Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowe getting rid of Renmore Park one-way system

Options
  • 17-02-2012 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Fair play to him on this as it wasn't the best idea in the first place to be fair. We need more dynamic forward thinkers like Crowe on the city council.
    Cllr Michael Crowe has this week welcomed the news that the one way system introduced in Renmore some years back is to be abolished.
    “The one way system put in place via the erection of a barrier separates Renmore Road and Renmore Park and was part of a process which was to try to reduce rat running through the area,” said Cllr Crowe, who chairs the Galway City Council’s transportation and infrastructure committee. “It resulted in access off the Renmore Road to Renmore Park being closed and re-routing traffic around a longer way.
    “The Renmore area has suffered enormously over the years as a result of rat running through the whole area,” he added. “This is particularly bad at peak morning and evening times. This one-way system was put in place at the time to try and curb this problem. It has not worked, is not being policed properly, and from my own observations is primarily only been conformed to by local residents.
    “Some time back, I requested that the city council roads section remove this system and go back to the old way. This, in my view, would be far better for both the local residents and also the local businesses of Renmore. After meeting this week with the director of transport and infrastructure he has now consented to my request and the barrier will be removed shortly.
    “This system was put there with the best of intentions but is not working and it is pointless leaving it in situ,” Cllr Crowe continued. “I have observed this over a long period of time and a lot of drivers who are rat running through Renmore simply ignore the barrier, make a dash around it and take off. As a result of this driver behaviour, it has only increased the chances of an accident. Therefore it is in the best interests of all to remove it.”

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/49330/renmore-one-way-system-to-be-scrapped-says-crowe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Welcome back Michael! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Canvasser wrote: »
    .... We need more dynamic forward thinkers ... on the city council.

Especially ones who have friends with a vague clue about how social media, including boards.ie, works. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Only the residents?...but surely they use the same road but it's not rat running because they have to drive that way to get out?

Maybe be quicker to tackle the actual traffic issues rather than the ways people try to get around them themselves. Douche

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Canvasser wrote: »
    Fair play to him on this as it wasn't the best idea in the first place to be fair. We need more dynamic forward thinkers like Crowe on the city council.

I agree Michael; it wasn't the best idea in the first place but fair play to you to him.

I use to use it as a Rat Run all the time.
    Thanks to Michael having his photo taken on that road highlighting the change to everybody who didn't need to know. I would have never known it was re-open. That will cut a bit of my time in the morning.

He must have got a few tips off Padraig Conneely; "Take a picture of me standing here".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

sgthighway wrote: »
    I agree Michael; it wasn't the best idea in the first place but fair play to you to him.

I use to use it as a Rat Run all the time.
    Thanks to Michael having his photo taken on that road highlighting the change to everybody who didn't need to know. I would have never known it was re-open. That will cut a bit of my time in the morning.

He must have got a few tips off Padraig Conneely; "Take a picture of me standing here".

Conneely really gets under my skin. This town needs a mutiny to turf out f**kers like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Ahhhhhh

I'm a resident of Renmore park and I can categorically state that the introduction of the one way in question has greatly enhance the safety of the area and hugely reduced the traffic in what is a residential area.

It HAS been policed quite regularly, so much so that I would not attempt to ignore it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GMusicMan

Ahhhhhh

I'm a resident of Renmore park and I can categorically state that the introduction of the one way in question has greatly enhance the safety of the area and hugely reduced the traffic in what is a residential area.
    Enjoying the extra 10 minutes in bed then I take it?

As for Cllr Crowe's "Forward Thinking" -fixing the councils mistake is hardly forward thinking, forward thinking would be preventing these kind of measures in the first place.

The councils answer to traffic in Galway has been to spend millions installing traffic lights even though all statistical evidence suggests that lights only hinder traffic, where was the forward thinker there?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

not to resurrect the old chestnut, but do you have a link to that statistical evidence, in particular for roundabouts operating above design capacity. There seemed to be a view briarhill works better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, thanks Michael for helping to sort that out I guess.

Let's stick with the issue here, Renmore, and not get into discussion about other accomplishments or misgivings about Mr Crowe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The locals were the ones who persistently asked for this one way system to stop rat runners. It stops truckloads of idiots screaming down a steep hill in a residential area.

Obviously Crowe sided with the rats. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I can't speak on the one-way system because I don't drive but as a pedestrian, it does seem to have calmed the area down.

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know what the story is for the newest traffic lights (going across to Bon Secours from the pharmacy)? They're just there, constantly green, wasting electricity. They don't seem to be working traffic lights. Is there a future plan for them or are they decorative?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Canvasser ... or should that be Ollie?

Great to see you back after the pasting you got here around the time of last year's General Election. Seems to have taken you almost exactly a year to recover. Is there an election coming up or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ollie maybe you should take a course on how forums and social media work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ollie maybe you should take a course on how forums and social media work.

Can we really afford to let our elected Representatives bill us for a 50 grand course on how to use Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

Can we really afford to let our elected Representatives bill us for a 50 grand course on how to use Facebook.

it would probably be an online course but yet they would still manage to claim mileage and hotel expenses

Hey

I must say, Crowe has really got my back up over this.

Who is he representing? (It is not the people of Renmore) this decision possibly benefits one or two local shops but HUGELY decreases the quality of life for everyone else in Renmore.

I spoke with 3 neighbours over the weekend and all are opposed to the idea of the rat-run being re-opened. We spent YEARS getting this solution in place and this clown gets it removed with a stroke of his pen.

Crowe you are pissing a lot of people off in Renmore!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is there a residents association in the area? If so, then how could they let something like this go amiss?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is there a residents association in the area? If so, then how could they let something like this go amiss?

renmore.ie but no contact details & the form is broken.

I've sent a few emails looking for contact details. If I don't get a reply I know a few around that can point me in the right direction.

Who is he representing? (It is not the people of Renmore) this decision possibly benefits one or two local shops but HUGELY decreases the quality of life for everyone else in Renmore.

Crowe you are pissing a lot of people off in Renmore!

The barrier alienates everyone else in Renmore barre the people on one street, and "HUGELY decreases the quality of life" You're having a laugh right??

GMusicMan wrote: »
    The barrier alienates everyone else in Renmore barre the people on one street, and "HUGELY decreases the quality of life" You're having a laugh right??

Incorrect, the barrier keeps non-Renmore traffic out of Renmore at rush hour - simple as that. In fact the barrier inconvenience me almost daily as I have to take a slower route home. BUT the inconvenience is better than the hassle & safety issues the ratrunners cause.

Renmore is a residential estate, people & their families should not be subjected to the whim of speeding rat-runners as they frantically rush to be on time for work.

Yes hugely!
    • Talk to any household from the top of the hill to the exit on the Dublin road about the hassle they have reversing out of their drive way, into a tail back that can stretch back as far as the church. (Rat runners caught in a tail back are not accommodating people! people have nearly come to blows over it)
    • Or how about all the kids that have to cross that road on the way to either of the two primary schools in renmore..... I suppose its just tough ****e to them?
    • Renmore Avenue is busy enough with school traffic with out the rat run.
    • Or talk to the room full of people that filled the Renmore Hall a few years ago about this issue.
    • Or how about Bon Secours hospital who had to put in electric barriers to stop ratrunners, rat running a rat run! (I joke not!)

You have not had to deal with the issues we have had to deal with!

• Advertisement

Incorrect, the barrier keeps non-Renmore traffic out of Renmore at rush hour - simple as that.
    No you sir are incorrect! It keeps all traffic out of Renmore park, not out of Renmore, and yes it alienates other residents of Renmore who don't happen to live in Renmore Avenue/Park

Renmore is a residential estate, people & their families should not be subjected to the whim of speeding rat-runners as they frantically rush to be on time for work.
    That is poetic! You should write for the advertiser!
    "speeding rat-runners" "tail back that can stretch back as far as the church."
    How can you speed in a traffic jam?
    Yes hugely!
    • Talk to any household from the top of the hill to the exit on the Dublin road about the hassle they have reversing out of their drive way, into a tail back that can stretch back as far as the church. (Rat runners caught in a tail back are not accommodating people! people have nearly come to blows over it)
    • Or how about all the kids that have to cross that road on the way to either of the two primary schools in renmore..... I suppose its just tough ****e to them?
    • Renmore Avenue is busy enough with school traffic with out the rat run.
    • Or talk to the room full of people that filled the Renmore Hall a few years ago about this issue.
    • Or how about Bon Secours hospital who had to put in electric barriers to stop ratrunners, rat running a rat run! (I joke not!)

You have not had to deal with the issues we have had to deal with!
    I'm beginning to think you just like the term rat run and randomly embolding words
    36893q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

I have to say the driving at the renmore school in the mornings has gone to the dogs since he announced this. 3 cars drove straight through the red lights at the pedestrian crossing this morning, all young women flying it in towards town (probably late for work). There was a young child and her mother already on the road when they went through, needless to say they got the shock of their lives when I grabbed them both by the scruff of the neck and pulled them back onto the path when I seen that the cars weren't stopping. I could only get one licence plate (report sent to the gardai) but I will be keeping an eye out for the other cars again.

Well done crowe (embrassed to say I know you personally).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3 cars drove straight through the red lights at the pedestrian crossing this morning, all young women flying it in towards town (probably late for work).

And off they went to rat run through Renmore Park.

GMusicMan wrote: »
    No you sir are incorrect! It keeps all traffic out of Renmore park, not out of Renmore, and yes it alienates other residents of Renmore who don't happen to live in Renmore Avenue/Park

Whats your story? What can't you understand? Just trolling perhaps? Renmore is an estate, people live here. The only traffic that should be here is traffic from the area.

Regarding alienating (bolded that just for you!) other people in Renmore. There are four exits/entrances into Renmore.... the last one along the train was a joke before the one way was put in place. The removal of this exit for rat running has reduced the traffic through Renmore back as far as the Lurgan park rat run.

I reckon you don't give a **** about anyone else living here or the safety of any kids going to school, just as long as you get the handiest way in and out for your GOOD self! you the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Think of all the trees the Crowes would be saving, though, Gerard, by not having to use paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whats your story? What can't you understand? Just trolling perhaps? Renmore is an estate, people live here. The only traffic that should be here is traffic from the area.

Campaigning to get the driving test route changed, are you?

JustMary wrote: »
    Campaigning to get the driving test route changed, are you?

Why you you think that? That's the first mention of the driving tests in Renmore on this thread, trolling Mary :D They are on the roads here all the time we get a few a day - no problem with them they are generally courteous & slow.

I'd just rather if the hundred rat runners, who chase through from GMIT/Lurgan park and then cause a gridlock on in the city end of Renmore could stay on the Dublin road.

I don't understand why some of you have a problem with my oposition to the rat run. I bet you'd love it outside your gaff!

I have to say the driving at the renmore school in the mornings has gone to the dogs since he announced this. 3 cars drove straight through the red lights at the pedestrian crossing this morning, all young women flying it in towards town (probably late for work). There was a young child and her mother already on the road when they went through, needless to say they got the shock of their lives when I grabbed them both by the scruff of the neck and pulled them back onto the path when I seen that the cars weren't stopping. I could only get one licence plate (report sent to the gardai) but I will be keeping an eye out for the other cars again.

This is an perfect example of what we deal with.... lots of individuals who think they are a 'little bit special' all pushing the boundaries that small bit. Which is fine for a once off, but with an endless stream of them 'nipping through' you take your life in your hands stepping on the road.

• Advertisement

Renmore is an estate, people live here.
    I am aware of this actually.
    The only traffic that should be here is traffic from the area.
    I 100% agree with you here, Renmore is an estate, not Renmore Park -this is a street, Other people live in Renmore too you know and that barrier alienates them because it cuts of a channel of traffic, thus increasing the burden on the other channels for example the junction at duggans Do you understand my point now?
    I reckon you don't give a **** about anyone else living here or the safety of any kids going to school, just as long as you get the handiest way in and out for your GOOD self!
    Thats an unfair comment, I wholeheartedly care, I sincerely doubt your motives though and think you may actually just enjoy an extra ten minutes in bed. Also why do you think I need to get the handiest "way in" -I'll let you think about that one.
    Or how about all the kids that have to cross that road on the way to either of the two primary schools in renmore..... I suppose its just tough ****e to them?
    Renmore Avenue is busy enough with school traffic with out the rat run.
    So are the kids walking to school or being driven? I think you need to relax more you'll live longer and be able to catch up on the ten minutes of sleep a day you're going to lose with no barrier.
    Lastly,
    you the man!
    Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement