OCZ Agility is an asynchronous drive which uses compression to increase speeds. This gives inflated results for the speeds which will drop when the drive is full or when that data is incompressible.

750W would be enough for two 7970s, but you could get an 800W gold rated PSU for cheaper than the 850 HX.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33065

Monitor... what about an IPS or 120Hz panel for that budget?

I also think that you should get smaller RAM and a good heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,923.84 + €30 shipping
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€167.99
    Noctua NH-D14, Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1366/1155/1156|€67.99
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€191.82
    16GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1333)|€76.49
    Cooler Master HAF Advanced 932 black, ohne Netzteil|€119.90
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3|€165.99
    PLEXTOR PX-L890SA|€27.49
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€86.01
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s|€114.90
    Super-Flower SF800P14XE Golden Green 80plus gold Modular|€119.80
    Sapphire HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€511.48
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M (silber)|€253.98

Black monitor is out of stock and I think it would be a bit better. There's other IPS monitors too. A lot seem to be around the 23'' mark rather than 24''.
    At that resolution, a 7950 would be plenty and it overclocks well.
    16GB is a lot of RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What specific work are you going to be using the computer for? To justify a 2600K and 16GB of RAM, you'd want to be doing some pretty heavy encoding or VM work.

Monotype's build is very good. The only changes I'd make is to maybe drop to a cheaper motherboard, and keep the 2600K, if it ends up that you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mmorr

Hi

Thanks for your response.

CPU & RAM
    I won't be upgrading again for a few years (last computer I bought was in 2006) so I want to get something that will last 4-5 years & still be useable. Hyper-threading isn't much use in games now but probably will be in 1-2 years. Same with the RAM.

SSD
    Sounds good

Monitor
    Can you tell me the differences between IPS & the monitor I had on the spec? I don't know a lot about monitors so the simpler the explaination the better.

Also, how are hardwareversand.de with regard to returning items that are not working etc.

Thanks again
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

mmorr wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks for your response.

CPU & RAM
    I won't be upgrading again for a few years (last computer I bought was in 2006) so I want to get something that will last 4-5 years & still be useable. Hyper-threading isn't much use in games now but probably will be in 1-2 years. Same with the RAM.

SSD
    Sounds good

Monitor
    Can you tell me the differences between IPS & the monitor I had on the spec? I don't know a lot about monitors so the simpler the explaination the better.

Also, how are hardwareversand.de with regard to returning items that are not working etc.

Thanks again
    Michael

In the next 5 years you still won't need 16gb of ram for gaming, you would be better off getting 8gb of high spec ram now (I would choose this with that budget, given the price you would have to rebalance, though)

As for monitors. Basically IPS monitors have great colour reproduction, you would use this for video production or photo editing - that sort of thing. If you plan on gaming you should look at a 120hz monitor, this will have a much higher refresh rate than an IPS monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

In the next 5 years you still won't need 16gb of ram for gaming, you would be better off getting 8gb of high spec ram now (I would choose this with that budget, given the price you would have to rebalance, though)

As for monitors. Basically IPS monitors have great colour reproduction, you would use this for video production or photo editing - that sort of thing. If you plan on gaming you should look at a 120hz monitor, this will have a much higher refresh rate than an IPS monitor.
    Sandy Bridge doesn't care at all about your RAM. you might gain 2fps in game over generic 1333 cl9 RAM. also, that RAM runs at 1.65v, where SB doesn't work properly with anything over 1.5v.

OP, stick with that 16gb kit. RAM is only going to get more expensive, and at your extreme budget, it can easily fit in.

Hyper Threading has been around for donkeys years, and i reckon it'll take few more of them before games developers even think of using it. get the 2500K and throw the change into a big SSD, something you'll want to last 5 years.

with monitors, i used to look at response times as a major decisive factor, but i honestly can't tell the difference between mine (2ms) and a mates 6ms monitor, and I'm obsessed with picture quality (I'm the kinda guy that would wait 5min for a 1080p music video to load rather than watch at 480p.

if it was my money @ your budget, i would do whatever possible to get a DELL U2711 ips (ultra high deff @ 1600x1440) + 7970 even if i had to cut corners elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

+1 on 2500k. If hyper threading is not needed, then no point on over spending on it, just to future prove it. It took ages for them to use more then 1 and 2 cores. No one said that the will even consider on using HT in gaming as current CPUs are not even fully used out by games!

With budget like this. Would g for 16gb ram too. It's cheap, why decking not :D

7970 - yes please. 7950? Even better of next year you can drop second 7950!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mmorr

Thanks for response.

I will probably go with Monotype's build with the i5 given your comments about hyper-threading in games.

How are hardwareversand.de about returning items if there is aproblem?

Also, are hardwareversand.de more reliable than Scan.co.uk or Overclockers.co.uk?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

HWVS will be cheaper than Overclockers and Scan, probably by a decent amount.

I generally dislike Scan's customer service (especially given their recent habbit of breaking motherboards, and then charging for repair inquiries) so I haven't really dealt with them. Overclockers are fine for returns. They're easy to set up, and decently quick.

I've never dealt with HWVS myself, but plenty of people here have had to return items, and there's been very few problems.

Advertisement