Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowe getting rid of Renmore Park one-way system

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

It's a pity that this thread has descended into a petty squabble among people in Renmore over rat runs right outside their homes, discourteous drivers, and the quality of people's lives.

I think that the point of the OP in starting this thread was to point out that one of our City Councillors is once again taking the credit for something which either a/ had little to do with him in the first place or b/ is actually of NO benefit to the people who live beside us.

With all due respect, I think it's more important to focus on how clientelist and disfunctional our local government system is instead of getting into arguments over how people can't pull out of their driveways in the mornings ... much as I have sympathy, I don't actually live in the area.

To me, it's more important that we get rid of this culture where local politicians go around taking credit for decisions that either have nothing to do with them or don't in fact improve the lives of people.

Gombeen Ireland is alive and kickin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

celty that's the post of the thread.

I've laid out my reasons for opposing the removal of the one-way (my kids are up & down these roads all the time, I'd like them to be as safe as possible), if some can't accept this at face value there is not much I can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've been thinking about this thread and the claims that Renmore is an estate and no one else except residents has a right to be driving there.

The way I see it, Renmore is a suburb. It's got some estates for sure, but it's also got
    • an army base (the only one in the area)
    • government offices (department of defence)
    • a private hospital (one of two in the city)
    • a hospice (one only in the area)
    • a special school (with pupils from as far as Moycullen, or maybe further)
    • a very popular GAA club (Liam Mellows) which I'm sure draws people from more than just the immediate area
    • a beach (the only one on the east of the city)
    • a gaelscoil (with brand new buildings)
    Lots and lots of reasons for non-residents to be there.

Now I have every sympathy if driver-behaviour is causing problems, and fully support whatever measures are needed to calm the traffic (one-ways, judder bars, red-light camera etc), but I don't agree that only residents can or should be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

JustMary wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this thread and the claims that Renmore is an estate and no one else except residents has a right to be driving there.

The way I see it, Renmore is a suburb. It's got some estates for sure, but it's also got
    • an army base (the only one in the area)
    • government offices (department of defence)
    • a private hospital (one of two in the city)
    • a hospice (one only in the area)
    • a special school (with pupils from as far as Moycullen, or maybe further)
    • a very popular GAA club (Liam Mellows) which I'm sure draws people from more than just the immediate area
    • a beach (the only one on the east of the city)
    • a gaelscoil (with brand new buildings)
    Lots and lots of reasons for non-residents to be there.

Now I have every sympathy if driver-behaviour is causing problems, and fully support whatever measures are needed to calm the traffic (one-ways, judder bars, red-light camera etc), but I don't agree that only residents can or should be considered.

... add the leisure centre (Kingfisher) to that list Mary. Also, some of the kids in the primary school travel from as far away as Doughsika each day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

The real problem here is the lack of legislation to close local roads to through-traffic. In Germany and France street access can be restricted to residents only or only to traffic with business in the area. The only "engineering" needed is to put up a sign.

This also relates to the lack of legislation to permit resident only parking.

Time to lobby your local TDs and councillors?

It is entirely possible you might find you had cross party support - possibly including Councillor Crowe - who chairs the city transport committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

celty wrote: »
    Think of all the trees the Crowes would be saving, though, Gerard, by not having to use paper.

But Crowe hates trees, remember ?

I think he's just latched on to it to make it look like he's doing something. Only Renmore residents have any vested interest in this. Granted, not only Renmore residents visit Renmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement